Other Servers - Rebirth, Thunderspy, etc.

11 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Why would they want to?  I think you're forgetting this isn't anyone's full time job.  These servers are run by volunteers in their spare time. 

I never said it was if they are willing to improve the game then why not go headed and make a better version of it? If they love the game so much it would not be a problem, call it a labor of love.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

56 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

I don't think it's animosity

In at least one case, it's definitely not animosity.  It's full-blown hatred.

• Thanks 4

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

3 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

I never said it was if they are willing to improve the game then why not go headed and make a better version of it? If they love the game so much it would not be a problem, call it a labor of love.

I think you're grossly underestimating the amount of time, effort and money that would be required to "go ahead and make a better version" of the game.  Again, this is a group of volunteers doing this in their spare time. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Frozen Burn said:

I don't think it's animosity... it's just difference of ideologies.  

<snip>

I still have hope that one day - probably a few years from now - that at least Rebirth would join HC and we combine the best of what they have with what we've got here.  

Your first section is the exact reason why I don’t want your last section.

Different ideologies are good.   Variety is good.  There is a reason why I encourage people to try out all the servers.

When the game first came back, I didn’t care for the vision that the original Rebirth devs were heading, so I picked Homecoming.

Last year I realized that I was disagreeing more and more with the direction of Homecoming development, so I tried out other servers (while mainly playing on Homecoming).

This year I’m mainly playing on Rebirth.  It’s good to have options.  I wish more people realized that rather than just leaving the game entirely when they no longer agree with their servers development team  

• Like 5

I didn't know Michiyo was a dev on another server. For anybody who is unfamiliar with them, they made the current (awesome) modding system.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

18 hours ago, tatmia said:

Your first section is the exact reason why I don’t want your last section.

Different ideologies are good.   Variety is good.  There is a reason why I encourage people to try out all the servers.

When the game first came back, I didn’t care for the vision that the original Rebirth devs were heading, so I picked Homecoming.

Last year I realized that I was disagreeing more and more with the direction of Homecoming development, so I tried out other servers (while mainly playing on Homecoming).

This year I’m mainly playing on Rebirth.  It’s good to have options.  I wish more people realized that rather than just leaving the game entirely when they no longer agree with their servers development team  

+1.  This is why I'm playing on Cake New Dawn mostly now.  It's a bit free for all with how much you can do, but nothing requiring you to make your toons OP or insta-level 50 if you don't want to, and it's better than always being bothered feeling like you're constantly being nerfed and/or punished because of someone else's vision.  Having options to hop around depending on your mood is a good thing.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KingCeddd03 said:

Tell me you have no idea how much work goes into a game like this without saying you have no idea how much work goes into a game like this.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

25 minutes ago, Puma said:

+1.  This is why I'm playing on Cake New Dawn mostly now.  It's a bit free for all with how much you can do, but nothing requiring you to make your toons OP or insta-level 50 if you don't want to, and it's better than always being bothered feeling like you're constantly being nerfed and/or punished because of someone else's vision.  Having options to hop around depending on your mood is a good thing.  

I have a Cake New Dawn account and found myself so overwhelmed with all of the options at the character creator that I never made one, lol.   I'm definitely going to give it a try one of these days.  I enjoy reading their discord and seeing what people are playing.

I know a lot of the people from the various servers don't click but I will still say I really like some of the ideas on other servers. Ideas - maybe not the execution of these ideas. 

Don't get me wrong, HC is my only server but I checked out some of the others. I really like the additional costume pieces they've added (the ones that are properly done - no clipping etc). I also really liked the flood of additional ATs. Again, not all of them are well done but they were bold and added some great options. 

HC is high quality and whatever they add looks good and works. However, the HC content/mission/SF etc content has been poor. It is very boring and feels like it's 20 years old in many ways; it's also very convoluted and not fun to play. You rarely see people wanting to do the mission arcs and Aeon is usually done in a 'speedy' way so people can take a chance at getting a big money reward. I am sure some enjoy the actual SF and playing but I have yet to meet that player. Again, I have all the love in the world for the HC Devs but I also feel I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't provide my honest feedback.

