[OPEN BETA] Patch Notes for July 6th, 2024 - Issue 28: Legacy, Page 1 - Build 1

I went in with my storm defender, pretty solid build, set it for -1/1, but it seems its moot, for the levels are arbitrary set to minimum +4/8 at the lowest level, obviously you did not think of support classes trying it alone, or you made this for melee classes to enjoy...

So I enter with my Storm/Dark Defender, with a base 50% defense vs ranged, 49% melee, 54% AOE as a whole not bad defensive values, I also entered with m y hurricane activated in order (I thought) would debuff whoever attacked me for further protection, and I was also fully stealth.

As I entered, the minotaur (GM) was right there guarding the entrance, did not have to go look for him. He two shot killed me, never had a chance to react. Never missed just one easy kill.

I tried another colored entrance, and no minotaur, at least I could try the laberynth some, the first group, despite I set it to 1, it was huge, little to say, they automatically hit me and brought me down before I could do much of anything.

This is truly a very very bad experience. Perhaps the difficulties should go from easy to crazy, instead of insane to incredibly stupid

Regards

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DrRocket said:

I went in with my storm defender, pretty solid build, set it for -1/1, but it seems its moot, for the levels are arbitrary set to minimum +4/8 at the lowest level, obviously you did not think of support classes trying it alone, or you made this for melee classes to enjoy...

So I enter with my Storm/Dark Defender, with a base 50% defense vs ranged, 49% melee, 54% AOE as a whole not bad defensive values, I also entered with m y hurricane activated in order (I thought) would debuff whoever attacked me for further protection, and I was also fully stealth.

As I entered, the minotaur (GM) was right there guarding the entrance, did not have to go look for him. He two shot killed me, never had a chance to react. Never missed just one easy kill.

I tried another colored entrance, and no minotaur, at least I could try the laberynth some, the first group, despite I set it to 1, it was huge, little to say, they automatically hit me and brought me down before I could do much of anything.

This is truly a very very bad experience. Perhaps the difficulties should go from easy to crazy, instead of insane to incredibly stupid

Regards

The Labyrinth is an open zone like the Rikti War Zone, not an instance.  Difficulty settings only work in instances.  It's also a raid zone, designed for a league.  Not really designed for one team, let alone one player.  Although certain solo players can brave The Labyrinth to explore.

• Thumbs Up 4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, DrRocket said:

Regards

I went in with both of my heavyweights, a fire/time corruptor which can lead as tank in ITF 4/8 along with fire farming solo with EBs and whatever else you could throw at it (4 star TFs included not as lead tank though), it didnt last 5 seconds solo in there, my widow which is built about the same lasted maybe 30 seconds and that was with demonic aura up on top of everything. I wasn't using any of the beta buffs. I didnt see a single person in there who was able to solo anything reasonably, tanks/brutes included. I brought along one of my friends with their built tank, we managed to last 5 minutes or so before failure.

Later that day I decided to form a team, it seemed that at about 4 people you could get through the mobs with reasonable certainty that you would not die, had MM use bots to take alpha, I then went in and gathered aggro and the other two on the team a scrapper and a widow wittled down their hp. Lasted about 10 minutes until the Minotaur showed up and basically insta killed everyone, its also worth noting apparently he can do -MaxHP to you which sucks but I think the warning for him being on the hunt needs to be red not grey, grey really doesnt give you the sense of urgency that it should considering how much of a threat he is to everyone.

Edited by burneden
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, arcane said:

1) power changes and revamps are some of my favorite things about new pages. I know I’m not the only one.

2) power changes and revamps are sorely needed, still. Empathy? Kinetic Melee? Staff Fighting? Etc.

Oh I don't doubt it. I'm putting in my 2 cents. Yes, empathy needs some attention. Maybe the other two but I am fine with where they're at,

I want priority to be given to new adds that're innovative and new. It's 2024, not 2012. HC team making this Labyrinth challenge gives me hope! 

Edited by BurtHutt

Posted (edited)

Always glad to see so many minor bug fixes getting rolled out. And all the new content looks generally interesting.

Currently Mark & Recall have the majority of my attention though. Can't wait to try it out... but I worry how useful it will actually be if it's just limited to the zone you're in. Mark & Recall is still my favorite form of long range fast travel in an MMO, from back in UO (Yeah, I'm old). I certainly understand how it's not as necessary in a game like CoH where we don't have things like player housing/towns altering the layout of a zone but I would have loved to see that sort of functionality incorporated, maybe at least as a custom teleport beacon for the base (anyone remember recall stones set up in books?) The best way I think it could be incorporated in CoH is if your Mark never got reset until you use it again... No losing it when you leave a zone (like entering a mission) so it could be used when you know ahead of time you're going to have to return to a contact for FedEx/talkie missions.

