How can I play offline?

temnix

There isn't, really.

City of Heroes is not like (say) Diablo, where you have the full game and you just don't need the social aspects. City of Heroes has some assets on the PC side, and some (the servers that take care of maps, missions, the auction house, etc.) on servers.

The closest thing you can do is download the servers from ourodev and run your own - but you won't have all the updates done to Homecoming, for instance. It takes a bit of setup to do. If you follow the instructions, it's not *difficult,* but it's not the simplest either.

• Like 1

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

11 minutes ago, Greycat said:

There isn't, really.

City of Heroes is not like (say) Diablo, where you have the full game and you just don't need the social aspects. City of Heroes has some assets on the PC side, and some (the servers that take care of maps, missions, the auction house, etc.) on servers.

The closest thing you can do is download the servers from ourodev and run your own - but you won't have all the updates done to Homecoming, for instance. It takes a bit of setup to do. If you follow the instructions, it's not *difficult,* but it's not the simplest either.

I could follow the instructions, but where are they? Also don't those updates apply to the server files? I don't expect live updates, but I don't want a game from twenty years ago either. Also any idea how much disk space that would require?

All the instructions are at OuroDev to install the game, space required and recommended PC stats are there too. Homecomings updates are not public files and are not compatible with the OuroDev installation. It is based on the Issue 24 Beta files so it would be the game as it was at shutdown. 

OuroDev

• Thanks 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

17 minutes ago, Parabola said:

As I understand it they wouldn't be compatible. Homecoming have made a load of under the hood updates and improvements.

Homecoming has made significant changes to the game.  It is indeed about 3 issues worth.  A LOT.  

• Thumbs Up 1

There's always the utility, all some of us had in the dead-zone years, that lets you wander around a completely static City. ICON something? Not sure if it still works with HC.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Just guessing here, but maybe when you heard "single-player" people were talking about playing solo.... as in not teaming.  That happens a lot, but they're still playing online connected to the server.  Playing "offline" would not be something that is common practice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

8 hours ago, temnix said:

Why doesn't Homecoming make its files available to the OuroDev people, though? The game is free and, as far as I can see, kept up by donations.

My guess would be that they are restricted from doing so in the licensing agreement they have with NCSoft.

I don't imagine the IP owner would want a newer, updated version of the game being released 'into the wild'.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

3 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Just guessing here, but maybe when you heard "single-player" people were talking about playing solo.... as in not teaming.  That happens a lot, but they're still playing online connected to the server.  Playing "offline" would not be something that is common practice. 

In a different thread, he was asking about how to play and not run into or interact with other players.

I had suggested just installing the game himself and not playing on a public server.

Unfortunately I know it was possible since the code is out in the wild, but have no clue how to do it myself- which is why he is asking.