Okay, refresh and old timers memory

Valtina

I am trying to remember, before the sun went down, did we have so many gear checks going on? As I remember in live we  looked at a persons skill with their AT verses their enhancement slots. A person back then did not always have a sugar alt and often times had to perfect their play style through running Hollows, Perez, or grind missions out unless you had a static team. And if you got into a random, if you proved you could do your job people did not care what IO's you had or if you had your alpha at rank two.

I see so much of that, Just last night I was watching chat and was astounded seeing people say if you don't have this you're not welcome, apply if you have this. And all I keep thinking is, you know someone power leveled can have exactly what you are asking for and not know a darned thing about their AT and you are going to face plant more than if you had a skilled person with their AT and missing that alpha, or that IO.

Yes if you look at Valtina, she has been power leveled by my partner who I ran with in live, she was a level 50 defender back on Justice that healed through so many Rikti raids, TF's and Trials, so before you say anything about" but you..." I know what I am doing, and while a lot of vets are coming back, there are a lot of new folks just discovering our beloved game, some that come from other games where the push is what it is all about and forget learning your class. Others that are just now finding their ability to be a Super Hero and just might lose that joy in the end if they don't have just the right gear no matter how well they learned their AT.

I guess what my rambling is about is, when did CoX become just another gear check, this is not WoW people, and even the underdog can be a hero on a daily basis if given half the chance to do so.

First I've heard of it. CoH has never been a MMO where gear or powersets or powers were used as requirements to join a team or do something, with a very small number of exceptions. Regen Scrappers tanking Hamidon back when they were the only ones with the Regen powerset, for example. Kinetics without Speed Boost usually got comments. But, in general, I never used to hear such comments, and I have not heard such comments now.

I guess what my rambling is about is, when did CoX become just another gear check, this is not WoW people, and even the underdog can be a hero on a daily basis if given half the chance to do so.

The answer from my PoV is - "Jerks".

Nothing more, nothing less.

Jerks will arrive in droves to any new game, especially a free one, and then try to tell everyone how to play.

/gignore and move on, is my opinion, while letting others know in chat that the requirements are silly and jerkish.

They have a right to be jerks with making teams, I have a right to never play with them and let others know that outlook is mean from my PoV.

Modern MMO players have become DPS meters that seem to expect all other players to be bots working for them, IMO.

The answer from my PoV is - "Jerks".

Nothing more, nothing less.

Jerks will arrive in droves to any new game, especially a free one, and then try to tell everyone how to play.

/gignore and move on, is my opinion, while letting others know in chat that the requirements are silly and jerkish.

They have a right to be jerks with making teams, I have a right to never play with them and let others know that outlook is mean from my PoV.

Modern MMO players have become DPS meters that seem to expect all other players to be bots working for them, IMO.

I am glad I am not the only one seeing this, and while it does not effect me, it makes me worry for our community. But I agree so many are coming from games that depend on such, and have never experienced a game like this where your skill was meant to be the measure of your ability and not your IO's. I generally just shake my head and move on but I think I might start saying something, ignoring the problem may just be as much of the issue as those that are doing these call outs. 

While I hate to admit it I witnessed a good bit of an on over the course of a few hours in atlas. It was pretty heavy but then after a while I just closed that particular chat and went to do my own thing. What Valtina is saying is and does happen, just saddening from a old vet's point of view. It never mattered much with the rare exception of a few trials who was what, it was all about helping out the hero next to you or in some cases yes even the villain. I see Valtina's point and have to agree with jubakumbi .

Though if someone new to the game is reading this. I recommend finding people that just enjoy the play and don't worry about silly requirements for this team or that team enjoy the game that's what CoH/CoV has always been about.

People are really DOING that?

In *THIS* game?!

o_O

Okay, that's just being ridiculous.

City in no way requires that kind of thing.

Unless you're doing Magisterium and want the "REALLY Hard Way" badge or you're starting an Underground full-badge run (You do have to pay a little attention to the teams in those two cases, but even so-), it's just not in any way necessary to 'gear check' characters in this game.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Well, TBH, on Live, Atlas on Freedom was not a much different hive of scum and villiany

Many have returned to this game with only the 'good' memories from Live, IMO.

I avoid Atlas entirely ASAP.

