CoH Original CD preorder pics, Beta Manual & email :)

Not sure if this is allow or anyone finds this interesting but here are my CoH CDs and what not🙂 I'm so glad the game is back I thought I'd share.

Beta Manual - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RTDeKRyo3QbeETUBBmWk9O0pZUutBTRw/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106553481734478662392&rtpof=true&sd=true

old email:

Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 8:30 PM

Greetings!

We are writing this evening to inform you that the City of Heroes Non-Disclosure Agreement has officially been lifted!

This means that you are free to talk about any and all aspects of the game in-person with others and/or online (in chats, on message boards, etc).  Share your opinions about the game openly!  Take screenshots and host them on your web site!  These activities are now officially allowed.

With the lifting of the NDA, we are also happy to invite individuals between the ages of 13-18 into the game – something not possible until now, due to the NDA’s age requirement of 18 years of age (or older).

PLEASE NOTE:  Just because the NDA has been lifted, it is important to remember that even though you can now talk about the game anywhere, as a beta tester, it should still be your first priority to play the game and provide feedback on the BETA Message Board.  Any questions or comments that are posted on the CoH public message board, that are obviously meant for a beta audience, will be removed from that board. For example:  “What is the /command for adding someone to your friends list?”  This is a question for the beta board, NOT the public board, and if posted on the public board will be removed.  Just as a reminder – the BETA board – the one you should be concentrating and providing feedback on can be found here:

Thank you all very much and enjoy the lifting of the NDA!

Online Community Coordinator, City of Heroes

CD Front.jpg

• Like 7

City of Heroes Pre-Order Account Enabled!
Yahoo/CoH

• photo?spsize=80X80&fallback_url=https%3A

Wed, Apr 7, 2004 at 12:17 AM

Welcome and thank you for Pre-Ordering City of Heroes!  Your game account 'TacRedline' has officially been enabled, but before you can enter the beta test and start playing, we need you to follow some very important directions.  Please read the information below carefully!

*Note – If you are currently in the City of Heroes beta test (having entered it by means other than buying a City of Heroes Pre-order box, you should follow the directions below to create an additional Beta Message Board Account, but do not have to re-download the client).  You will be able to start playing with your Pre-order account by simply logging into the game with your Pre-order game account name and password.

Register Your Message Board Account
    All new beta players must register on the Beta Testing Message Board in order to download the game client.  Go to http://boards.coh.com and click on "New User".  Please provide any requested information and follow all directions.  (Forgot your game account password?  Use the "Change Password" feature to resolve your issue.  Can’t remember your game account name? Try logging in with your Play NC Master account first at http://www.plaync.com under the "Account" link.) After you have finished registering on the message board, you will be able to take your board registration info and use it to download the CoH game client.

Download City of Heroes Game Client
    Please visit https://secure.plaync.com/BetaTestClient.zip to download the zip file containing the City of Heroes patcher and Beta Testing
    Manual.  In the pop-up, enter your Message Board login name and password. Download time may take up to 2 hours or more!  When you’re done patching, hit the "Play" button to start!  Each time you play City of Heroes (after your first time playing), you should remember to run the CoH Updater icon (on your desktop) to patch to the newest version of the game and see the latest game-related info on the Announcements screen.

Are You A Modem User?
    For tracking and other statistical information, we’d like for users of 56/k (or less) analog modems to send their game account name to support.com.  Please use the following subject heading: 56/k Modem User.

Play Session Times
    For the time being, testing sessions take place 24 hours a day, 4 days a week, Wednesday-Saturday.  Servers go up 10am (Central Time) Wednesday morning and are taken down 10pm (Central Time) Saturday night.  You will NOT be able to log into the game and create your character/s during non-play session days!

*IMPORTANT – Testing hours are subject to change, so check the Announcements page of the CoH Updater and the Beta Testing Message boards often for the most recently updated testing times!

Drivers: 
    It is essential that you use the most recent recommended drivers for your video card when playing City of Heroes!  Here is where to get the latest drivers if you don’t already have them:

NVIDIA

NVIDIA ForceWare Driver Version 56.64 for Windows 2000/XP:

NVIDIA ForceWare Driver Version 56.64 for Windows 98/ME:

ATI
    ATI video card users should be updated to the Catalyst 4.3 drivers.