I really hope HC moves towards adding more innovative missions etc as well as costume pieces and so on.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

I know a lot of the people from the various servers don't click but I will still say I really like some of the ideas on other servers. Ideas - maybe not the execution of these ideas. 

Don't get me wrong, HC is my only server but I checked out some of the others. I really like the additional costume pieces they've added (the ones that are properly done - no clipping etc). I also really liked the flood of additional ATs. Again, not all of them are well done but they were bold and added some great options. 

HC is high quality and whatever they add looks good and works. However, the HC content/mission/SF etc content has been poor. It is very boring and feels like it's 20 years old in many ways; it's also very convoluted and not fun to play. You rarely see people wanting to do the mission arcs and Aeon is usually done in a 'speedy' way so people can take a chance at getting a big money reward. I am sure some enjoy the actual SF and playing but I have yet to meet that player. Again, I have all the love in the world for the HC Devs but I also feel I'd be doing them a disservice if I didn't provide my honest feedback.

I really hope HC moves towards adding more innovative missions etc as well as costume pieces and so on.

To be fair, I'm not so sure that you can appraise the value of a story arc on the metric of "seeing other people wanting to do it."  I suspect that most people do story arcs solo, or duos at most.  I know that I play story arcs almost entirely solo, and most others that I've known throughout the years do so as well.  Teaming for story arcs just does not work well, IMO.  It's a pain in the rear for people to synchronize story arcs, and if you don't synchronize story arcs only one person gets full rewards for running that story arc, and if people on the team are of multiple alignments teams break if someone goes to a SG base.  On top of that, story arcs added from Issue 17 onwards are all almost entirely designed to be solo played.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Lunar Ronin said:

It's a pain in the rear for people to synchronize story arcs,

Amen to that. Just running as a linked pair with a friend, we always take the same contacts and progress at the same time, but I routinely have to abandon and cycle missions from the same contact to have the same mission so we can stay progressing together. It's a pain alright.

(Edit: And we're red side, so there is nowhere near the volume of filler missions that blue side has. And we still have to cycle missions from a shared contact to be on the same mission.)

Edited by Rudra

16 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

To be fair, I'm not so sure that you can appraise the value of a story arc on the metric of "seeing other people wanting to do it."  I suspect that most people do story arcs solo, or duos at most.  I know that I play story arcs almost entirely solo, and most others that I've known throughout the years do so as well.  Teaming for story arcs just does not work well, IMO.  It's a pain in the rear for people to synchronize story arcs, and if you don't synchronize story arcs only one person gets full rewards for running that story arc, and if people on the team are of multiple alignments teams break if someone goes to a SG base.  On top of that, story arcs added from Issue 17 onwards are all almost entirely designed to be solo played.

I think there's a pretty "easy" fix for that, though.  Give all story arc missions that TF lock out timer, so you can only get the full reward for completing it once every 24 hours, but everyone gets the full reward on the team when it's completed. That way you can avoid the fear of a team "farming" the final mission over and over to get big rewards, but still let everyone on a team get the full rewards without having to synch it.   For certain missions you could prevent that (like unlock arcs, etc) but honestly...do you need to on a 20 year old game?   If everyone wants to jump on to the final mission of an unlock arc and get the unlock, who really cares. Im 100% sure they've done the arc 10 times before on previous characters anyway.  If it gets people teaming outside of TFs, then go for it. 

On 5/22/2024 at 3:02 PM, tatmia said:

I have a Cake New Dawn account and found myself so overwhelmed with all of the options at the character creator that I never made one, lol.   I'm definitely going to give it a try one of these days.  I enjoy reading their discord and seeing what people are playing.

Could you direct me to their discord?

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

14 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Could you direct me to their discord?

A bit embarrassing but I’m not Discord savvy enough to figure out how to link an invite.   I think it’s on Reddit or you can just search for the name 

IMG_5749.jpeg

On 5/24/2024 at 11:37 AM, Lunar Ronin said:

Agreed. However, I am not taking polls and not running one. It is the best metric I have when gauging interest in content - not seeing people wanting to do it. I also take input from the PUGs and friends I play with.