The sound!

I normally play in a room with my wife and daughter, so I play without sound.

A few years ago I wanted headphones for a present so I could listen to my computer.  My F-i-L bought me headphones - but they were USB and I had no free USB ports on my computer.

But with my new computer I have an extra USB port, so I can use the headphones.

And the sound of CoH is shockingly lush with my headphones on.  Through my computer the sound effects were noise, but with my headphones they really sound like specific things.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/21/2024 at 2:39 PM, DougGraves said:

And the sound of CoH is shockingly lush with my headphones on.  Through my computer the sound effects were noise, but with my headphones they really sound like specific things.

I turn the sound track way down because it repeats so much.

Other than that, the sounds in the game are great.

Not that the music isn't great, it just repeats so much ... especially in a long play session.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

7 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I turn the sound track way down because it repeats so much.

I often do as I  may be listening to other music already.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 4/21/2024 at 2:45 PM, ZemX said:

It's a shame the "3D sound" option doesn't work anymore.  It was even better when you could actually tell which directions sounds were coming from.

Was that omni-directional?  Because I can hear 360 directional sound all the time.  I've called out Kronos attacks several times recently while I was perched on the Talos tram station working in the AH menu, and heard those metal stomps approaching from specific directions.  I do have trouble with the glowie sounds in that big, pool-filled Council mission room, however.  I know which direction they are but not where they are vertically in all those floors and pocket hidey-holes.  Hence my question.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some sounds in that game, I tell you...

The Yellow inspiration activation sound. Especially if I haven't played in a while.  It makes me shudder with pleasure, every time.

Edited by Aeroprism
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Was that omni-directional?  Because I can hear 360 directional sound all the time.

Are you sure you're not just hearing left/right stereo?  Because without the 3D Sound option enabled, I think CoH just does a stereo sound mix.  You might be expanding that to 5.1 or 7.1 in sound settings but it's still only playing sounds from generally the left and right as that's all the game is sending.

The way to tell is find a sound you are sure is coming from some object in the environment.  A torch on the wall in Oranbega should do it.  Or someone standing around with their heal on auto.   Close your eyes, spin around, stop, and then see if you can guess whether the sound is in front of you or behind you before opening your eyes to check.   If you can't do this perfectly every time, you're probably just hearing stereo.

Last time I fiddled around with this I think I decided the game actually sounds better when I switch to 2-speaker setup before launching CoH.  Normally I play on headphones with virtual 7.1 surround speaker setup.  In most modern games that actually can mix to multi-speaker setups, this does a good enough job of letting me know where a sound is coming from.  But in CoH it was acting weird.  Some sounds seemed like they were nowhere or inside my head.  Other sounds were painfully loud like Ice Swords (still are sort of).  Putting it on 2-speaker helped me pick out better which direction sounds were coming from left/right and that was usually good enough for finding glowies.

• Thumbs Up 1