Windows XP/2000:

Windows 98/ME:

Game Installation:

To install the game, download the zip file from the link above, extract, and run the patchclient.exe file.  The game client will automatically patch to the latest version. Important: Be sure to allow plenty of time to install the game, as the installation process may take 2 hours or more. 

Once you are done patching, the game will automatically launch, and ask for your login information. Enter the account name and password you created for City of Heroes Beta. Please note: you will not be able to log into the game until shortly before a scheduled play session.

Character Creation:

Once you have logged into the game, select the external test server and create a new character! Picture the type of Hero you want to be and, using the descriptions, choose which Origin and Archetype best describe your Hero.  After you are done, proceed to the next screen.

You will be allowed to choose two power sets (one primary, and one secondary).  Each power set has 9 powers in it, but most of them won't be available to you right away.  You will be allowed to choose one power from each before you move on to costume creation.

After you select your powers, you get to choose your costume!  Your costume consists of several pieces, each of which you can select individually.  As you choose your costume pieces on the left side, your character will be modified on the right side of the screen.  If you are not sure what you're looking for, use the "Random" button to try a few costumes and see if they spark your imagination.

Once your costume is in place, all you have left to do is choose your name and add a brief character description.  Then it's time to move on to Paragon City!

How to Play:

When you get into the game, you will see your character in the middle of the screen.  Movement is done via the keyboard - use the "W" key to move forward, "S" to move backward, and "A" and "D" to move left and right.  You can also hold the right mouse button down and use that to look around.  This may take some getting used to - if you are not comfortable with this, let us know and we will consider any suggestions you have.

To activate your powers, first choose a target by clicking on it with the mouse, or by pressing the [TAB] key.  Once you have a target, you can activate your powers by clicking the icons in the bottom right corner, or by pressing the corresponding number keys (not the numpad).

Quitting:

To quit the game, type "/quit" in the chat window and press [Enter].  You can access the chat window by clicking in the bottom portion of the window, or by pressing [Enter].  You can also quit the game using the "Quit" option from the main game menu.

CoH Beta Updates:

Tuesday of each week, we will be sending you an email with testing specifics in it.  These e-mails may ask you to focus on certain game features/functions and will also convey important information we want you to be aware of before you start playing.  Everything you'll need to know for the week will be in that email!  So please be on the lookout for these and give them a read when they arrive.

Closed Beta Message Board

Don't forget that we need your feedback!  You should already be signed up on the Message Board located at http://boards.coh.com. Please, please, please use it after each play-session!  There is nothing more valuable to us than what you have to say about the game. 

Contact Information

If you have any problems or questions regarding ANYTHING relating to CoH testing (including this email), please do not hesitate to contact Customer Support using the Customer Support tool at http://support.cityofheroes.com.

Thank you so much for being a City of Heroes Beta Tester!  We can't wait to receive your feedback about the game!!

See you in the game!

Sincerely,

-The NCsoft Team
Edited by RicoZaid
  • Like 2

A Re-cap of Dates to Know:

March 22nd – Begin Adding Pre-order Customers to Beta
March 29th – Host Public Beta Sign-up
April 7th – All Pre-Order Customers Invited to Beta
April 14th – Randomly Selected Public Beta Invites Sent Out
April 22nd – Beta shutdown to prepare for Launch
April 25th – 3-Day Pre-order only Head Start
April 28th – Launch!

Edited by RicoZaid
  • Like 1

I've still got a few vintage CoH things.  I know among mh collections I have the original Issue 0 Game Manual (remember Cone Range enhancements?), the CoV preorder disc, a Black Scorpion HeroClix figure, maps of both cities, the Architect Edition.  I also have one of the Arachnos capes from a press kit; my brother worked at Circuit City at the time when CoV dropped and was able to get it for me.  It's still hanging in my closet.

-5pcig9utKkMvZMWYKFYZxOTHm34Smb4bClRrPgYvCY.thumb.jpg.c19f292db2d5b72770fd3638ddee2d8d.jpg

• Like 2

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

5 hours ago, ChzBoi said:

.............you should be wearing it!!......... 🙂

I wore it to high school one day actually (god damn it was that long ago!?).  School spirit week had a super hero day so even though Arachnos are the villains I had a legit excuse to wear the cape.

Nobody knew what it was...

• Haha 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

fffff.jpg.jpg.d3d150d0516068aee56f4795b616bcd0.jpg

I like how this guy was all "I regret nothiiiiing!" and jumped off a building.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