Okay, refresh and old timers memory

Valtina

Stuff like what OP saw, I'd figure to be holdovers from other games, that, in this environment, are freaking crazy talk.

Just play, we'll make it work.

Indeed . I agree it's crazy I all so agree each to their own. Though I'd love to see some silly Saturdays or maybe even a Twisted Tuesday where some crazy team go out and push the limits because they can.

While I do think a portion is based around habits from previous games combined with erroneous assumptions, I think most of them realize exactly what they are doing - preventing other players from joining thier 'club' so they can feel better about themsleves...

That might just be the cranky geek talking, but from my PoV, plenty of these players really are just elitsist jerks whose personal brain chemistry does not allow them to have the empathy and compassion it takes to play with other humans.

IME they just want well trained bots, because while they will waste time looking for the pefect group, 'scrubs' 'waste' thier precious time by being 'newbs' and slowing down the rewards per minute.

I am well aware of how harsh my language is around this topic, but it's not like I have not been playing games with these players for more than a decade onlilne and many decades offline.

Some players just cannot abide anything on the screen not doing exactly what they think it should do, much less a player that does not conform to thier outlook.

Control freaks exist in all walks of life.

IME, CoH has always had this contingent, but if you avoid them, you find all sorts of actual fun people to play with, just get out of Atlas Park. :)

@jubakumbi, Sure, it could well be intentional.  But either way, it's incumbent on all of us to push back against it.  Paragon City can be cool and groovy again!

(checks self)

Sorry, Toy Story 3 has been on cable a lot the past few weeks, I channeled a little o Michael Keaton's Ken there.

Now I'm itching to do some old-school Warburg/Shivan/Katie Hannon runs and crash STF with six Blasters or something.  Or none of those things, and five Defenders.

Hah.  I don't know which possibility amuses me more -- gear checks for content runs, or PUG hard way badge runs based on slotting alone.

Last I saw the next Tanker Tuesday may include some all Tanker TF's.  :)

I would take someone with low-end power sets that they picked for flavor, rather than a Spines/Fire Brute fully decked out with sets.  When you pick power sets for fun, you learn how to make them work.  You learn how to exploit their strengths and cover their weaknesses.  Someone who blasted through to endgame in one day on a copypasta build is not going to have the kind of experience that comes with the slow progression to 50.

Just like in the old days, my primary filter for teammates is creativity.  If you have a cool concept and you've put some obvious effort into being unique, you're getting a prime spot on my team. I have found, in my experience, that someone who loves their character plays 100x better than anyone who Googled their build.

Would it count as a gear check to make note of a preference of a certain role for LFG?  Like "Looking for the Forum TF, room for 2, support preferred."  I mean, I'd like someone to be there to save us if things go south in the content, but if I wound up with myself and seven Blasters in that situation anyway then I wouldn't worry too much about it and would roll with it.

...although I've been thinking about "gear-checking" for Incarnate-less TFs, make sure everyone has them entirely unslotted.  But not sure that's what people are complaining about!

I've started to notice something similar, an alarming trend of players, especially tankers/brutes/scrappers et al, to complain and comment on knockback powers and how players should be more careful when they use it.....like we have much of a choice!

I've personally had it happen to me, a tanker complaining about knockback when I'm on my EN/EN blaster and I fire off a Nova. I get it, it spreads the bad guys, but usually, when I Nova the vast majority of the enemies are wiped out and only a couple of the higher ones survive so it's not too hard to mop them up.

Said player also started telling me about how I could get enhancements that would turn it in to knockdown. Yeah, I know, I plan on getting it when I'm a. a high enough level and b. when I have the inf/merits to get them! Plus, I think it only works in one power anyway! They whinged about it so much I politely made my apologies and quietly left them team, only for them to berate me in tells, claiming I'd thrown a hissy fit :D until I blocked them.

I would have put this down to bad luck but I've seen it on other teams at least three other times now, usually on players who are playing their characters perfectly fine.

