If you wanted new powers what would it be?

1 minute ago, biostem said:

No, you are still hung up on what the powers are called.  What does the enchanting/empowerment powers actually have your character do - you extend a hand and they receive the buff.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Anything beyond that is you reading into the power(s).

Have a good day you simply are not understanding.

• Haha 1

Just now, KingCeddd03 said:

Have a good day you simply are not understanding.

What I understand is that you cannot/will not or are not capable of backing up your position;  You point to external sources that have no bearing on CoH or think that the name of a power somehow influences or trumps your character concept/ or chosen origin.

• Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, biostem said:

What I understand is that you cannot/will not or are not capable of backing up your position;  You point to external sources that have no bearing on CoH or think that the name of a power somehow influences or trumps your character concept/ or chosen origin.

my position is backed up my the wiki itself. and I am not here to keep going on and on about something that is so obvious.

Edited by KingCeddd03

4 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

my position is backed up my the forum itself. and I am not here to keep going on and on about something that is so obvious.

Seems you don't understand what the word "obvious" means, either.  Funny how you keep mentioning that your position is backed up, but can't seem to actually point to any of this so-called "evidence".

Edited by biostem
  • Confused 1

@biostem I agree with you. There's nothing stopping someone from saying the dark pit undead minions crawl out of is really a "SG portal" to your secret base where the mad scientist character is trying to create life but still can't quite get it right. Boom. There's your tech/science/mutant undead. They're all clones or something. 

(Anyone reading this is free to steal the character idea. I'm spitballing and have plenty of toons at the moment.)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Random Axis said:

@biostem I agree with you. There's nothing stopping someone from saying the dark pit undead minions crawl out of is really a "SG portal" to your secret base where the mad scientist character is trying to create life but still can't quite get it right. Boom. There's your tech/science/mutant undead. They're all clones or something. 

(Anyone reading this is free to steal the character idea. I'm spitballing and have plenty of toons at the moment.)

Morel of the story it's a magic-based set sure you can pretend that it's not your choice.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

Morel of the story it's a magic-based set sure you can pretend that it's not your choice.

Someone's salty about being proven wrong over and over again.  Just rechecked and the power set description contains no references to magic.  But maybe if you keep repeating that it is, it'll come true someday.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KingCeddd03 said:

His entire point was that they're not explicitly magical in way the tech ones are technological. Can you come up with a non-silly magical robot pet or assault rifle powers with mercs?

You guys it's magic based all the 

7 hours ago, biostem said:

Someone's salty about being proven wrong over and over again.  Just rechecked and the power set description contains no references to magic.  But maybe if you keep repeating that it is, it'll come true someday.

Prove that it's not.

Command the forces of Death. Necromancy allows you to summon undead henchmen to do your bidding. Some Necromancy powers can even grant your undead henchmen additional powers. Most Undead Henchmen generally have good resistances to Cold, Negative Energy, and Psionic damage as well as Sleep, Fear and Disorient. Undead Henchmen cannot be resurrected."

it does not have to say it's magic when it's actually showing you that it is. some people are so dense.

7 hours ago, Random Axis said:

His entire point was that they're not explicitly magical in way the tech ones are technological. Can you come up with a non-silly magical robot pet or assault rifle powers with mercs?

Robots are easy.  They're just a form of golem. (As one example)

Nothing says mercs can't be summoned entities.

Demons can be cloned beasties summoned from a lab.

24 minutes ago, lemming said:

Robots are easy.  They're just a form of golem. (As one example)

Nothing says mercs can't be summoned entities.

Demons can be cloned beasties summoned from a lab.

OMG does it present that in the powerset in the summoning the showing the style?????????????????

if your are teying to say that your powers come from somewhere else then you put that in the description box so it will be understood.

Edited by KingCeddd03
  • Thumbs Down 1

24 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

OMG does it present that in the powerset in the summoning the showing the style?????????????????

if your are teying to say that your powers come from somewhere else then you put that in the description box so it will be understood.

You take things too literally.   Glancing at the descriptions, they can be interpreted whichever way you want.  The game may want to put you into neat little boxes, but you don't have to limit your own thoughts.  And even there, the game doesn't limit you that much.

I see the origin bits as something a character checks off at the registrar.

A demon who isn't bound, but wants to conceal their origin.

"Yea, I'm an alien.  Put me down as Natural."

But that's just me, you do what you want.

• Thumbs Up 1

Origins are broad, generic, all-encompassing "sources" and as such, are open to the creative interpretation of the individual player. Yes... some powers are a better fit, thematically, to some Origins but with a bit of creativity, those same powers can be explained via any of the other Origins.

The word "necromancy" quite literally means "Death Magic". Does this mean that all characters that have the Necromancy power set MUST have the Magic Origin. Of course not. Their ability to summon and control undead can be explained by any of the Origins. The same goes for Demon Summoning or any power/ability that most people would more commonly attribute to "Magic". Maybe the character's ability to summon and control demons/undead is a mutant power or the result of a device they invented.

Regardless, Origin means very little in-game anymore and is really just a role-playing and backstory element. As such, any Origin works with any Power set... some just take a bit more creativity and imagination than others.

Edited by sykoholic001
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

1 hour ago, sykoholic001 said:

The word "necromancy" quite literally means "Death Magic". Does this mean that all characters that have the Necromancy power set MUST have the Magic Origin. Of course not. Their ability to summon and control undead can be explained by any of the Origins. The same goes for Demon Summoning or any power/ability that most people would more commonly attribute to "Magic". Maybe the character's ability to summon and control demons/undead is a mutant power or the result of a device they invented.