Edited by Starhammer

Each Gladiator will only interact with the same player once ever.

Player or character? If it's the former that seems really weird.

• Like 1

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

Posted (edited)

The new eye laser animation is great but the sound needs work, I recommend using the same sound as energy transfer.
Would be great by the way if Brutes and Tankers got weapon mastery for page 2 PLEASE for the love of all things naruto hear my plea! lol

Edited by KingsGaming

Those who've already been into the labyrinth with a team, do you feel that a standard 50 can fare well in a team, especially those archetypes that traditionally are squishier?  Or is it to be one rez after another for them?  By "standard" I mean a newly-minted 50 who is using non-set, non-HO crafted level 50 enhancements.    Trying to figure out if this is going to end up being the playground of those who heavily use Mids to plot their character's sets usage.

That said, the new zone sounds interesting and I definitely want to try it, even though my grumpy self sitting on my shoulder points out that it appears to be yet another "magic" zone to the exclusion of the other 4 origins. 

I also look forward to seeing the changes to the Warriors.

I am in a way sad about this new event...

But it is what it is, I went in looking for to casually explore and learn the area, which is impossible.

In order to do the content, its going to force special requirements on the players to compose a team, a huge leap backwards from the casual atmosphere that homecoming had cultivated.

But one has to accept change...

Perhaps, there is a way to still allow a bit of casual feel to this...

When an individual or team engages a colored portal, a dialogue box opens, just like a TF, and lets the player or leader choose the difficulty (-1/1 or +4/8 or or +8/10 any mix there off); and creates an instanced of the labyrinth  this way there is choice and anyone can enjoy the new material in a manner of their liking. 

Only a suggestion...

Regards

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

22 minutes ago, metricmuse said:

Still nothing for Kallisti Wharf? Why can't we get street mobs and some mission content, even if it's just radios, in that beautiful zone?

I'm one of the Closed Beta/Closed Alpha testers.  It's being worked on.  There's things being developed for Kallisti Wharf and more coming I imagine, but not enough mature enough to advance to Open Beta.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

3 hours ago, metricmuse said:

Why can't we get street mobs and some mission content, even if it's just radios, in that beautiful zone?

Possible answer; They want to release a whole swathe of content, not a grain of content.

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

So to start: the Labyrinth of Fog Raid zone is extremely cool, but players complain about it not being easy/solo-friendly/casual enough when the closest analogue to The Labyrinth would be Hamidon in The Hive: it literally has LFG League queue support in order to facilitate more than 8 players at once.  This new content is to have something else "at endgame" that is fun and profitable for well-built characters: so the playerbase can do things like Advanced Mode TFs and Labyrinth runs instead of sitting in AE farms.  This new content is not for you to succeed at with 3 friends and half-assed builds.  I thought the description in the patch notes was very clear, but I guess it wasn't.

I'll reiterate my thoughts about testing content like this: I'm excited to get big leagues for it on Live, but I don't expect any reasonable way to test it on Open Beta at the scale that it was designed for.  Trying to get enough players together to test just this, in my timezone, just won't be possible. 

• Like 2

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Shin Magmus said:

So to start: the Labyrinth of Fog Raid zone is extremely cool, but players complain about it not being easy/solo-friendly/casual enough when the closest analogue to The Labyrinth would be Hamidon in The Hive: it literally has LFG League queue support in order to facilitate more than 8 players at once.  This new content is to have something else "at endgame" that is fun and profitable for well-built characters: so the playerbase can do things like Advanced Mode TFs and Labyrinth runs instead of sitting in AE farms.  This new content is not for you to succeed at with 3 friends and half-assed builds.  I thought the description in the patch notes was very clear, but I guess it wasn't.

I'll reiterate my thoughts about testing content like this: I'm excited to get big leagues for it on Live, but I don't expect any reasonable way to test it on Open Beta at the scale that it was designed for.  Trying to get enough players together to test just this, in my timezone, just won't be possible. 

I definitely get what you are saying but the devs themselves said in the patch notes it could be braved by determined solo players and I just don't see how that is supposed to be possible, I haven't seen a single person who could as my above post mentions, even my best builds couldn't stand on their own for more than a minute and those are builds which tackle hard mode end game content with 0 issue and can solo basically anything, only way you could "solo" this is by using stealth to get around everywhere not attacking anything and even then there are mob groups in the labyrinth that just ignore stealth completely.

