HP cap too low

After accolades and set bonuses, some defensive sets can have their HP buffs truncated by the HP cap, which is not super satisfying.  Ideally, it should be bumped up enough that everyone can benefit from at least one defender HP buff.

Edited by Elfis
simplifying

Imagine if the damage cap were 250%, and not only did defender buffs often do nothing, but your own build up couldn't give you the full amount because you hit the cap already.  The HP cap is like that, except that it affects far fewer people.

On one hand I do understand this issue, being someone who likes to play armored ATs there are certain armors that push way over the cap without any effort. It does feel bad having any HP set bonuses become useless and feeling like I have to avoid them at all costs. 

But on the other hand, just globally buffing max HP doesn't seem like a good idea for balance because the game is mostly pretty easy as it is (although that will change over time as more NPC groups get revamped). Additionally, most of the armors that provide such massive HP boosts tend to already be high performers anyways, so this kind of buff might just make the rich get richer. 

...I don't really know what to do about it. 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

HP buffs were designed to be most effective on player characters without +HP IO set bonuses and accolades, specifically because not all player characters are guaranteed to be using those.  Someone having IO set bonuses and/or accolades which reduce the overall benefit of HP buffs isn't unintentional, or something in need of revision, especially not by increasing the maximum survivability of everyone just so those buffs aren't "wasted".  That's not an improvement, it's power creep.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Just now, Saiyajinzoningen said:

perhaps the HP buffs could spill over into armor instead somehow?

Completely unrelated stat and that could make everyone into a Tanker.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Elfis said:

Imagine if the damage cap were 250%, and not only did defender buffs often do nothing, but your own build up couldn't give you the full amount because you hit the cap already.  The HP cap is like that, except that it affects far fewer people.

Players on teams are always running up against caps. You have so much Fulcrum Shift your enhancements aren’t even contributing any more. Etc. This is nothing new. This is not a problem. 

• Thanks 1

The only idea I can think of that might be in the realm of sanity might be to have the game track your uncapped HP for determining your regen per sec (regen ticks scale off your HP). Since resistance debuffs already track your uncapped resists (100% resistance = immunity to res debuffs) I think this might be possible?

But even if it's mechanically possible, there is still the legitimate counter-argument that it might be imbalancing to give certain armors this type of buff (Invuln, Stone). So status quo probably wins here. 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

Uh, no, the only idea in the realm of sanity is just to raise the HP cap.  They have certainly made more radical balance changes than this one already.

• Thumbs Down 2

8 minutes ago, biostem said:

Obviously with everyone soft-capping def via IOs, the enemy's chance to hit should be able to be lowered, and we should be able to reach 100% dmg RES.

tumblr_inline_pdn242YfVl1rj1ypz_400.gifv

YES!  100% more Karl Urban in this thread!  I AM WIN!

• Haha 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

13 minutes ago, biostem said:

Obviously with everyone soft-capping def via IOs, the enemy's chance to hit should be able to be lowered, and we should be able to reach 100% dmg RES.

While we're at it, we should also have the damage caps pumped up. After all,  between the 97% damage buff we can slot into our powers, the global damage buffs we get from set bonuses, Build Up and Aim (since some ATs get both), and the boost we can get from our Alpha, it doesn't take much to slam into our damage caps. Especially when you start using  Righteous Rage and/or Intuition inspirations. (For clarification, I'm being sarcastic. Please do not take my comment as a serious request.)

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You guys are absurd.  Raising the HP cap wouldn't harm balance at all.  The HP cap is just a little blemish, but it is a blemish, and easily fixed.  If they were to start making other stats have such poor caps, each one would make the game just a little bit worse.  In fact, if they were to mess up on a more prominent stat, for example if they set the damage cap to 300% or the defense buff cap to +75%, players would leave the game in droves.

Sure this one is minor, but it's a broken cap.  I would actually rather have them remove HP accolades so that the cap worked right than to leave it just a tiny bit broken as is.

• Thumbs Down 1

40 minutes ago, Elfis said:

I would actually rather have them remove HP accolades so that the cap worked right than to leave it just a tiny bit broken as is.

So you would rather all ATs lose out on HP so high HP armor set characters can get more use of buffs from other players they don't need? Do you also want Tankers and Brutes to get lower resistances so they can be buffed by that Defender they don't currently need a buff from because they are at max resist before the Defender does anything? Do you also want Eye of the Magus and Demonic Aura to lose their accolade powers because they often don't improve the Tanker's or Brute's damage resist to things like Smash/Lethal damage?

Edit: Some ATs on some power sets are going to run up against their cap for various attributes in the game. That does not mean those caps need to be increased or the buffs they share with other ATs need to be removed. If that Defender you cite in the OP doesn't need to buff that character, the Defender can turn his/her/their/its attention to the other characters that do need the support.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to correct "do" to "to".

Even with the +max HP accolades, few toons are at the HP cap.  Only those with Dull Pain type powers that give them that, or super specialized builds (like some of my Blasters) are people at the HP cap.  And if you encounter one of those toons with max HP... just move on to the one that isn't at the cap - because they need the help more!  

Additionally, toons with defensive sets that can get to max HPs already NEED THAT because they are taking the aggro - that's why it's in their set to begin with.  But they will need other things from a defender - heals, endurance, def, resists... etc.  So again, give your +max HPs to squishier toons that most likely are not at the cap and need your help.

And if you think raising the HP caps doesn't upset game balance, you are SORELY mistaken.  The amount you regen is based off of Max HPs.  The more HPs you have the more your regen - and every toon regens to some degree.  And the armors that have regen in it are balanced around ATs HP caps.  And this is why Tankers, who have the highest HP cap, do not have access to the Regeneration Armor set because it's game breaking.  

11 hours ago, FupDup said:

...the game is mostly pretty easy as it is (although that will change over time as more NPC groups get revamped).

/sigh

We do not need more revamps.

Torchbearer