The meaning of words changes over time;  Look at how "decimate" literally means "to destroy 1-tenth of", but in common parlance simply means to destroy a large amount/proportion, or how "literally" can actually be used nowadays to mean "figuratively".  If I slot a "Might of the Empire" or "Will of the Seer" prestige enhancement, does it mean my character is actually channeling said forces?  My point is that those set and power names are merely there for flavor and to be useful for describing the set from a quick glance, which you did touch on...

Edited by biostem

On 1/27/2024 at 11:53 AM, Go0gleplex said:

Clowns! Gotta have Clowns!  Elemental Spirits (non-daemonic), Bugs, and humanoid golems.  😄 

If they did an Air master - Powers: Vacuum, Wind blades/lance, Implosion, and Air Hammer/Ball are musts IMO.

No clowns!

*Shudders*

I'd like an 'improvised weaponry' primary attack set.

Imagine a brawler, you would have the usual animations but instead of jab you'd smash a bottle on their head.

Punch would be grabbing a nearby street sign (spawned not a real world constant asset) and swing it.

Basically John McClane or, Jet Li, or  Jackie Chan, anything near me is a weapon.

I'd like actual kung fu please, Martial Arts is fine, but it's more of a strange mix of  Karate and Muay Thai  (Especially with the punch animations), give me some flowing, pretty attacks like in Marital Assault, but as a primary, it could even have a combo system like Dual Blades (well...more like water, DB's combo system is...lackluster).

Infernal powers, like bale flames and such, for those Hell Birthed types.

Cosmic powers not tied to a space squid/crab/person would be lovely.

Maybe a kinetic armor set, a set that would take the impacts and use them to buff the player, and a bouncing travel power like Speedball before he went all Emo.

56 minutes ago, biostem said:

My point is that those set and power names are merely there for flavor and to be useful for describing the set from a quick glance, which you did touch on...

That was pretty much my attempted point as well... the names are simply "references", rather than exact, set-in-stone definitions or explanations.

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 2

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

30 minutes ago, Amaterasu said:

Infernal powers

It would be cool to see some more mixed-element types, like fire & toxic, or fire & negative energy.  Maybe some sort of "superconductivity" set which combines energy and cold damage.

32 minutes ago, Amaterasu said:

Imagine a brawler, you would have the usual animations but instead of jab you'd smash a bottle on their head.

Call it "dirty fighting" and have your character smash bottles, folding chairs, 2x4's, maybe a length of chain, and perhaps even pull some old pistol at some point.

33 minutes ago, Amaterasu said:

Cosmic powers

Maybe some sort of energy blast set tied more closely to light - it could blind enemies, perhaps cause some fire damage, etc.

• Like 1

Adding Escrima or just dual sticks to DB combat.  I have an old character from the original game and I always wished I could have given him dual sticks, like Daredevil, Nightwing, Night Thrasher and a myriad of other heroes in comics that use two clubs.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, biostem said:

It would be cool to see some more mixed-element types, like fire & toxic, or fire & negative energy.  Maybe some sort of "superconductivity" set which combines energy and cold damage.

FWIW the Interface Slot says hi. Just that you have to get to 50 first.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/9/2024 at 7:41 AM, Random Axis said:

I really like this idea. It could work for a whole family of powers with Arcane Blast as a damage set, Arcane Ward as an armor set, and Arcane [INSERT WORD HERE] as the buff/debuff set.

To add my own suggestion, most of the pet powers have analogous ranged sets. Thugs is like DP, Ninjas is Archery, etc. Beasts and Demons don't have one though, and I think a ranged whip set and a Nature blast set would be cool additions. 

I'd love if MMs had the option to switch around their weapon attacks between the subtypes.  A Beast MM who uses the bow attacks of the Ninja MM, or the whip attacks of the Demon MM, or the guns of a Merc or Thug MM, could better fit some themes like a D&D Ranger, or a Circus Animal trainer, or a Big Game Hunter.  Or a Ninja MM who uses the Dark powers of the Necromancy MM, could represent a more Hand like Ninja with a 'shadow clan' of supernaturally empowered Ninja.  Mix it up a bit!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:24 PM, sykoholic001 said:

Origins are broad, generic, all-encompassing "sources" and as such, are open to the creative interpretation of the individual player. Yes... some powers are a better fit, thematically, to some Origins but with a bit of creativity, those same powers can be explained via any of the other Origins.

Regardless, Origin means very little in-game anymore and is really just a role-playing and backstory element. As such, any Origin works with any Power set... some just take a bit more creativity and imagination than others.

Yeah, true enough.  Some require more creativity than others, but I've got a Demon MM who is a robot probe sent to explore a recently accessed dimension, which turned out to be a hell-dimension!  It came back 'possessed' by the souls of escapees from that place, determined to be as heroic as they could in this stolen second chance, so that they will never have to return to 'that place.'  Tech/Science origin, and 'magical' powers, fused together in a way that's not at all derivative of that Buffy episode where a magical book got scanned by accident and the demon imprisoned within it ended up in the internet...  🙂

Necromancy's actually pretty easy.  The game *already has* science-based zombies, in the Vazhilok.  Just make your Necromancy MM a former Vazhilok (or Vazh victim) who uses their chemical treatments or Frankenstein-ish electrical currents, or advanced cryogenics, or alien virus (like something out of 28 Days Later or a George Romero movie or the Evil Dead franchise or one of the 74,000 other non-supernatural zombie movies out there) to animate corpses, and it's good to go.  Marvel even has a few mutants who can animate corpses or summon spirits, like Wicked or Selene.

Same with radiation, which we associate with science, but my Radiation character is a genie, master of 'the smokeless fire which burns within stone.'  Humans may not have known much about radiation before Marie Curie, but *genies* sure did!

Edited by Ian Turner
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1