I turn off virtually all chat.

Relaxing silience.

I grew tired of the "Look At Me!" chatter in multiplayer games before I started playing CoH back in the day.

Running teams, however, I will do when in the mood.

In all my team building messages I say ALL are welcome, ALL the time, unless a badge/level restriction is involved, obviously.

I also love to stand _beside_ these players and get groups, do whatever it is they are going to do, then come back, because sometimes, they are still building a team, while we already ran the content. Tasty.

Well, TBH, on Live, Atlas on Freedom was not a much different hive of scum and villiany

Many have returned to this game with only the 'good' memories from Live, IMO.

I avoid Atlas entirely ASAP.

I turn off virtually all chat.

Relaxing silience.

I grew tired of the "Look At Me!" chatter in multiplayer games before I started playing CoH back in the day.

Running teams, however, I will do when in the mood.

In all my team building messages I say ALL are welcome, ALL the time, unless a badge/level restriction is involved, obviously.

I also love to stand _beside_ these players and get groups, do whatever it is they are going to do, then come back, because sometimes, they are still building a team, while we already ran the content. Tasty.

I might be in love, that tasty snapback is amazing. Good luck out there hero and have fun.

Many have returned to this game with only the 'good' memories from Live, IMO. [\quote]

TBH it probably was the same way on Justice at the end, I had most chats turned off except for friends, SG and local. So you are probably right there.

I love that thought and it gives me new hope for those of us that are old timers , thank you for showing me not all are going that path!

With Incarnates.  Kinda.  Sorta.  The thing is, you are mostly correct, just about any make-up of any team can do about 99% of the content in the game.  However, there are still situations where, if you bite off more than you can chew, you're gonna have a bad time.  For example, my SG back in the day ran a Numina TF back when it was always "set" to the highest possible in-range level (39) and all of us were the minimum required (35).  Lemme tell you, +4 Nemesis Vegeance and +4 Devouring Earth emanators...those aren't fun.  We did persevere and finish eventually, and now you're thinking "okay, but that sounds like you're just affirming CoH isn't a gear-check game", but here's the difference: those missions ain't timed.

9 times outta 10, if I see someone asking for specific "gear", it's for Incarnate stuff, which you can't just "knuckle up" for, particularly if it's also badge related (which is probably a good half of those 9/10 times).  When you're up against what are effectively level 57s, and you've got to do it in a limited amount of time, having people with the requisite Incarnate powers is kinda crucial.  And even for the un-timed ones, with Apex and/or Tin Mage, having an Alpha is a requirement by the game, not the player (just the same as a level 28 character can't join a Manticore TF).

I do still occasionally see people setting bars outside of that, but they're pretty rare (and, yeah, those sorts of people were in the game back in the day, too).  So I don't think things have really changed much.

Maybe it's being on Everlasting, or maybe it's the time I'm playing... Though it's usually mornings and prime time. But I just don't see much of this going on. At most I've seen people posting for requests like asking for a brute or tanker, sometimes controller or DPS to round out a team. But pretty much everyone I've seen looking for groups is happy with another warm body of a level high enough to do the content. I mean my controller was getting in 50+ radio missions in PI in the mid 30s and nobody even cared. The way the game is set up nobody has to care. There's no need to the trinity, there's no need for 'gearing up'. Anybody can play almost any content with any archetype and power set. Some things are easier or harder depending on who you have with you but I've never seen a group outright fail because of the make up.

Maybe it's a different kettle doing Incarnate trials... I never did those even on live. I do honestly think people making demand on how characters are built are those who come from other more gear-centered games who just haven't caught on yet. These are the same ones who want to rush through everything because most of those other games are about hitting that level cap and working on end game gearing and progression. Unlike our beloved City of Heroes which is 'You're a super hero (or villain)! Go have fun!'

If you know what you're doing, you can run a 1 hour or less ITF at +4/8 starting with 2 or 3 Incarnate Death Gods (you know what I mean -- well-built, well-incarnated characters) and it absolutely doesn't matter who the other 5-6 people on the team are or what they contribute.

Most of the game doesn't require Incarnate Death Gods, just smart players.  People who demand that you have X build or that they need X AT or that you can not bring X AT to the party reveal to me that they don't know what they're doing, they aren't smart players, and I do not want to team with such people if I can avoid it.

