Trick or treat etiquette? Rules?

Gerswin

3 hours ago, lemming said:

One other thing during the Motel League that I didn't see mentioned:

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Whispered_Rumor

If you get this tip, see if the league can set up a team for running these.   Every so often, you'd get someone below 50 start the mission causing the whole team to drop level.

I mentioned this for Torchbearer's league. It will randomly drop the one team to a low level, which during the PI events, is going to wipe the rest of your team. We tried running a Tip team w/in the league, but it was too much hassle during any of the zone events. Since then we do not run tips w/in the league itself. Generally speaking if you can get multiple people that have these, they can drop and run together, which clears the whole thing faster for all of the rewards.

• Thumbs Up 1

faceplant.jpg

Torchbearer Temporary Hero-ing:

Experts in - Soil Analysis, Hamidon & Hive Viscera Clean-up, Mayhem Motel Menacing, Advertising Aficionados, Undertaking, Undertaken, and........

Spoiler

The Spanish Inquisition!!!

17 hours ago, Herah said:

I mentioned this for Torchbearer's league. It will randomly drop the one team to a low level, which during the PI events, is going to wipe the rest of your team. We tried running a Tip team w/in the league, but it was too much hassle during any of the zone events. Since then we do not run tips w/in the league itself. Generally speaking if you can get multiple people that have these, they can drop and run together, which clears the whole thing faster for all of the rewards.

Depends on the league leader if tip teams split off completely, or if they set it up as one of the six.  I've done both.  As long as someone doesn't just run off to do a tip mission without warning.   However, if everyone on a team has the tip, it does go quickly to get all those badges at once since with stealth and some form of TP it's a quick mission.  Longest bit is switching alignment, so if I'm doing the PI Motel, I tend to do the redside rumor first and switch to blue before the motel, or after everything else since the tip doesn't go away until used.  (Still have a couple characters with the tip from years past)

Pretty much all the etiquette rules boil down to "Will this screw with other people getting rewards?  If so, don't do that."

On 10/1/2023 at 10:15 AM, Greycat said:

Precisely *because* there are tons of people - enemies are constantly coming out, so you're sure to get bosses and get all the badges, get a ton of XP (and if they do the same as last year, get your 10 prismatics quickly.)

Depends on your build, I guess. I've been running my Brute around my little route in Peregrine and I've gotten most of the badges already and my prismatics. Plus, no lag from the huge league by the hospital . YMMV 

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

• 2 weeks later
On 9/27/2023 at 1:01 PM, GM Crumpet said:

As GM's the only things we frown on are AFK masterminds leeching the rewards, and bad manners.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here because, while I understand the sentiment of this statement is well-meaning, I think it has the potential to divide the community. 

Player etiquette and player rules (CoC) are two different things. One is required and one is not. Etiquette is voluntary and if you don't agree with someone's etiquette you have multiple tools at your disposal to avoid those players. To my knowledge, AFK masterminds is not a violation of the CoC. If I missed that rule then you can ignore this post. My question is how is this statement not discriminatory against a specific group of players who haven't broken any rules? If AFK masterminds is such a problem that it requires a GM to "frown on" that behavior why is there no rule against afk masterminds?

The big argument I see repeated here over and over is that AFK masterminds are leeching. 

Let's clarify a few things here. Leeching, refers to a player who is being rewarded while not contributing to whatever activity or event is being attempted by the group. So, let's define contributing. Since we're discussing ToT, I'll stick to that as an example. There are only 2 required activities in regards to farming doors at the motel, clicking doors and killing trick npc's. In order to contribute you must perform one of these activities. You can certainly argue that some players are contributing more than others but that is completely irrelevant since any contribution would immediately mean you are not leeching. There is always someone in a group who is contributing the least. AFK masterminds are contributing by killing npc's. Labeling them as leeches is simply incorrect. 

The other argument is that AFK MM's are reducing the rewards that players would otherwise get. Well, this is the same for every player who is contributing and since we've already discovered that MM's are contributing then they deserve some portion of the rewards. Not to mention, since the AFK mastermind is helping you kill more npc's than you could if you were solo the reward drop rate should be more frequent. It could likely be argued that in some cases, AFK masterminds helping kill npc's increases the rewards received. Again, this argument is moot or simply incorrect.

