PUG ugliness and beauty

I am badging out my Dark Dark Tank and am enjoying it.

There is one or two intrepid souls running a lot of Ouro on Excelsior for badges.

Today i saw an ad go up in LFG for an Underground I Trial.  I needed Avatar Assassin so I joined.

The team was okay, if a little odd.  We get to the start of the bomb run.  I usually Blast here, so I post about taking it easy on my Tank for once.  I look down to study German, thinking I had 5 min or more.  I glance up.  The team failed on the first bomb....  Makes you wonder how some of these folks ever made it to 50.

Good news is I got the Avatar Assassin (dumb luck, no instructions were given) and my Master UG, plus a VR.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Makes you wonder how some of these folks ever made it to 50

I mean, "AFK farm door sitting" literally does not require you be there, so, yeah...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

The last couple of UGs I was on that made an effort on the bomb badge failed. Both times I followed instructions and stayed behind the leader. Both times, some other person either ignored that request/suggestion/order/command, or just didn't see it and went past the bomb and triggered it. I honestly try not to think some of these players do this on purpose because they don't care about the badge, they just want the reward table. They don't think the extra time is worth the free uncommon, I guess. Or they're oblivious of it. 

I've never heard any leader talk about the extra free uncommon you get for each badge earned within the trial, nor the free random rare for getting Master of. 

None of them share the info about the trigger range of the bomb (150 feet) and the timer (10 seconds). They just say "Stay behind me". 
If they can't do that one thing...then I suppose giving them the extra information is pointless. 

And these are easy badges to get! It would be funny if it weren't such a sad reflection on the player base. 
But, I really need to try to keep in mind some folks are brand new, and genuinely know so very little that they are unaware of their ignorance. I'm sure 95% of the folks that make these kinds of errors don't do so maliciously; at least, that's what I repeatedly tell myself. They didn't do it on purpose; they just didn't know. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Ukase said:

They just say "Stay behind me". 

Counterpoint...  if they don't say what they're doing and why, the eager beavers might just think they are jerk leader who wants to be in control of everything.  There's enough of control freak leaders out there for that to be plausible.  

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

10 hours ago, biostem said:

I mean, "AFK farm door sitting" literally does not require you be there, so, yeah...

I was waiting for the obligatory pitch fork against farming and here it is.

I have to offer the obligatory counter in that some of the objective worst players in the game that I have ever had the indecency of teaming with have played the game normally from 1-50. Usually the better players, the vets if you will, PL their alts to 50 because they’ve seen it all and just want a new 50.

It really depends on the mindset of the player in question, leveling from 1-50 does not make you a good player, it just means you prefer that method. You can still learn and have godawful habits from 1-50. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 4

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

Players don’t learn by osmosis. Someone has to teach them. If a team is not taking the time to explain things, there should be no expectations. 

I've played CoH for a long time, but rarely team. For task forces and trials that don’t allow solo play, I simply don’t know them. I try to encourage explanations by saying “I don’t know this mission”. Often someone helps. Sometimes not. 

This game isn’t any better than who we are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The American Dream, Willpower/Kinetic Melee Tanker, Everlasting.

6 hours ago, Seed22 said:

I was waiting for the obligatory pitch fork against farming and here it is.

Did you miss what I quoted?  I was answering how someone could get to 50 without knowing how to play.  AFK door-sitting farming is one such way.  For the record, I have no problem with farming in general, only the specific instances where someone with little to no knowledge of "how to play" gets PL'd to 50 then whinges about things being too difficult, not knowing where to go or what to do, etc...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Seed22 said:

IUsually the better players, the vets if you will, PL their alts to 50 because they’ve seen it all and just want a new 50.

It really depends on the mindset of the player in question, leveling from 1-50 does not make you a good player, it just means you prefer that method. You can still learn and have godawful habits from 1-50. 

Welll...   okay, I am not saying I am a "good player"  Come to think of it, I think my cup of blood spoiled on writing good.  Damn you!

But I tend to not PL most of my alts.  The point of a new AT/powerset is to play it.  So I do.  Again, I may not fit the above criteria.  I also may be an outlier data point.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Snarky said:

The team was okay, if a little odd.  We get to the start of the bomb run.  I usually Blast here, so I post about taking it easy on my Tank for once.  I look down to study German, thinking I had 5 min or more.  I glance up.  The team failed on the first bomb....  Makes you wonder how some of these folks ever made it to 50.

To be fair getting to 50 doesn't mean someone knows how all the incarnate trials work.   I have a ton of 50s and I've rarely done any except BAF and Lambda myself so those are the only two I can say I'm really well versed in how they work.  Unless someone gives clear directions, I wouldn't expect anything.

• Like 1