Character Select Screen

Hallibel

That's the problem, it doesn't. I reorder my characters, I play the game. I log out back to character select screen to switch characters, and it's back in the previous order. It happens if I log in, switch the character order, then log out and back in again.

I will have to hunt through the archived forums, if I recall correctly there's a way to modify your character roster text file to keep them in order. Or perhaps PK or or Zombie Man may recall and pop in here with the info. :)

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Okay, found these steps in the archived forums:

1) Arrange your characters on each server in the exact order you want them. Make sure to move each character at least once.

2) Go into your CoH folder, find the subfolder with your account name on it.

3) Find playerslot.txt. (This may be tricky, what with the folder having one file for every player you've ever exchanged /tells with.)

4) Right-click, "proprieties", check "Read Only", "Apply".

FYI:  Make sure the folder itself isn't set to read-only? That'd override any individual file settings.  Thanks to @THEDarkTyger for imparting this suggestion, as it resolved the OP's issue.

In the same thread Impish Kat also suggested the following:

"I just went into the playerslot.txt file, deleted the content, saved the (empty) text file, and let the game rewrite it when I logged in and arranged my characters as desired. Seems to do the trick without changing the file to read only."

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

That's the problem, it doesn't. I reorder my characters, I play the game. I log out back to character select screen to switch characters, and it's back in the previous order. It happens if I log in, switch the character order, then log out and back in again.

shrug, works for me (on one computer, not remembered of different ones)

1) Arrange your characters on each server in the exact order you want them. Make sure to move each character at least once.

3) Find playerslot.txt. (This may be tricky, what with the folder having one file for every player you've ever exchanged /tells with.)

"I just went into the playerslot.txt file, deleted the content, saved the (empty) text file, and let the game rewrite it when I logged in and arranged my characters as desired. Seems to do the trick without changing the file to read only."

Thank you, I tried this but neither method worked. I'll dig around see if I can find anything.

Thank you, I tried this but neither method worked. I'll dig around see if I can find anything.

Make sure the folder itself isn't set to read-only? That'd override any individual file settings. Though I'd think you'd be having bigger problems if it was.

Make sure the folder itself isn't set to read-only? That'd override any individual file settings. Though I'd think you'd be having bigger problems if it was.

This was it! Thank you. My entire Tequila folder was set to Read Only. And no, no other problems had presented themselves.

Glad you were able to express that you're not having this problem with such indifference. Super useful.

+1 inf

I have updated my original post with your suggestion since it solved the OP's issue.

It currently works for me, just by dragging the character icon to the desired location. It stays the same unless I change it again.

Project Manager, Haphazard Projects

Founder of the L.A.U.G.H. SG

"If you don't laugh at yourself, someone else will laugh at you first!"

FYI:  Make sure the folder itself isn't set to read-only? That'd override any individual file settings.  Thanks to @THEDarkTyger for imparting this suggestion, as it resolved the OP's issue.

One thing I discovered with the playerslot.txt file:  you can manually arrange your characters just by changing the slot number for each character name.  You do not have to re-order the names in the file, only the slot number matters.  This can be useful if you have a lot of characters to rearrange.  If you do this, I'd recommend double checking your numbers before launching the game (always make backups);  I don't know what would happen if you gave two characters the same slot number.

One thing I discovered with the playerslot.txt file:  you can manually arrange your characters just by changing the slot number for each character name.  You do not have to re-order the names in the file, only the slot number matters.  This can be useful if you have a lot of characters to rearrange.  If you do this, I'd recommend double checking your numbers before launching the game (always make backups);  I don't know what would happen if you gave two characters the same slot number.

This is what I was going to point out and take one step farther. TBH I wouldn't mess with the playerslot file in terms of permissions because you'd have to unlock it every time you add/remove an alt. You're more likely to cause game issues that way. Yes, you can drag/drop and it's pretty quick. The trick with that is that the game sometimes scrolls too quickly, so it takes practice. Now that we get a billion slots (10 per page) it's possible to sort/group your alts if they're themed in some way. I haven't tried using comments in the file, but since it's based on C/C++ I'd assume that you could comment with group separations like Hero, Vill, etc.

As for editing the file, no, you don't have to rearrange the order, but it would make your life so much easier if you're looking to arrange them using it. Since we can copy/paste with ease, then it's just that simple to make a new file, setup the numbering, and just copy/paste the names.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)