Tarikoss Strike Force

So, I've never hosted a Strike or Task Force, so I thought I'd start the Tarikoss one tonight.  Never having tried it before, I started it out on my own.  My character is L15, which is the minimum for this SF.

However, it was not possible to even try, not because I was outnumbered badly (which was what I expected), but because ALL the enemies were L20, +5 to my character despite my difficulty being set to -1.  It seemed strange, so I thought I'd come here and see if this was normal.

If it is... why would they open up the SF to L15 characters if the missions are a minimum of L20?

3 hours ago, Ultimo said:

So, I've never hosted a Strike or Task Force, so I thought I'd start the Tarikoss one tonight.  Never having tried it before, I started it out on my own.  My character is L15, which is the minimum for this SF.

However, it was not possible to even try, not because I was outnumbered badly (which was what I expected), but because ALL the enemies were L20, +5 to my character despite my difficulty being set to -1.  It seemed strange, so I thought I'd come here and see if this was normal.

If it is... why would they open up the SF to L15 characters if the missions are a minimum of L20?

it is a scaling TF like all the others.  i never run TF/SF at lower levels, but they do run easily down through their range.  not sure on this one what happened.

While I don't recommend trying to solo Tarikoss at level 15, there is "one dumb trick" that can be exploited in the final mission: Infernal will fight Bat'Zul for you.

9 hours ago, Ultimo said:

(1) To ALLOW characters as low as 15 to join a higher level team running this.    If you think about it for a sec, there has to be some range or it would be virtually impossible to form a team (at least without resorting to everyone being much higher level, exemping down) if everyone had to be exactly 20.  True, they could have made signature task forces spawn at the same level as the team lead like non-signature TFs but this thing was decided way back on Live.  It's not a HC invention.

(2) Originally, most TFs had a minimum team size.  Tarikoss needed 4 to start.  Since things became so ridiculously overpowered and it became much more commonly possible to solo task forces, this restriction was lifted.  That's why you can start then solo now.    Combine (1) and (2) and yeah, you can get in trouble.   It's been said before but this is a 20 year old game.  There are not all the same guard rails and hand-holds you might expect of a more modern game.  Just the way it is.

Edited by ZemX

Ok, so it's not bugged.  I thought because I was L15, the enemies would scale to my level and also be L15.  I didn't think they would all be max level.  Seems strange then, that people broadcast for teams and say "Suchandsuch TF, +3, yadda yadda" if you can't actually change the level.

One of these days, just maybe....a TF/SF will scale to the level of the team lead, without respect to level range. 
Level 50, want to do a posi? I present you a level 50 Dr. Vahzilok to fight. Or, a level 50 simulacrom, depending on which posi you do. 

Want to do a synapse? Of course not - but if you're motivated by some sinister force to do it anyway, do it at level 50 and use judgement on those level 50 gears before they run away! 

I can dream about it, right? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ultimo said:

Ok, so it's not bugged.  I thought because I was L15, the enemies would scale to my level and also be L15.  I didn't think they would all be max level.  Seems strange then, that people broadcast for teams and say "Suchandsuch TF, +3, yadda yadda" if you can't actually change the level.

You can change the level though. A +3 would simply be the max level its set to, so 20 in this instance plus 3. Level 23 mobs.

18 minutes ago, Ukase said:

One of these days, just maybe....a TF/SF will scale to the level of the team lead, without respect to level range. 
Level 50, want to do a posi? I present you a level 50 Dr. Vahzilok to fight. Or, a level 50 simulacrom, depending on which posi you do. 

Want to do a synapse? Of course not - but if you're motivated by some sinister force to do it anyway, do it at level 50 and use judgement on those level 50 gears before they run away! 

I can dream about it, right? 

That would require them to rework all the existing lower level enemy types. Give them more abilities, so they're not just sitting there spamming level 1 powers in a level 50 tf 😞 .

Edited by Sevensins

5 minutes ago, Sevensins said:

That would require them to rework all the existing lower level enemy types. Give them more abilities, so they're not just sitting there spamming level 1 powers in a level 50 tf

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Or something undesirable. Not that I expect a team of competent coders to raise their hands and scream out "Me! I'll do it!". 
Trust me when I tell you this: if it existed, people would like it. They may not like it at level 20 when they want to do a tf and the team lead is 50 and they get slammed because their level 20 build is insufficient vs level 50 mobs, but when they're level 50, they'll love it. 

At least, I think they will. Unless those level 50 powers for clockwork really suck - like that thing paladin does when he drains your endurance. Literally, it sucks. 

9 minutes ago, Ukase said:

You say that as if it's a bad thing. Or something undesirable. Not that I expect a team of competent coders to raise their hands and scream out "Me! I'll do it!". 
Trust me when I tell you this: if it existed, people would like it. They may not like it at level 20 when they want to do a tf and the team lead is 50 and they get slammed because their level 20 build is insufficient vs level 50 mobs, but when they're level 50, they'll love it. 

At least, I think they will. Unless those level 50 powers for clockwork really suck - like that thing paladin does when he drains your endurance. Literally, it sucks. 

Thats not what I'm infering at all. Moreso that it'll likely never happen, because this is a volunteer project, and probably a lot of work.

16 hours ago, Ukase said:

They may not like it at level 20 when they want to do a tf and the team lead is 50 and they get slammed because their level 20 build is insufficient vs level 50 mobs, but when they're level 50, they'll love it. 

I mostly play my 50s and I'd hate it.  Mid level TFs right now are the best because nobody is walking around with all their Incarnate powers obliterating every spawn with a sideways glance like any other level 50 team does.  Bleh.

Scaling down from 50 still ends up leaving the Exemplar at a sizeable advantage just for having powers up to five levels over the TF max, all their slots, and potentially all or most of their IO set bonuses vs. someone who is within the level range of the TF naturally.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

John Lydgate

7 minutes ago, Ukase said:

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”

John Lydgate

Paste without formatting! 😆