Since when did it become ok to tell other players how to play their own toons? I've never once told a tank they should have taken taunt or complained at an archery defender that they don't have a heal, so why complain at a blaster for something built into their powers??

I've started to notice something similar, an alarming trend of players, especially tankers/brutes/scrappers et al, to complain and comment on knockback powers and how players should be more careful when they use it.....like we have much of a choice!

HA!

Don't even get me started, I will rant on that endlessly.

You don't like the KB?

Leave the team.

Anti-KB players have options, yet they think it's OK to force others to change, rather than just leaving the team.

Been fighting this one for years and years and years.

Some people even have the audacity to claim there is a 'right' way and only the 'right' way to use KB!

Just like any other player mechanic, if you don't like KB, then leave the team and stop with the silly KB guilt on players having fun.

I think it's a combination of players importing their idea of the trinity from other MMOs, and/or applying the approach to team building for Incarnate Trials to regular content.  It does strike me as bizarre when I see something like "lvl 30 radio missions in Bricktown.  Need Tank and Heals" in LFG.

It's always been a thing - especially on blueside with their tanks and healers.  It does seem more prevalent now though, albeit it also seems to vary from server to server.

I admit I may be biased.  I mostly played redside on live, and noone cared about your AT in building a team over there outside of maybe LRSF.  Redside didn't even have /empathy for a long time, and brutes were as likely to describe themselves as DPS as they were as tanks, if the subject even came up.

Luckily I play on Everlasting, where you are far, far more likely to get lambasted for being background-checked and not having a background story written than you are for being improperly "geared".

When I first logged in a couple weeks ago it took me like 12 hours to remember what enhancements were.  It took me about _2 days_ to remember how to craft.

I still haven't sold or bought anything on the AH.  It'll be a month or more before I have any of my (multitude of) toons hit 50.

But they all have sweet backstories.

Everlasting server - Sister Pistols and the Perma-Newbies SG

Well I can tell you that in creative games like this there is usually more mature people and less drama on rp servers, everlast has awesome people so far.

Actually it was on everlasting In LFG, that I saw this the other night. Now understand, I completely get trying to fill out a team, but I knew some pretty damn good defenders that did not have all io's that were top tier right up with me when I was stetted out on live. I knew some awesome blasters that would give their all in everything they did that di d not have more than a few so's. I also know some of the best players in the game never gave a rats butt about if someone was perfectly stetted or slotted. I guess its just me, wanting to give all a chance and not see the toxicity of other games.

For all us vets I am grateful for you, those that know what the game means, and those that know if a person plays their AT right it can be a beautiful thing. I for one plan on pushing back on this gear check stuff, Incarnate trials, okay, I get that, but normal story arcs.. Tina is going to stop being such a nice girl.

It does strike me as bizarre when I see something like "lvl 30 radio missions in Bricktown.  Need Tank and Heals" in LFG.

Me too. I always want to answer: If you're in that level range and still need a Healer/Tank for Radios you should either adjust your diff settings or respec ;p

But then again I love CoX and I know that in most content no particular AT is need and that's the reason why I love it.

It does strike me as bizarre when I see something like "lvl 30 radio missions in Bricktown.  Need Tank and Heals" in LFG.

Me too. I always want to answer: If you're in that level range and still need a Healer/Tank for Radios you should either adjust your diff settings or respec ;p

But then again I love CoX and I know that in most content no particular AT is need and that's the reason why I love it.

This alone would be a large reason why I would always return to CoH/CoV . Then of course the community that would leap to defend right beside you in most any situation. It's amazing to watch an entire group go from just standing around Atlas with some RP going on or general chatting then see them all yourself included go into full blown fight mode when Rikti have the audacity to set foot in Atlas. Those moments...some of the best memories and in those moments it wasn't about sets,AT or influence none of it mattered it was standing shoulder to shoulder with Heroes and defending the city no matter what with a massive grin on your face because you loved every single second of it.

