NCSOFT & Homecoming License Announcement

This is all doom, most likely, or maybe it isn’t, but I’m certain it’s one or the other! Or maybe both or neither. In any case, it is news.

All we need now is someone who understands the old animation systems and can start making new power sets. Plus a total upgrade of all of everything. Plus I could use an iice cream bar. You know, the usual.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

27 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Have you seen if it enables the Steam Controller?

I assume our own entry would, but someone above was asking.

(And not tracking is a feature! If I kept track of hours played, I'd probably need to increase my medication!)

Not sure on that.  Bought a steam controller in their discontinued sale for like $5, but still have yet to actually ever try it out. 😁

On 1/4/2024 at 10:52 AM, Conviction said:

It will continue to work!

Wait, I'm currently running the Island Rum launcher for MAC. Is this the third party version or Tequila? I know nothing about these sort of things...

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 2.05.19 PM.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Does anyone other than me actually read those monthly financial statements?

STOP PESTERING US WITH THAT CRAP!

GIVE US FREE GAME!

😁

• Haha 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

19 minutes ago, nyhm said:

Wait, I'm currently running the Island Rum launcher for MAC. Is this the third party version or Tequila? I know nothing about these sort of things...

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 2.05.19 PM.png

No.  IR has nothing to do with Tequila or HC Launcher.

IR was designed, initially, as a multi-platform game launcher, as Tequila and (later) HC Launcher, were primarily Windows-only.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is neat and all, but, when do we get our free ponies?

Pretty sure someone once said that if this deal ever went thru, they'd buy everyone a pony.

My particular brand of dumbassery aside, great job, HC folks!

Edited by EmperorSteele
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Finland 1
  • Moose 1

Ok, I've read this thread twice, and thought on it for a day.  I am just going to continue to enjoy playing CoH Homecomming, and take each day as it comes.  Thank you, my CoH family, you all are the reason I am here.  All of you.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

And for all of you contributing.  Whether via money, dev time/active community support or simply being part of the community, THANK YOU!

ALL OF YOU GUYS ROCK!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Derek Icelord said:

This is great(?) news.

But, the cynic in me has some questions.

1. What does Homecoming gain from this, besides the hope that NCSoft demanding a shutdown is less likely and possibly more hosting options?
  2. You said the license had no up front or on-going cost, but the operating costs will increase to "keep up with our commitments as a licensee." Can you elaborate on what those commitments are?
  3. "This agreement provides a framework under which Homecoming can operate the game in a way that complies with NCSOFT’s wishes..." I'll be honest, this concerns me. This implies Homecoming will be changing the way it operates, at least in some way. Can you expand on what that entails?

These are fair questions. As one of the devs/hosts I'd be very concerned about revealing my real identity to NCsoft, as that makes lawsuits (even retroactively for the past 3 years of 'semi-legal' hosting) so much easier for them and therefore more likely. Remember, they shut down CoH because they claimed it would impact on their other IPs' profitability, so it's not a huge stretch for them to try and claim damages in arears now. Trust no one.

Incidentally, can we get a backup copy of the latest source code/server builds from Homecoming, along with all our character data...? Just asking...

Game over man, game over!

On 1/4/2024 at 7:34 AM, Homecoming said:

Will there be any changes to the Code of Conduct or Terms of Service?

The existing User Agreement has been superseded by our new Terms of Service. The Code of Conduct and Privacy Policy have also received minor updates.

There's a small problem I noticed with your code of conduct: "Additionally, creating copies of existing characters from the City of Heroes / Villains lore or naming your Supergroup after existing groups from the City of Heroes / Villains lore is not permitted. Use of these characters in Architect Entertainment and character backstories is permitted, and you are free to present yourself as a member of an existing group or portray your Supergroup as an offshoot or subdivision of an existing group, but you cannot portray yourself as owning or being in control of any existing group."

This is makes no sense to me as there are a certain four archetypes, two Kheldian archetypes and two Arachnos archetypes which are canonically explicitly linked to the CoH/CoV lore and existing groups. Are those not in the game anymore or is there some sort of loophole I'm not aware of? Also you technically work for the Arachnos throughout most of CoV's canon story and anyone who doesn't leave Praetoria through its main storyline is also canonically working for one of the two factions there.

Edited by mattwo
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, mattwo said:

There's a small problem I noticed with your code of conduct: "Additionally, creating copies of existing characters from the City of Heroes / Villains lore or naming your Supergroup after existing groups from the City of Heroes / Villains lore is not permitted. Use of these characters in Architect Entertainment and character backstories is permitted, and you are free to present yourself as a member of an existing group or portray your Supergroup as an offshoot or subdivision of an existing group, but you cannot portray yourself as owning or being in control of any existing group."

This is makes no sense to me as there are a certain four archetypes, two Kheldian archetypes and two Arachnos archetypes which are canonically explicitly linked to the CoH/CoV lore and existing groups. Are those not in the game anymore or is there some sort of loophole I'm not aware of? Also you technically work for the Arachnos throughout most of CoV's canon story and anyone who doesn't leave Praetoria through its main storyline is also canonically working for one of the two factions there.

You're allowed to be a member of those groups, you're just not allowed to claim that your character is the supreme ruler of them. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

4 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Have you seen if it enables the Steam Controller?

What are you thinking, maybe Steam/Thermal or Steam/Cold? Maybe make a Steam/Empathy and call him Spa-der Man.

• Haha 5

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

CoX has been part of my life since it was first announced back in those old Gameinformer Magazines. It's crazy I went from seeing it live, to shut down, to private server, to being legitimized. I'm very happy to be part of the community in that regard. Looking forward to what the future holds.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Lead Game Master
34 minutes ago, mattwo said:

What this boils down to is that you're not allowed to name your Supergroup "Arachnos". You MAY name your SG "West Coast Arachnos"  "Arachnos Special Forces" "Mercy Island 3rd battalion Arachnos", etc. Just so long as you're not attempting to claim ownership of the canon group.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 9

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

5 hours ago, MHertz said:

This is all doom, most likely, or maybe it isn’t, but I’m certain it’s one or the other! Or maybe both or neither. In any case, it is news.

All we need now is someone who understands the old animation systems and can start making new power sets. Plus a total upgrade of all of everything. Plus I could use an iice cream bar. You know, the usual.

While it may or may not be DOOM. I think we can all agree it is a Nemesis Plot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mattwo said:

You can make your character a member of [insert enemy/hero group here], but you cannot represent yourself *as* that group or particular pre-existing character.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, having not read all 14 pages of the thread, what does this mean for other servers? 

I get that Homecoming wants to consolidate, which will be good for the community overall. One server where everyone plays, so we can all enjoy the game as it was meant to be. Not a bunch of tiny servers with only a couple hundred people each trying to play an MMORPG. 

But what happens to the other servers? Does this mean NCSoft is gonna start sending C&Ds? Is Homecoming going to on behalf of NC Soft? Are they all going to be left alone with a notice of "Hey you'd have a better time on the new, officially licensed servers?

Because a bunch of C&Ds from the Homecoming team is a surefire way to eradicate any goodwill. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:34 AM, Homecoming said:

What does this deal mean for other servers that aren’t Homecoming?
NCSOFT has granted Homecoming a limited license. Other servers are out of scope.

Wasn’t Homecoming working with some other servers?
Our hope is that our license will help us consolidate our userbase with City of Heroes fans from other servers.

11 minutes ago, Mythus54 said:

So, having not read all 14 pages of the thread, what does this mean for other servers? 

I get that Homecoming wants to consolidate, which will be good for the community overall. One server where everyone plays, so we can all enjoy the game as it was meant to be. Not a bunch of tiny servers with only a couple hundred people each trying to play an MMORPG. 

But what happens to the other servers? Does this mean NCSoft is gonna start sending C&Ds? Is Homecoming going to on behalf of NC Soft? Are they all going to be left alone with a notice of "Hey you'd have a better time on the new, officially licensed servers?

Because a bunch of C&Ds from the Homecoming team is a surefire way to eradicate any goodwill. 

See above post. It was in the second post in this thread. 

• Microphone 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

18 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

See above post. It was in the second post in this thread. 

Yeah, I read the FAQ. That doesn't answer my question. "Our hope is they will consolidate" and "We're the only officially licensed server" is all that's said. 

That doesn't say what happens to other servers. Are the Homecoming team now legally obligated to report any other servers they know about to NC Soft? Can Homecoming issue a C&D on behalf of NC Soft? These are things we do not know.