NCSOFT & Homecoming License Announcement

This is fantastic! Even since NCSoft shutdown City of Heroes (and following WildStar shutdown though I never got into that properly), I boycotted their products/services because I did not want to risk another possible shutdown in the future. Funnily enough, even though Anarchy Online is still operating, not too concerned about my account there but I was still interested in coming back to CoH/CoV.

Is there any possiblity of recovering our "official" original characters or is that a TBC? Curious if NCSoft still even have the original character data, giving how data protection laws are more strict these days. Edit:  Unless that was what the "Your characters and accounts are safe" was referring to specifcally.

Edited by Lorondos

Best news all year! ;) Huge congratz, I for one will continue to support the site and contribute in any way I can.

Now, if only Marvel Heroes could end up the same way...but we are talking Di$ney in that game's case, so...

• Thumbs Up 1

Game over man, game over!

This is great(?) news.

But, the cynic in me has some questions.

1. What does Homecoming gain from this, besides the hope that NCSoft demanding a shutdown is less likely and possibly more hosting options?
  2. You said the license had no up front or on-going cost, but the operating costs will increase to "keep up with our commitments as a licensee." Can you elaborate on what those commitments are?
  3. "This agreement provides a framework under which Homecoming can operate the game in a way that complies with NCSOFT’s wishes..." I'll be honest, this concerns me. This implies Homecoming will be changing the way it operates, at least in some way. Can you expand on what that entails?
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

3 hours ago, Water said:

yeah FTP on steam would keep the game busy.

Let's hope.

I've been playing it as a 3rd party title in Steam, but it's not the same.

I would love to see the game return to and climb the Steam charts.

It would be a worthy nominee for the Labour of Love Steam Award.

Edited by RogerWilco
  • Thumbs Up 2

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

4 hours ago, MattBold said:

This is an industry first right?  Has any company EVER granted an official license to a rogue private server community?

I think there is Project1999 from Everquest, but I'm not aware of any others: https://www.project1999.com/

But this is indeed a very rare unicorn.

Kudos on NCsoft for taking this step, I will now consider buying their games again.

Edited by RogerWilco
  • Thumbs Up 1

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

I gotta say that the passion and perseverance, as well as genuine spirit to just provide community to folks simply enjoying a shared hobby, is all on-point for City of Heroes.

It always warms my heart to see the donations hit - this is a real source of Love from devs and the community, and it shows in the forums and in-game still to this day.

CONGRATS to those that worked tirelessly on bringing Homecoming home, and working to make it legit because it truly is "the right thing" to do so folks can simply enjoy one of the best titles of all time with peace of mind.

CHEERS to another 20 years in Paragon City - give or take any other time fluxes!

🦸‍♂️🦸🏆

• Like 2

I already had a Homecoming account, but real life stuff took over and I lapsed playing. This news has prompted me to resurrect myself here. Looking forward to more years of fun and adventure with you all!

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Congrats!
Took nearly 10 years, but we got there!

Was a bit distracted earlier.  Congratulations to everyone involved!
INCLUDING THE PLAYERS!

I always liked this video. Thanks for reminding us how far the community has come.

• Like 3