So, what is the real issue with AFK MM's? It seems to me that some individuals have an issue with players getting rewarded for putting in less effort than them. My question is, why? Is it envy? Cause it sounds like envy to me. Since when did it become unethical to work smarter not harder?

Again, if you don't agree with AFK MM's, then don't play with them. Don't invite them. Kick them from your league if you feel inclined to do so. These are just a few of the options you have at your disposal. As a player, you can even express your opinion on the matter in these very forums. I encourage you to do so, but stick to the facts and be honest about the situation. 

To my original reason for playing devil's advocate here, as a GM, it is my opinion that you should provide unbiased moderation and encourage the community to be inclusive of all playstyles that do not violate the CoC rather than promote a derogatory stigma that is unjustified. Discriminating one playstyle over another when both fall within the CoC rules is biased and furthers divisiveness in the community. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

15 minutes ago, Zeropoints said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here because, while I understand the sentiment of this statement is well-meaning, I think it has the potential to divide the community. 

Player etiquette and player rules (CoC) are two different things. One is required and one is not. Etiquette is voluntary and if you don't agree with someone's etiquette you have multiple tools at your disposal to avoid those players. To my knowledge, AFK masterminds is not a violation of the CoC. If I missed that rule then you can ignore this post. My question is how is this statement not discriminatory against a specific group of players who haven't broken any rules? If AFK masterminds is such a problem that it requires a GM to "frown on" that behavior why is there no rule against afk masterminds?

The big argument I see repeated here over and over is that AFK masterminds are leeching. 

Let's clarify a few things here. Leeching, refers to a player who is being rewarded while not contributing to whatever activity or event is being attempted by the group. So, let's define contributing. Since we're discussing ToT, I'll stick to that as an example. There are only 2 required activities in regards to farming doors at the motel, clicking doors and killing trick npc's. In order to contribute you must perform one of these activities. You can certainly argue that some players are contributing more than others but that is completely irrelevant since any contribution would immediately mean you are not leeching. There is always someone in a group who is contributing the least. AFK masterminds are contributing by killing npc's. Labeling them as leeches is simply incorrect. 

The other argument is that AFK MM's are reducing the rewards that players would otherwise get. Well, this is the same for every player who is contributing and since we've already discovered that MM's are contributing then they deserve some portion of the rewards. Not to mention, since the AFK mastermind is helping you kill more npc's than you could if you were solo the reward drop rate should be more frequent. It could likely be argued that in some cases, AFK masterminds helping kill npc's increases the rewards received. Again, this argument is moot or simply incorrect.

So, what is the real issue with AFK MM's? It seems to me that some individuals have an issue with players getting rewarded for putting in less effort than them. My question is, why? Is it envy? Cause it sounds like envy to me. Since when did it become unethical to work smarter not harder?

Again, if you don't agree with AFK MM's, then don't play with them. Don't invite them. Kick them from your league if you feel inclined to do so. These are just a few of the options you have at your disposal. As a player, you can even express your opinion on the matter in these very forums. I encourage you to do so, but stick to the facts and be honest about the situation. 

To my original reason for playing devil's advocate here, as a GM, it is my opinion that you should provide unbiased moderation and encourage the community to be inclusive of all playstyles that do not violate the CoC rather than promote a derogatory stigma that is unjustified. Discriminating one playstyle over another when both fall within the CoC rules is biased and furthers divisiveness in the community. 

I agree!  MMS should be banned and removed from the game!

• Game Master
3 hours ago, Zeropoints said:

AFK masterminds generally multibox and usually with more than three accounts. They don't click doors to replenish the enemies, and generally sit there for hours and hours while their pets earn them rewards.

Leagues are a delicate balance. The rewards are already reduced because only damage caused by your team count, then it's split between all teams who hit that enemy. Normally it doesn't matter. If a player is finding it hard to fight then they click doors. Everyone involved is generally doing something for the league. An AFK team not associated with the league is another drain on the league rewards. Yesterday I had half an hour to kill so went to PI and my level 36 blaster barely got 2 bubbles. My XP was in the single and double digit range. Hovering overhead was a flock of masterminds. Later I went to Kallisti Wharf and the league size was roughly the same and suddenly my XP was in the hundreds and thousands. I levelled three times in the half hour I was on.

That's the problem with so many AFK Masterminds. In KW I've been in leagues where someone has tried it and we just moved round the corner leaving them to it. With PI at the motel it's not so easy.  I went on at silly o'clock in the morning and there were a dozen MM's just standing there with their pets. No other players, just the AFK Masterminds. Many players are using the event as a way of fast levelling alts. Either alts they haven't played for a while or new alts they have created specifically for the event.

As GM's we have a duty to all players to have things as fair as possible. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. We have policies in place such as no multiboxing when servers are busy and creating strain on other players systems. Too many people and the lag is palpable. If you've done Mapserver with 2 or more leagues in one spot you'll experience a slide show and rewards will drop to almost nothing. The solution for that is for the leagues to move away from each other. One quick incan across the map and everythings fine. With ToT it's a similar principle. So many AFK Masterminds slows everything down to the point the lag makes the game borderline unplayable. Players are in it for the badges and PaPs, but also a large percentage is in it for the increased XP rewards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Zeropoints said:

That's exactly what a multi-boxing AFK Mastermind would say!  😛

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All classes can go AFK. Why not ban them all?

Other "classes" don't generate the graphical and server loads of a full team, or have 7 powers automatically activating.

• Thumbs Up 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Why stop with MM's? All classes can go AFK. Why not ban them all?

*Edited for punctuation

Because MMS are smelly, and no one likes them.  

The world would be a better place without them.

Pull the trigger Devs!

As the great Scarlet Witch once said “no more masterminds”

Again, if you don't agree with AFK MM's, then don't play with them. Don't invite them. Kick them from your league if you feel inclined to do so.

The problem is that you can't simply kick them out of the league/team and ignore them. They can park in the Murder Motel and go AFK, and there's nothing you can do to prevent them from leaving their pets on Aggressive to attack any mobs spawned by other people in the courtyard, draining XP. They don't have to be in a league with active players; they just have to stay in range of the spawns.

My problem isn't with Masterminds as an AT, an individual Mastermind type, or even gangs of MMs purportedly 'leeching' rewards.

My problem with AFK MMs is that the ToT league is generally a slideshow to begin with, then you add a bunch of MMs standing around with their 30000 pets just making it worse, and none of the players behind these accounts have to suffer the consequences their 'legal' horsefuckery leaves behind.

I'm not 'jealous' of how little effort an AFK mastermind has to put in to get rewarded, and I don't care that some percentage of the 'rewards' are being allocated to players that aren't actually playing. 

I'm frustrated by the sheer preponderance of lazy assholes that don't give a flying fuck about anyone else's experience.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, which is it, young feller?  You want I should freeze or get down on the ground?
If'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop.  And if'n I drop I'll be in motion.

9 hours ago, Zeropoints said:

You're not contributing when all you are doing is killing off mobs that other people are generating.   I've run a few characters thru PI on everlasting and when you are not hovering around with your robots, my characters get the five Prismatic Aether badges quickly.  When you are, not so fast.   That and running group fly & a repel field is a tad annoying.

Now if you were being active and helping anchor during GM hunts to the motel with incan and taking part in inane chatter, maybe.   Nor are you providing a level 50 to lead a team which is almost always handy.   You can be a bit hands off while doing that, it does require a bit of attention,  but just enough to invite people and incan when needed when the league isn't overflowing.

Now, if there was a good way to really tell who was AFK when in AE/TF/FB mode in this sort of situation, they could be ported down to the Talos border and zoned out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Player etiquette and player rules (CoC) are two different things. One is required and one is not. Etiquette is voluntary and if you don't agree with someone's etiquette you have multiple tools at your disposal to avoid those players. 

As of now you're correct, it's not against the rules, although it sure appears to be a gray area to me.  It becomes a problem though if there are enough afk MMs around that xp rewards for leagues is greatly reduced.  There's no way to avoid them unless the entire league decides to move to a new area not populated by a bunch of afk MMs.  So perhaps it should be against the rules.  

So, let's define contributing. 

If you're multi-box afk, you're not in a league.  As far as rewards, any damage you do is for yourself, not the league.  You're actually leeching xp from the League to yourself.  You're also not contributing you're secondary.  Especially if you're parking your afk MMs above the fray.  

Why the hell would I be envious of something I can easily do myself?  No, that's not it.  I'm pretty sure it's because if there are enough of you, you're leeching xp from the league.  

I encourage you to do so, but stick to the facts and be honest about the situation. 

Good advice.

To my original reason for playing devil's advocate here, as a GM, it is my opinion that you sh

ould provide unbiased moderation and encourage the community to be inclusive of all playstyles that do not violate the CoC rather than promote a derogatory stigma that is unjustified. Discriminating one playstyle over another when both fall within the CoC rules is biased and furthers divisiveness in the community. 

You wanna afk farm?  Go for it.  Don't care.  If players are noticing significant xp drops because the xp is being divided by one league and a bunch of (or teams of) afk MMs, then there's a problem with your play style in that it affects other players. 

For the sake of argument:  If you logged on and joined a ToT league, dropped your pets and set an auto power, and then spent an hour doing something else while your MM got some rewards, I personally wouldn't have a problem.  At least then your damage would contribute to the league.  And you would benefit from their damage. 

If you're just parking a bunch of MMs and leaving them afk for an indefinite amount of time, you're just leeching.  That most certainly lacks etiquette.  If you don't give a shit about etiquette, then I question your character, not your play style.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

That's exactly what a multi-boxing AFK Mastermind would say!  😛

Well, you're not wrong! Admittedly, I did participate in some afk MM multiboxing, but have since given it up after discovering this post.

14 hours ago, roleki said:

My problem with AFK MMs is that the ToT league is generally a slideshow to begin with, then you add a bunch of MMs standing around with their 30000 pets just making it worse, and none of the players behind these accounts have to suffer the consequences their 'legal' horsefuckery leaves behind.

I'm not 'jealous' of how little effort an AFK mastermind has to put in to get rewarded, and I don't care that some percentage of the 'rewards' are being allocated to players that aren't actually playing. 

I'm frustrated by the sheer preponderance of lazy assholes that don't give a flying fuck about anyone else's experience.

This is the best argument I've seen thus far and I agree that game performance is a problem, but it isn't just limited to AFK MM's. There are lots of scenarios that can produce the same effects. I think the better approach would be to have a discussion about how we can limit these scenarios from happening. AFK MM's is not the root cause of the issue any more than too many players in a zone or area is an issue. CoX has always had the capability to have multiple instances of a particular zone. Perhaps we could limit PI's max player count per instance to the max league size and just have multiple instances. I'm just spit-balling an idea here and have no clue if that would solve the problem but it seems to me that working on a solution to the real problem, "lag", would be much more beneficial to the community as a whole. 

The whole reason I'm posting in this thread is because I do care about everyone's experience. That includes your experience as well as AFK MM's experience, not just mine. My goal was to promote discussion on how we could accommodate everyone's experience rather than trying to single out specific players/playstyles and demonizing activities that are allowed. I too am frustrated by the amount of people just in this thread who only care about their experience and of those that play the game the way that they feel the game should be played. There's no reason why we can't come up with a solution that is more inclusive of different playstyles rather than eliminating them because it's not how you enjoy the game. 

Your last statement would be more genuine if you had said "'I'm frustrated by the sheer preponderance of people who don't play how I think the game should be played and

don't give a flying fuck about my experience."

18 hours ago, Luminara said:

Other "classes" don't generate the graphical and server loads of a full team, or have 7 powers automatically activating.

You make a very solid point. Do you see any solutions that don't end with removing an entire Archetype from the game?

11 hours ago, Ignatz the Insane said:

As of now you're correct, it's not against the rules, although it sure appears to be a gray area to me.  It becomes a problem though if there are enough afk MMs around that xp rewards for leagues is greatly reduced.  There's no way to avoid them unless the entire league decides to move to a new area not populated by a bunch of afk MMs.  So perhaps it should be against the rules.  

If it indeed creates a problem then I would agree with a rule change. My argument against this particular issue you mention would be that you seem to assert the notion that the league is somehow more entitled to the XP and even the location than the AFK MM. Could I not also argue that the league is greatly reducing the MM's XP/rewards. What entitlement does the league have to the rewards that are not solely generated by the league. Any player, not just MM's, that is not in the league could "leech" rewards from the league. This is by design so that everyone's contribution is rewarded. The game engine is not biased towards one player or a separate group of players. It rewards contribution. So by the game engine's own logic, AFK MM's are indeed contributing. It seems to me, and I could definitely be wrong here, that it would be easier to adjust rewards/drop rates than to remove an entire Archetype from the game.