If you're trying to complete a Master Of TF, then okay, I can understand being picky.  But I'd hope you have friends who you play with that you can trust in those situations.  :P

In general the only "gear checks" I've seen are for incarnate content where a certain level of gear is required for the content. You need an alpha slot ability to do Apex & Tin Mage (unless you like have a -4 levels debuff) and for trials beyond BAF, Lamda and Keyes you really need at least some level shifts.

Defender Smash!

If you're trying to complete a Master Of TF, then okay, I can understand being picky.  But I'd hope you have friends who you play with that you can trust in those situations.  :P

Exactly.

If a record-breaking run is the goal and plainly advertised or something, that's fine, that can be fun, the 'all same AT' teams, that can be fun, etc.

But saying you must be this tall to ride the ride on anything can be done with any group (virtually all content) - if it fails miserably, the whole group gets to learn and laugh, IMO, as it finds it's footing.

But the Taskmasters would rage and rage, kick players, quit the team and /gignore the Tank and the 'Healer'.

So sad.

It is a game, not a job, not an obligation to others, just a fun way to spend time.

Some people go out of thier way to suck the fun out of anything.

Now I'm itching to do some old-school Warburg/Shivan/Katie Hannon runs and crash STF with six Blasters or something.  Or none of those things, and five Defenders.

Hah.  I don't know which possibility amuses me more -- gear checks for content runs, or PUG hard way badge runs based on slotting alone.

Never come across a "gear check" for anything outside of having alpha slot unlocked for incarnate stuff and even then have taken people without to unlock it on way. Even on "Master of" runs we have taken sub optimal groups.

Hm.

Silly Saturdays might have to be a thing.

"What is the worst way we could do this? Soes everyone have something on that list? Only six blasters and a 10th level PB? Eh, close enough, let's roll!"

That would increase the Funs Per Second!

I agree incarnate missions are a thing to need some specifics, however there was a team running regular stories in one of the cities cant remember which that was saying  have all so or IO or don't ask. so that was what I was talking about more than anything.

Now this silly saturday thing.. I am in sounds like a blast!

For example, my SG back in the day ran a Numina TF back when it was always "set" to the highest possible in-range level (39) and all of us were the minimum required (35).  Lemme tell you, +4 Nemesis Vegeance and +4 Devouring Earth emanators...those aren't fun.

Sounds like you needed someone with Detention Field on your team... los3Hmo.gif

I'm out.

I've definitely seen people asking for requirements that aren't necessary. Like, arbitrary minimum levels to do routine content like story missions or even just papers/radios. Like, WHY? There's level synching with the sidekick system. Maybe you don't want to drag a newbie from Atlas Park along but this was never "10+" it was like "We want people in our actual range and won't take anyone lower."

I think some of it is just people's behaviors from other games carrying over. Just like you see people saying "Doing X, need Healer."

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Now I'm itching to do some old-school Warburg/Shivan/Katie Hannon runs and crash STF with six Blasters or something.  Or none of those things, and five Defenders.

Hah.  I don't know which possibility amuses me more -- gear checks for content runs, or PUG hard way badge runs based on slotting alone.

Never come across a "gear check" for anything outside of having alpha slot unlocked for incarnate stuff and even then have taken people without to unlock it on way. Even on "Master of" runs we have taken sub optimal groups.

Hm.

Silly Saturdays might have to be a thing.

"What is the worst way we could do this? Soes everyone have something on that list? Only six blasters and a 10th level PB? Eh, close enough, let's roll!"

That would increase the Funs Per Second!

Im personally a fan of 8x same AT teams, not sure why.

I've definitely seen people asking for requirements that aren't necessary. Like, arbitrary minimum levels to do routine content like story missions or even just papers/radios. Like, WHY? There's level synching with the sidekick system. Maybe you don't want to drag a newbie from Atlas Park along but this was never "10+" it was like "We want people in our actual range and won't take anyone lower."

I mean to be fair a sidekicked character generally isn't as powerful as one in the actual level range (fewer powers/slots). If you're cranking up the difficulty a bit then asking for somewhat higher level characters isn't completely unreasonable. On the other hand so long as they are level 22+ (i.e. they have SOs) the difference isn't that big of a deal.

Defender Smash!