• Labyrinth of Fog is an extremely vast (40+ floors) mission-style zone filled with Level 54+1 enemies to battle for increased rewards.
    • It is intended this zone be tackled with a Team or League, but can be braved by determined solo players!
Edited by burneden
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, burneden said:

determined solo players

They can explore fairly easy if they have stealth, though recognizing which mobs have extra perception helps.   To really make any sort of progress in beating up mobs, teams recommended.

Think of it like going for the exploration badges in The Hive.

• Like 1

• Game Master
8 minutes ago, burneden said:

I definitely get what you are saying but the devs themselves said in the patch notes it could be braved by determined solo players and I just don't see how that is supposed to be possible

I don't think the intent is for soloists to be able to wipe out all the big spawns and the Mino solo.  But a soloist CAN explore it with sufficient stealth, speed, and sneakiness.  Timing also matters a lot.  If you are solo and the only person there, you are going to have a hard time, especially if you have no level shifts.  But if there is also a team or league in the zone at the same time taking down groups the soloist will also benefit from the level shifts earned by the group.  And that makes it possible to explore a little safer and perhaps to take down some groups solo.

As the NPCs are grouped by color, you can also somewhat tailor what enemies you face to go up against things you are strong against and avoid things your character finds difficult.

(said by me as a player, not as any official HC statement)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, GM_GooglyMoogly said:

I don't think the intent is for soloists to be able to wipe out all the big spawns and the Mino solo.  But a soloist CAN explore it with sufficient stealth, speed, and sneakiness.  Timing also matters a lot.  If you are solo and the only person there, you are going to have a hard time, especially if you have no level shifts.  But if there is also a team or league in the zone at the same time taking down groups the soloist will also benefit from the level shifts earned by the group.  And that makes it possible to explore a little safer and perhaps to take down some groups solo.

As the NPCs are grouped by color, you can also somewhat tailor what enemies you face to go up against things you are strong against and avoid things your character finds difficult.

Even with level shift being at 10 people were still dying left and right, its also really not like hami because hami is basically a league going against a bunch of giant monsters to get to a monstrosity, the mobs in the labryinth are by and large regular mobs with one monster the minotaur hunting people, Ive spent hours in there trying to kill one group solo, its just not really possible, with 2 people we could kill a group but it was only 5 minutes or so before we were on the floor and these aren't half assed builds, they're full T4 incarns with sets, as I said before I didn't see anyone else in there who could solo reasonably, it always took a team to do anything except wander and I don't personally consider wandering making 0 attempt at contribution to the effort to be soloing but that's a matter of opinion

Only way we were getting to 10 level shift was by people using beta buffs to kill mobs instantly and even those guys were dying occasionallly

Also the conning for mobs aren't correct at the moment so the conning is not very useful though they are trying to fix that, cobalt mentioned it in FF for the Labyrinth.

Edited by burneden

2 hours ago, GM_GooglyMoogly said:

You know, reading this made me realize that I never checked out if the minotaur was somehow immune to taunt or able to insta-gib phantom army. Thanks for the testing idea, Googly!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Jacke said:

I'm one of the Closed Beta/Closed Alpha testers.  It's being worked on.  There's things being developed for Kallisti Wharf and more coming I imagine, but not enough mature enough to advance to Open Beta.

That's great to hear!

9 hours ago, Ruin Mage said:

Possible answer; They want to release a whole swathe of content, not a grain of content.

I'd be ecstatic to receive a swathe of content there but I'd have been more than happy to have gotten high level street mobs there which should have happened years ago rather than it just sitting empty.

2 hours ago, ShimmerDoll said:

I want it to be solo friendly. I never see anyone in the hours I play, but generally, I play solo/duo anyway.  I'm not taking stealth on any builds.

I would as well, I mean I don't mind it being non solo friendly, like I don't expect to be able to take MSR or Hami solo though this environment is not the same as those two,  but I'd rather it be stated that way rather than them wording it as if it were possible when it really isn't, it says it can be braved which is different than saying It can be explored solo, not even having the capacity to take 1 mob group down from any person Ive seen even with bougie builds really puts it in doubt. 

On 7/7/2024 at 11:57 AM, arcane said:

The complete lack of power changes and revamps is kind of disappointing.

The new powerset looks incredible though.

I'm actually glad they are taking more time for some of the changes. It was needed.