13 hours ago, lemming said:

You're not contributing when all you are doing is killing off mobs that other people are generating.   I've run a few characters thru PI on everlasting and when you are not hovering around with your robots, my characters get the five Prismatic Aether badges quickly. 

If killing mobs is not contributing then how do you define contributing? Why would killing mobs generate rewards if the game engine did not consider that as contributing? Does your MM example not apply to any player or group that is not on your team/league? Why is this argument only being made against AFK MM's if anyone can cause this type of scenario?

17 hours ago, srmalloy said:

The problem is that you can't simply kick them out of the league/team and ignore them. They can park in the Murder Motel and go AFK, and there's nothing you can do to prevent them from leaving their pets on Aggressive to attack any mobs spawned by other people in the courtyard, draining XP. They don't have to be in a league with active players; they just have to stay in range of the spawns.

I understand the scenario you described, but what entitles you or the league/team that you are on to farm at that location more so than ANY other player whether its an MM or not. Why not move to another location. If the MM's are AFK as you claim then they couldn't follow you. At what point are you going to take responsibility for your participation in this scenario. If you know running into traffic will get you killed and you have the option to avoid the traffic but still run into it, are you not responsible for your own death? Does the entire world now have to give up cars, driving, traveling, etc. because you didn't use the options at your disposal to not get run over. 

20 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

AFK masterminds generally multibox and usually with more than three accounts. They don't click doors to replenish the enemies, and generally sit there for hours and hours while their pets earn them rewards.

With the exception of mutiboxing with more than the allowed 3 accounts. None of these activities are violations of any rules that I am aware of. 

Leagues are a delicate balance. The rewards are already reduced because only damage caused by your team count, then it's split between all teams who hit that enemy. Normally it doesn't matter. If a player is finding it hard to fight then they click doors. Everyone involved is generally doing something for the league. An AFK team not associated with the league is another drain on the league rewards. Yesterday I had half an hour to kill so went to PI and my level 36 blaster barely got 2 bubbles. My XP was in the single and double digit range. Hovering overhead was a flock of masterminds. Later I went to Kallisti Wharf and the league size was roughly the same and suddenly my XP was in the hundreds and thousands. I levelled three times in the half hour I was on.

That's the problem with so many AFK Masterminds. In KW I've been in leagues where someone has tried it and we just moved round the corner leaving them to it. With PI at the motel it's not so easy.  I went on at silly o'clock in the morning and there were a dozen MM's just standing there with their pets. No other players, just the AFK Masterminds. Many players are using the event as a way of fast levelling alts. Either alts they haven't played for a while or new alts they have created specifically for the event.

The only argument you've made here is that somehow YOUR team or league is entitled to XP more so than anyone who is not on YOUR team/league. If a player who is not on your league/team is finding it hard to fight and just clicks doors does that player not benefit from AFK MM's killing mobs. Is your league not a drain on that players rewards? Is your behavior not demonstrating GM favoritism towards whatever league/team you are on? Please understand my intention is not to single out you or anyone else for that matter. The whole point of this was to shift the conversation towards inclusive solutions that benefit everyone, but damn near every response in this thread just talks about how MM's reduced my XP/rewards. Well its not YOUR XP. YOUR XP is the amount that was awarded to you. No more, no less. Everyone is arguing for their own benefit or the benefit of the league that they are a member of. 

WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE ASKING FOR SOLUTIONS TO BENEFIT EVERYONE?

As GM's we have a duty to all players to have things as fair as possible. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something.

I would disagree with that statement whole heartedly. It is the job of the CoC and any other published rules to keep things as fair as possible. A GM's job is to enforce the rules not make them up on the fly as you see fit and certainly, your personal stake in the matter should not play any part in that enforcement. Whether I should or shouldn't do something has nothing to do with whether I can or not. It has everything to do with if that behavior is allowed by the rules. "Should or shouldn't", beyond what is allowed by the rules, is a personal choice and simply your opinion. Forcing others to conform to your ideas of what constitutes good manners or etiquette is just an abuse of authority.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 6