Costume Suggestion: More Animal Costume Pieces

Leowyld

Raccoons are my favorite animal and I have a great one on a certain other superhero MMO - see avatar (thanks to some pieces that other game added a couple years ago). Anyway... while a masked pattern for one of the existing animal or monstrous heads would be nice, my more realistic/plausible suggestion to start is...

A striped pattern for one of the animated wolf tails, even using the pattern from the cat tail would be adequate, I think. I realize it is more work than it seems, but that would be my top costume suggestion currently.

But there is a reason I left the title more vague. This is a variety of costume type, overall, that I think said other superhero MMO has a lot of - in that game, there are not many varieties of beast hero you *cannot* create. That said, what is already here is a nice start, in fact I think I very much prefer the look of the big cats and minotaur here. While I realize resources here are much more limited than there, I thought it would be nice to have an open topic for others to give suggestions on this subject...

(But first, the raccoon tail. Heh)

I agree with this, it would be nice to have more options for tails and ears especially. Raccoon definitely would be cool to see options for, and I'd personally like to see a fluffier cat tail available because those would be more round while the wolf tails end in a pointed tip. It would be nice to have proper fox ears, but the wolf tail is pretty easy to color like a fox. We also don't really have dog ears or any sort of dog tail, so that'd be cool to see.

Owl heads/faces would be cool.

And here's a thing: how about helmets/masks that are obviously that, but also, stylized to look like various animal heads?  "The Lone Wolf" might not BE a wolf/man hybrid, but he might wear a wolf-helmet and animated wolf-tail on his wolf-themed costume .... right?

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Perhaps a special 'muzzles' section could be implemented beaks of varying looks, a pig snout, etc. They would cover the human mouth/nose. Also, hanging/floppy ears of different lengths, and a few more tails.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

It'd be awesome to have more options as well as morphing style travel powers as well. I kind of did this with a panther alt who then "runs on all fours" via the travel power.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I assume you know about the old SG, Simian Defense Force?

They all used the Alien face with some goggles to make an ape-like face.

I used the alien face back in the day to make an ape-like character.  Didn't see a whole lot of play, though.

More animal-type heads to start, I think.

Then they can add some new tail designs and furry bits for costume details.

I am not opposed to animal-styled headgear but I think it falls far behind letting people make more and more different animalistic characters in terms of popularity.

I, for one, would like to see more lizard/reptile/amphibian heads.  Not that I have plans on making a hundred such characters that would use those heads, but everyone that makes a lizard character is stuck with that one head.

My ex-girlfriend, who had a single character on my account years ago - a Claws/SR scrapper "Catgirl" - and owuld like to recreate her (when she can find the time to dive back in to CoH) mentioned something she'd like to see:

More patterns, especially ones suited to cats (leopard and cheetah "rosettes" / spots was the one she specifically named).

And she's right, a few more animal-inspired patterns for coloring would go a long way towards diversifying possible costumes.  A Wolf-man should not look like a Jackal-man, and neither should look like a Coyote-man, nor a Fox-man.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

If you want to see a particular costume piece put in game, my best advice is to model and rig it, and then send it to the development team.  If it works and doesn't have issues, as I understand, adding costume pieces is always wanted by more players, so, build it, then send it and if it's of quality, they may just add it to the roster.

If you want to see a particular costume piece put in game, my best advice is to model and rig it, and then send it to the development team.

That's not very good advice, considering most of us lack any of the skills to even attempt something like that.

If you want to see a particular costume piece put in game, my best advice is to model and rig it, and then send it to the development team.  If it works and doesn't have issues, as I understand, adding costume pieces is always wanted by more players, so, build it, then send it and if it's of quality, they may just add it to the roster.

I don't know what to model it *in,* or what to rig it *to.*  My skills aren't exactly pro grade but I can steal *ahem* repurpose assets with the best of them as well as any other schlub.  I keep hoping for someone a little more... professional... than myself to put up a basic guide to CoH asset creation.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

My interest in this is as a player, not a developer. I do not have the skills to create it myself.

If we had the skills to make changes to the game ourselves, there wouldn't be a need for a suggestions & feedback forum. :P

My interest in this is as a player, not a developer. I do not have the skills to create it myself.

If we had the skills to make changes to the game ourselves, there wouldn't be a need for a suggestions & feedback forum. :P

I wouldn't take the advice as a slight toward you.  It's just economics, really.

Remember, these guys aren't really getting paid to run the game.  They're just going off donations to keep the servers running and upkept.  Also, if this community is as praise worthy as people say, there is likely generous and talented players around that you might be able to coerce/bribe motivate to rig a particular cosmetic for submission.

But my curiosity lies in just how many cosmetics have been added in such a way since the game was brought back.  Is submitting a model/texture/rig for adding in the game a viable solution?  If so, I wouldn't mind slaving for a few weekends in whatever modeling app to get some stuff I want in.

I wouldn't take the advice as a slight toward you.  It's just economics, really.

It's just that it could be applicable to virtually every single topic put on this suggestion forum. But it was posted in mine. It's hard to not take that a little personally.

It's just that it could be applicable to virtually every single topic put on this suggestion forum. But it was posted in mine. It's hard to not take that a little personally.

People don't post in every thread they read.  Do you?  You probably only reply to things you're interested in.

You should set your default to "not personal" when on the internet.  It's the best way for us to keep our sanity.

You should set your default to "not personal" when on the internet.  It's the best way for us to keep our sanity.

+1 Inf. We shouldn't take things personally unless it's been made EXPLICITLY clear. To do otherwise creates unnecessary drama and stress for only yourself. I have been my own worst enemy because of this in the past, and still sometimes fail at this.

I'm out.

I saw them post basically the same thing in another thread recently.

But the state of the game is such that I wouldn't expect too much unless you could do what you could to help them out.

They are not getting paid and I am sure that they have enough on their plate just to keep the game running.

Any actual updates are bonuses, and there is no shortage of people asking to see things changed or added.

And I say this as someone that wouldn't even know where to begin working on submitting new costume pieces.

Those are good points. And, to be fair, I said in my opening post that I wasn't expecting them to be able to do much (why I said a stripe pattern for a tail would be more plausible than a new head) and that they had very limited resources. It is only a request.