On the Knock back discussion, it isn't, in some cases, just inconvenient. A lot of Tanks defense is based on the number of opponents in melee range, if they keep getting pushed away, the defense drops, sometimes tragically if you are dealing with Enemies who have ranged attacks and are still Taunted ( They Hate your Guts ) but out of melee range. You can manage this by working, if you can, use the Knock back to push them toward the Tank instead of out of melee.

A Blaster called El Jugador ( Player in Spanish ) from our Supergroup on Virtue was energy blast. He would send them flying into walls, trees, cars, mailboxes, shelving, Jay Leno, crates, stairwells, platypuses, KFC, other enemies....anything really, as long as it was near me. This was an extra bit of work on his part, but very appreciated.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On the Knock back discussion, it isn't, in some cases, just inconvenient. A lot of Tanks defense is based on the number of opponents in melee range, if they keep getting pushed away, the defense drops, sometimes tragically if you are dealing with Enemies who have ranged attacks and are still Taunted ( They Hate your Guts ) but out of melee range. You can manage this by working, if you can, use the Knock back to push them toward the Tank instead of out of melee.

A Blaster called El Jugador ( Player in Spanish ) from our Supergroup on Virtue was energy blast. He would send them flying into walls, trees, cars, mailboxes, shelving, Jay Leno, crates, stairwells, platypuses, KFC, other enemies....anything really, as long as it was near me. This was an extra bit of work on his part, but very appreciated.

Completely agree and understand. I've played an En/En blaster since day one on Live, it's been my main for all these years and I know how to play it well, I think.

What I didn't like was this tank actually telling me to avoid using knockback, especially Nova.....on an En/En blaster! I pointed out that ALL my attacks did it and there wasn't a lot I could about that. They then proceeded to tell me what things to slot in it and how to play it. And then, when I could see they weren't going to shut up about and I quietly left, they then had a pop at me in tells! :D

I don't mind constructive criticism, I welcome it, that's how I became a decent energy blaster. What I don't like is being told how to play my 15 yr old build :)

Now I'm itching to do some old-school Warburg/Shivan/Katie Hannon runs and crash STF with six Blasters or something.  Or none of those things, and five Defenders.

Hah.  I don't know which possibility amuses me more -- gear checks for content runs, or PUG hard way badge runs based on slotting alone.

For the record, my old SG used to have “Single Class Saturday”.  All eight of us would log in with the same class, but very different builds.  So, eight defenders or eight controllers or eight scrappers, etc.  Some of us had good IO sets others just standard DO’s or SO’s.  Regardless, every team was able to do any content including task forces and most important, we had a lot of fun!  The only difference was the time it took to clear a mob.  Scrappers blew through mobs like Kleenex while Controllers took about twice the time. 

Strangely, the only single class team we struggled with was Kheldians.  The lower levels were just way two squishy without any other classes to boost them.

Recent Task Force with people freaking out right before we started thinking we were going to wipe because of no tanks or brutes. I'm sitting on an Earth/Time controller and there were three other controllers in the group. We obliterated the first few fights and all the voices stopped from then on. I'm guessing there are just a lot of newer players who haven't quite caught on yet.

Hell, I was happy to get a full group much less one of my picking back on live. Low pop was a killer.

Cocoon: Forcefield/Rad/Def: Indomitable

Yeah.

I get in a group for a TF, or even DFB, and I look at everyone's archetype and powersets.  Not to find someone useless, but to note the team's STRENGTHS.

Was on one last night or this morning - three controllers, a dominator, two tanks, and a corruptor.  My comment to the team?  "Three 'trollers and a dom, this's going to be Lockdown City .... fun!"

Another DFB, four defenders a couple sentinels a brute and a controller.  "Holy heck, four defs, thassa lotta buffs and debuffs!"

And so on.  :)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism