NCSOFT & Homecoming License Announcement

I guess my next question is how long is the current agreement for the license for? 

I'm glad NCSoft is willing to play ball, but I also know that managements will eventually change, etc.   Which might cause some issues down the line.  

For now. I'm happy that things seem to be progressing.  Definitely want to see more advertising now.  

4 hours ago, Widower said:

Circle of Twelve has a nice ring to it, I guess.

The Circle of Twelve. I like it! Got a ring to it.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa... er I mean, lol.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 hour ago, Derek Icelord said:

This is great(?) news.

But, the cynic in me has some questions.

1. What does Homecoming gain from this, besides the hope that NCSoft demanding a shutdown is less likely and possibly more hosting options?
  2. You said the license had no up front or on-going cost, but the operating costs will increase to "keep up with our commitments as a licensee." Can you elaborate on what those commitments are?
  3. "This agreement provides a framework under which Homecoming can operate the game in a way that complies with NCSOFT’s wishes..." I'll be honest, this concerns me. This implies Homecoming will be changing the way it operates, at least in some way. Can you expand on what that entails?

Good questions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

A few thoughts.

Does this mean you will have access to the assets/Old Future plans from NCsoft not just the Beta test build ones?
Could we see the Content from the Asian Trailer of the game in game now?
A possible steam/console release?

Awesome News, I really didn't think this day would come.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raspcard said:

A few thoughts.

Does this mean you will have access to the assets/Old Future plans from NCsoft not just the Beta test build ones?
Could we see the Content from the Asian Trailer of the game in game now?
A possible steam/console release?

Awesome News, I really didn't think this day would come.

I'm actually expecting voice acted CoH 2 now with micro-transactions.... 😛 

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely forgot I backed this 84 years ago. I can’t believe this is really happening! I often tell my 9 and 7 year old boys about being logged in when my favourite game went dark. 💗

• Like 1

I have been taking a break from COH for the last month and playing Eve Online, but I saw the news today and all I can say is: "Spectacular". Congratulations to all involved. And congratulations to us!

Seriously, thank you!

Congrats guys on this!  Figured something like this was coming.

Very cautiously optimistic about this however, I do have some concerns:

1. The 30% donation increase needs(as foreseen at the moment.. could go higher) and how in recent times reaching goals each month has taken longer, I hope that there will not be a situation that needs will not be met in the future.   I hope the team plans conservatively and accordingly in this regard and to not over extend themselves. How will it be handled then when needs start to become inconsistently met or even worse consistently not met?

2.  I didnt see it specified but usually limited license agreements have an expiration date.  What is the expiration date for this one then and what happens if said expiration date comes and the agreement stops?  Not from a frame work of NCSoft requesting a shut down but in regards to the statements that the legal structure and current limitations had been imposed upon our group perhaps having to be reverted to and changes to the game occur thusly?   

3. There is concerns this will affect transparency regarding the project in a direction of becoming less transparent (as this has been a contention even as it was in the past too).

4.  There are also concerns of how this will, given the intentions to continue to develop the game, implement changes that will cause fundamental changes that will affect current play interests and gravitate away from the philosophy of allowing players to predominantly play as they wish.  Things like for example use of AE for farming is the easiest one that comes to mind due to how it is a divided, contentious point within both the players and the dev team.  And there are other similar examples.

5.  With the statements of a City Council to be made and Cipher being lead.  Will the structure of decisions regarding them be transparent? For example does Cipher have the overall veto even if the council has a consensus other wise or other such similar procedural info be made known to the community?

• Like 1

OMFG! I saw this in my feed, and I was completely flabbergasted....  Someone else touched on it, I think the obvious question is, would there be a possibility of importing our original characters from 2012?🙏  I ask because I only ever "rebuilt" a single character because of the "non legit" status of this rendition of the game up until this point, didn't want to put allot of effort into something that could turn back into a pumpkin at any moment.  We had them on the server that shall not be named but that was obviously on really shaky ground.  If that is no longer the case, then why not?  I am sure others here would also like to get back all the characters they put so many years of work into.  This is indeed a great start to a new year, I needed this, I think we all did.

We made it. It's not completely safe and clear, but it's a huge step forward, and I'm extremely proud of all the people who worked hard for this, from the financial end to the legal talks.

3 hours ago, American Decoy said:

Good questions.

I also note I can't see how many people are on the various servers. This is the same old non-sense that the Live game used. It's an archaic way to operate. Or did I miss where this data may have been moved to?

Wait.. So we're not a Rogue server any more?

We can be Heroic and Vigilante and stuff?

Cool!

Grats to you guys!

(For fellow Linux users, the HC Launcher works beautifully under WINE. Fedora 37-39 tested.)

Now I guess I need to find some other source of existential dread.

Maybe Doctor Who getting Disneyed?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)