Weaker Enemies!

16 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I love the idea of glass cannon minions. It's a staple of comic books and has been for a long time. I could see it implemented as a second type of minion adjusted for XP to take their low hit points into consideration. This could be fun for AE but not so much for farming because the XP would be minimal. Also they would be deadly because they have all their offense. 

This would be great for setting up big fights in AE that could be played by toons without specialized builds. Dumb fun whacking bad guys but you would still get regular rewards from the non glass cannon mobs. 

It already exists, it's essentially the underling class. It's just not implemented in any practical way and only applies to a few target types such as Rikti monkeys. Alternatively we could allow critter levels to be set below -1. A setting of -2/x8 or-3/x8 would go a long way towards making just about any build at any level feel super and soloing less of a slog.

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

One day I will suggest something they agree with and on that day I will light a firework. 

I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are missions like this, for sure. I don't remember exactly whose mission it is, but there's one I think Red side where you end up fighting hordes of Legacy Chain, but you've been buffed up to do it?

There are probably other examples. They CAN be fun. Even Lord Recluse's Personal Story is a bit like that iirc.

Adding some more would be fine. I think the more VARIETY of missions in the game, the better.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Captain Fabulous said:

It already exists, it's essentially the underling class. It's just not implemented in any practical way and only applies to a few target types such as Rikti monkeys. Alternatively we could allow critter levels to be set below -1. A setting of -2/x8 or-3/x8 would go a long way towards making just about any build at any level feel super and soloing less of a slog.

Not quite. I think what was suggested was minions that have full offensive capabilities but are glass cannons. So if you are playing at +4/×8 you could be whacking minions left right and center but if you yourself are squishy and you aggro multiple mobs, you could still be in a bad place because those one-shot minions are out of one-shot range. 

This reminds me how I used to TPK characters in Dungeons and Dragons with a horde of housecats. 

3 hours ago, Herotu said:

Then they are working-as-intended, I think. I like novel ways of thwarting the player, this is one of them. 

Indeed. Although I get frustrated by Rudra's constant #jrangering everything, I see them as a challenge. One day I will suggest something they agree with and on that day I will light a firework. 

That's easy. Suggest something you think is fun but will not change how others have to experience the game.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 2

18 minutes ago, Rudra said:

That's easy. Suggest something you think is fun but will not change how others have to experience the game.

After work I'm going to try and summarize this suggestion in a way that would not make it worthwhile exploiting. I'm familiar with the game mechanic that the OP is referring to and I have used it in pen and paper games. 

• Thanks 1

I have a lvl 50 AE arc with a couple of missions full of optional mobs at level 5 and 35, for story reasons, and it's REALLY fun to jump into the middle of them and use Mighty Judgement to launch them into space.  Also, you get to set a giant monster loose on the level 5s, which is funny.  It's kind of a one trick pony though.

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

24 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Don't patronise me. I'll do it the hard way.

• Haha 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

2 hours ago, Wavicle said:

There are missions like this, for sure. I don't remember exactly whose mission it is, but there's one I think Red side where you end up fighting hordes of Legacy Chain, but you've been buffed up to do it?

This is the finale of Vincent Ross's arc.

• Like 1

Laura Lockhart (Blue, Steel Canyon) offers a mission with junk minions, the only real challenge is to not run out of endurance and die from boredom.

To an extent The Honoree room in Mender Ramiel's arc has a mission with mass spawns.

Incarnates can run their own +3 against enemies of -1 in all sorts of missions. I don't see any TPKs and precious little enjoyment coming from this... but hey, design something in AE and I'll give it a try.

I kind of agree and feel underling rank should be used a bit more. Especially with lower rank groups like Hellions and Skulls who would probably have some normal street crooks still trying to get in hood with the gang.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:20 AM, Herotu said:

It feels like a missed opportunity to make the players feel like EPIC superheroes!

Take your incarnated and IO'd level 50 to Atlas Park.  There's plenty of Skulls, Hellions, and Vazh to one-shot around there.  It's even more fun if you're using a high knockback/knockup power like Umbral Torrent or Crushing Uppercut.

Everlasting's Actionette 

Also Wolfhound, Starwave, Blue Gale, Relativity Rabbit, and many more!

3 hours ago, skoryy said:

It's even more fun if you're using a high knockback/knockup power like Umbral Torrent or Crushing Uppercut.

I have a Force Field/Dark Blast defender on another sever that specializes in Hellion skeet shooting.  PULL! [Force Bolt] + [Moonbeam]!  Critter goes flying and you snipe him in the air.  great fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, skoryy said:
On 5/25/2024 at 6:20 AM, Herotu said:

It feels like a missed opportunity to make the players feel like EPIC superheroes!

Take your incarnated and IO'd level 50 to Atlas Park.  There's plenty of Skulls, Hellions, and Vazh to one-shot around there.  It's even more fun if you're using a high knockback/knockup power like Umbral Torrent or Crushing Uppercut.

Or Perez Park where they are grouped in larger groups.

• Like 1