Prestige costs...

Soulstinger

Don't forget, the SG Prestige was not only needed for plain old base building, but also for obtaining those much needed items for PVP base raids.  The bigger SGs had an advantage over smaller ones because of that.  The old prestige system only promoted endless grinding - man, I hated that - and jut crippled people's creativity.  

It is MUCH better now not having to grind away to earn prestige.  Bases are much bigger, more decorative, and I am amazed at all the creativity that I see of people's bases in the "Show Off" thread - we didn't have that level of awesomeness back when Live.  I love that I can spend my time building a base instead of spending my time grinding to get the prestige so I can spend even more time building.  ...again, MUCH better now, doing away with prestige altogether.

• Like 2

Prestige was nothing ever but frustrating to me. I found it worthless. I was never interested in base raids, especially since they made zero sense. When was the last time the Avengers raided the Baxter Building to steal something from the Fantastic Four? Stupid concept. So because of this meaningless grind, it took several years on Live (and a cost nerfing) to get the base I wanted. 

Currently, have a max-sized base for most of my characters that I spent several hundred hours building to my heart's desire. I've made a few smaller bases since, and am currently working on another max-sized base made to look like a city. I've been back in CoH for less than a year. Prestige? Not interested in the slightest. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

All prestige costs do is allow people to flex how many members they have nolifing in AE, it adds literally nothing to the game to add costs to base building unless you're a corporation that needs to give players motivation to keep paying a subscription or incentivize engagement so you'll buy stuff from the cash shop. In  that case a time costs = money for the devs.

The only thing I wish prestige to be used for is if they were to bring back some form of Base Raiding. If an SG base was marked as raidable, I think it would be cool if they could earn power/energy/whatever by farming prestige. And they could use it to make their bases as defensible as possible for whatever awards would be showed upon them. 

But to make it just a tax for creativity seems like a bad idea for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later

I think that removing Prestige was an absolute home run choice for Homecoming. Base creating is exceptionally time consuming already, and adding the requirement to grind relentlessly to afford anything - or to keep the base fees paid  was something that made some supergroups on Live kick people out if they weren't online enough and earning prestige.  That makes for elitist big groups, and made it extremely hard to start new groups because they were too small to make a base with the teleports - so few people would want to join.  Not to mention the ridiculous penalty of 50% of your influence.  That heavily penalized low level toons.  

To learn the base editor even without prestige costs takes a great deal of time and work.   To make a detailed base (without prestige costs), also takes a huge amount of time and work.  I play the content,  but I don't care for farms, and personally hate grinding. If I'm going to spend the time to make a real base, I don't want to be forced to grind on top of the effort to do that.  The issue in the game is to have fun - and forced grinding is fun for no one. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ssutcliffe said:

I think that removing Prestige was an absolute home run choice for Homecoming. Base creating is exceptionally time consuming already, and adding the requirement to grind relentlessly to afford anything - or to keep the base fees paid  was something that made some supergroups on Live kick people out if they weren't online enough and earning prestige.  That makes for elitist big groups, and made it extremely hard to start new groups because they were too small to make a base with the teleports - so few people would want to join.  Not to mention the ridiculous penalty of 50% of your influence.  That heavily penalized low level toons.  

To learn the base editor even without prestige costs takes a great deal of time and work.   To make a detailed base (without prestige costs), also takes a huge amount of time and work.  I play the content,  but I don't care for farms, and personally hate grinding. If I'm going to spend the time to make a real base, I don't want to be forced to grind on top of the effort to do that.  The issue in the game is to have fun - and forced grinding is fun for no one. 

100% agree

• City Council

Prestige costs are never coming back, period. It physically pained me to see base builders dismantle their detailed bases in order to do something new because they could only afford to have one supergroup with enough prestige for their cool ideas. It gave me the same feeling as seeing an art gallery burning down, with unique works of art destroyed and never to be seen again. If any other dev decides they want to limit creativity by reintroducing Prestige costs, I'll be loudly leading the mob with torches and pitchforks.

Prestige earned just for bragging rights in the Top 100 table? Eh, sure, maybe at some point. Wouldn't use the same way to earn prestige as the original though, otherwise it's just a meter on how much your SG has historically farmed, and highly meaningless.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

I like to experiment with my three half-ass made bases.  I am glad there is no penalty to experiment or even a rent to pay.

• Like 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

I don't like the idea of prestige for building, but I liked the idea of prestige as a marker of contribution for a SG or a currency to earn. I don't really know what would be a good use of a SG only currency though.  Having something to show for time played, outside of Inf, which can be relatively quickly capped out, and xp, which after Vet lvl 100, doesn't do anything. 

My reasoning being after you have so many completed characters, they need something to do after they've got all their Enh and Incarnates. Badges and Inf are more of a singular toon project. Something to influence what toon you choose to play that day. As it stands, aside from wanting to play a certain combo, there's no reason to play a non-farmer after they're geared out so a lot of characters gather dust. 

Maybe a custom vendor like P2W, could sell things like badges, costume unlocks, things that'd make a toon feel "prestigious". 

Edited by Sejanus

7 hours ago, Sejanus said:

I don't like the idea of prestige for building, but I liked the idea of prestige as a marker of contribution for a SG or a currency to earn.

I don't like prestige, period. I don't like the current implementation (granted, disabled) where it's basically just an INF counter. It doesn't show how active an SG is (past the first few members,) and one person AFK farming can inflate the number - in other words, it's meaningless.

If there were any sort of "Non user defined SG rating system" ... well, it'd have to be a number of systems, frankly. Something showing membership, activities, etc. that would be sifted, folded, spindled and mutilated into some sort of ranking.

... actually, this may need to be a separate post, because what I'm thinking of could get complicated.

• Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

3 hours ago, Greycat said:

I don't like prestige, period. I don't like the current implementation (granted, disabled) where it's basically just an INF counter. It doesn't show how active an SG is (past the first few members,) and one person AFK farming can inflate the number - in other words, it's meaningless.

If there were any sort of "Non user defined SG rating system" ... well, it'd have to be a number of systems, frankly. Something showing membership, activities, etc. that would be sifted, folded, spindled and mutilated into some sort of ranking.

... actually, this may need to be a separate post, because what I'm thinking of could get complicated.

None of this is needed in my opinion.