Add To Queue: Non-Cape Movie Recommendations

ThaOGDreamWeaver

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Also, for people that haven't seen the movie, they don't realize that the theme has lyrics.

Unless they lived in the UK in the 90s - it was a pretty decent hit for the Manic Street Preachers.

(Cheerful bunch.)

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 2 weeks later
Posted (edited)

I had no idea that Richard Pryor was a co-writer on Blazing Saddles (or maybe I did and I just forgot, growing old sucks) until I read this article just recently Mel Brooks Quit Blazing Saddles For Three Days Out Of Protest because he wanted Pryor to play the role of Black Bart and only relented when Pryor backed Cleavon Little.

Happy 50th Anniversary to BLAZING SADDLES!

Edited by Oubliette_Red

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I Saw the Devil. It's South Korean. Buckle up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 9:54 PM, Oubliette_Red said:

I had no idea that Richard Pryor was a co-writer on Blazing Saddles (or maybe I did and I just forgot, growing old sucks)

I wasn’t aware of that, though I think it would have been a very different movie…

But I do now know another fact. Alex Karras was on the WB lot auditioning for another flick (apparently a fairly terrible one).

He heard from a mate that Mel Brooks was around somewhere on site and got hold of a copy of the script. Read it. Walked unannounced into Mel’s production office. Threw a chair at him. Said “Me Mongo.” And walked out.

He got got the gig. I’m not sure if it was because it hit the brief or Mel was too terrified to argue.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Haha 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 2 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later

If you happen to be in the UK, Moon is on BBC2 tonight at 11.05pm. Go see or iPlayer it. You can also rent it on Amazon or Apple.

Directed by Duncan Jones (aka David Bowie Jr.) and using/subverting Sam Rockwell’s normal jovial schtick, it won a BAFTA and a slew of other awards, but nary a flicker of interest from the Academy.

I’m not gonna post a trailer for this one, and recommend you don’t Google it.

But if you enjoy pre-Star Wars paranoid sci-fi - Silent Running springs to mind - you might well dig on this.

2 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

If you happen to be in the UK, Moon is on BBC2 tonight at 11.05pm. Go see or iPlayer it. You can also rent it on Amazon or Apple.

I read that first line and thought it must be some really good, narrated documentary about our nearest celestial neighbor or possibly the Apollo program.  🙃

In 2002, I went into the theater to see a martial arts film.  Instead what I saw was an art masterpiece disguised as a martial arts film.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you haven't seen 'pulp fiction', it's pure Americana. Green apple cigarettes and foot massage drama.

'Requiem for a dream' is good, but upsetting.

'blame!' is a really good anime movie available on Netflix

'the platform' is a movie about a prison where groups of 2 are on floors of an enormous tower. They get knocked unconscious every month and moved floor. Food comes down a central shaft, and goes top to bottom. This means the lower floors get poor quality food, or none. Drama ensues.  Part 2 comes out October 4th of this year. It's really good.

'the circle' is a good sleepy time movie. A group of people are trapped in a room where they must eliminate one another for unknown captors/reasons. Also on Netflix.

If you haven't played (yes played) bandersnatch, consider doing so!! It's a psychological horror choose your own adventure where you select options with your remote. It has many ways it can turn out. Also Netflix.

figs bonus picks - 'devilman crybaby' / cyberpunk 2077 - Netflix. I've watched both at least 4 times....

...oh, and 'love and sexy robots' or something, you'll find it.

image.thumb.png.6e97f5ea3e1f007a2bd6c15727ddfe71.png

-- figs, movie critic

If you are a fan of motorcycles, racing and/or Steve McQueen...

McQueen was a huge motorcycle aficionado and racer himself, a lot of people think that he dies from smoking but he actually died from complications due to mesothelioma caused by the asbestos in the brake pads.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

On 8/16/2024 at 11:58 PM, honoroit said:

If you haven't seen 'pulp fiction', it's pure Americana. Green apple cigarettes and foot massage drama.

'Requiem for a dream' is good, but upsetting.

It's funny how I watched Pulp Fiction so many years after it came out that it honestly didn't hit for me like it should have. An underrated Tarantino film since he only wrote it is True Romance. 

Requiem for a Dream is the best 'Don't do drugs kids and here's why' film. It's worth watching. Once.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

Secondhand Lions:  Robert Duvall, Michael Caine, Haley Joel Osment, Kyra Sedgwick

Duvall is almost a force of nature in this one, and his teaming with Caine is brilliant.  I recognized Christian Kane ("The Librarians") in the flashback scenes.

• Like 1

From Steven Soderbergh, director of Ocean's 11, 12 and 13, comes... Ocean's 7-11.

Aka Logan Lucky. 

This tells the story of two down-on-their-luck brothers, played by Channing Tatum and Adam Driver.

They plan a hillbilly version of the Ocean's Vegas heist: robbing the vault of Charlotte's NASCAR track.

And in fairness, it's a pretty brilliant plan, especially the ingenious if disgusting means of mapping the system.

But any similarity with Danny's smooth crew ends there. Especially when they pull in eccentric safecracker Joe Bang (Daniel Craig with an even weirder Suthun-fried accent than Knives Out) along with his idiot brothers Sam (Brian Gleeson) and Fish (a baby-faced Jack Quaid).

If you love a good caper movie that you're never quite sure if it's going to plan, or just a good laugh, I recommend...

I just saw Pontypool and it's banging around in my head. That movie is fantastic. Kinda funny thinking about a Cult Classic movie like that when Wolverine+Deadpool is slamming theaters.

You are on the edge of your seat the whole time, the pacing is fantastic, the script is masterful, and you can't see the end coming. Unlike certain modern blockbusters, eh?