The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

For 13th & 14th generation CPU, if you are buying new?  AVOID At all costs.

Aside from other issues, there is a microcode issue that gradually degrades the stability of the CPU because it's causing a state where the CPU is essentially running in a badly/uncontrollable power stat that gradually burns the chip out.

If you are ALREADY running one, YOU ARE ON BORROWED TIME!

Because the device is ALREADY affected (to a greater or lesser degree).  And the eventual microcode update WILL NOT "fix" it.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I'd say this could be a company killer, except for the fact that another tech hardware company, Dell, survived not only the long-term faulty capacitor design of computers in the mid-2000s, but the revelation that there'd been a deliberate cover-up with continued production using the faulty materials in millions of products.   

7 hours ago, Techwright said:

I'd say this could be a company killer, except for the fact that another tech hardware company, Dell, survived not only the long-term faulty capacitor design of computers in the mid-2000s, but the revelation that there'd been a deliberate cover-up with continued production using the faulty materials in millions of products.   

Intel is a bit too large and diversified to kill off anywhere near that easy.

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

Intel is a bit too large and diversified to kill off anywhere near that easy.

Well, true, but if the overall market tilts to AMD for a stretch, it's billions out of Intel's pocket. One or the other has been "better" in any given stretch, as you know if you've been around a while, and sometimes it's a matter of "worser."

Add in that ARM chips are starting to muscle in to the larger "computer" market and it's not a good time for Intel to have a major CPU flaw, llike the 2+2=5 Pentium.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

4 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Well, true, but if the overall market tilts to AMD for a stretch, it's billions out of Intel's pocket. One or the other has been "better" in any given stretch, as you know if you've been around a while, and sometimes it's a matter of "worser."

Add in that ARM chips are starting to muscle in to the larger "computer" market and it's not a good time for Intel to have a major CPU flaw, llike the 2+2=5 Pentium.

For general computing, I have ZERO (less actually) use for ARM.

Sure, it's useful for some gimmick applications.

But, as of right now, if I'm not writing the software myself, I need  x86 virtualized, and a whole host of software, etc, etc.

Seems like a great way to sell people more stuff they don't need.

And software licensing gets expensive.

yeah, friend of mine who got a 14900k very early on, seems to have dodged this bullet. He also adjusted his voltages manually in bios and lowered them across the board after his experience with the 12900k. lost no performance, chip ran cooler. He also runs them with hyperthreading disabled.

15 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

For general computing, I have ZERO (less actually) use for ARM.

I in no way disagree, but every time I turn around someone is going on and on about running ______ on an ARM system, and complaining because the x86 emulation isn't perfect, and so forth.

I think it's more significant than the hoopla about RISC a few years back, or even x86 emulation on Mac and Linux, because things are moving relentlessly to mobile devices, and I deal every day with people stomping their foot and complaining because apps like InDesign don't run on their iPad. (That the ideas is somewhere between flawed and absurd... well, never mind.)

So yes, ARM is muscling in, for good, bad or indifferent, and it's still a bad time to give the movement fuel by having critical flaws in a CPU lineup.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

6 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

I think it's more significant than the hoopla about RISC a few years back, or even x86 emulation on Mac and Linux, because things are moving relentlessly to mobile devices, and I deal every day with people stomping their foot and complaining because apps like InDesign don't run on their iPad. (That the ideas is somewhere between flawed and absurd... well, never mind.)

Forgive me, buthav ALMOST as much use for a Chip from Cupertino as I do  DIY orchiexctomy with a taffy puller.....

I suppose the rule of thumb is never adopt new technology or new versions of CPUs etc.

Allow enough time to pass then see what the picture is with reliability.

For these Intel CPUs I think Intel will do something that allows the CPU to live a little longer notably to beyond the warranty claim window letting the CPU die then instead of inside the window. The policy of all these companies is "just buy another" as long it is you instead of them being screwed out of money.

I like ARM and RISC CPUs as a hobby but there is no getting away from x86 architectures for anything serious that requires a lower risk. These two architectures take a long time to get mainlined and their manufacturers make very little effort with software relying on kernels that are years out of date.

Edited by Digirium

I kinda wondered the level of severity of things when Debaur went over the whole flexing thing and creation of their frame.

• Banjo 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)