How do I actually get the sky to show?

PeterDutcher

I struggled with this last night. I have seen/used a little "room section" tool wherein you can click on/off certain parts of the floor ceiling (you can see it in the lower right of this gif: https://i.imgur.com/OitEvNV.mp4), but I could not find that tool to save my life last night. What I ended up doing was clicking a ceiling tile and while keeping the mouse button depressed, push "up" (forward) and release. That seemed to raise the ceiling to the point where I could see the sky. I was doing it in a 12x12 room though so I gave up after about 20 tiles and decided to tackle the rest later.

If you just want to see the open sky from within your base, set the ceiling height to maximum and under the high ceilings style, there is an option for Open Sky.

Where does one set the ceiling height? Is it within that "room section" tool, or somewhere else?

If you just want to see the open sky from within your base, set the ceiling height to maximum and under the high ceilings style, there is an option for Open Sky.

I swear I did not have that option until today, lol. I cycled yesterday through ever ceiling option.

I am getting old.

• Like 1

Where does one set the ceiling height? Is it within that "room section" tool, or somewhere else?

This is in the UI that lets you click to set floor and ceiling heights and also to fill it floor to ceiling.  IIRC you can click Current Room and then Object above the menu buttons and the UI part you want  is to the right.  It looks like this;

180?cb=20071019161658

Just make sure all the ceiling ones are not filled in by clicking on them, then setting your high ceiling texture to Open Sky

Thanks, ShardWarrior! I stumbled upon that Room Section UI a few times when I first built my base over the weekend. But when I actually needed it on Wednesday night, I could not remember how I got it to pop up and all my efforts to find it were futile.

If you want to build out of the bunker so to speak you need to get your base entrance portal above the roof using clipping mode, the trick to outdoor bases is your building on the roof of the old base area, which basically becomes a basement area.

Ive been to a great many highly detailed city scape bases that did not know this trick and effectively wasted all their energy because a roof that looks like open sky is still roof.

Meanwhile on Midnight Island we have a skyship high in the sky we can fly up to and party on. When its polished and done Ill be sure to put it on the passcode thread for people to see. Until then base builders, reach for the sky!

If you want to build out of the bunker so to speak you need to get your base entrance portal above the roof using clipping mode, the trick to outdoor bases is your building on the roof of the old base area, which basically becomes a basement area.

Ive been to a great many highly detailed city scape bases that did not know this trick and effectively wasted all their energy because a roof that looks like open sky is still roof.

Meanwhile on Midnight Island we have a skyship high in the sky we can fly up to and party on. When its polished and done Ill be sure to put it on the passcode thread for people to see. Until then base builders, reach for the sky!

Remember that turning on/off base edit mode will move you back to the original entrance room- so it's possible to screw yourself up, since once you're out of Edit mode you can't get back to the outside section of the base- and that includes your base entrance portal if you've moved it. Have a flight power, and set up a teleport link from the entrance room to your outside sections early if you're gonna build outside.

Remember that turning on/off base edit mode will move you back to the original entrance room- so it's possible to screw yourself up, since once you're out of Edit mode you can't get back to the outside section of the base- and that includes your base entrance portal if you've moved it. Have a flight power, and set up a teleport link from the entrance room to your outside sections early if you're gonna build outside.

Typing /stuck will move you to the entrance portal, regardless of where you've placed it. :)