Auction house - Sale Bug or Display Bug

Caulderone

My friend asked me to post this for him, since I can host the image.

g52pq9i.jpg

Tanker ATO.  He bid on one either Thursday (7/11/2019) or Friday (7/12/2019).  The bid was for over 5 million.

Since then, on 7/14, it shows a sale for 1,111.  How is that possible?  Not sure what the bug is.

the AH is funny like that. Several factors going on.

first, you have to understand that the AH handles thousands of transactions at any given time, so sometimes, it bogs down.

second, the price history isn't reflective of the most recent sales per se. it's a mix of sales and bids. and there are loopholes. For example, I'm looking for an IO so I do a search. But since I know I can't afford it yet, I put a "placeholder" bid for 1,000 inf. Regardless if the item is worth 10k or 10 mil, my 1k bid still has a chance of showing up in the history.

This works the other way as well. Say I'm selling a certain IO that's worth 1 mil. I can put 2 mil as my asking price and it will reflect in the history as well. It didn't (and probably wouldn't) sell for 2 mil, but it still shows up. So people selling their wares worth 1 mil. can put 10 mil on the asking price. there's a slight chance it will get sold; but what it does is, by showing up in the history, it psychologises people to think that this item is worth this much.

So as a rule, don't pay too close attention to the history. Try to find out how much something is worth through other ways: i.e. common salvage is worth around 300-600, uncommon 8-1200, rare goes for 500,000 almost consistently. ATOs are around 6-10, purples much more. And trust your gut. it takes roughly 750k to craft rare (and some uncommon) IOs, so 1 mill for each is a fairly decent price with profit. Some IOs have higher demand because of their abilities (like Panacea, Numina's Conv, etc.) so they tend to fetch a premium price.

Finally, be a little patient. sometimes it takes the system some time to fill your purchase order for your particular bid. Don't raise your bid just because it's taking too long.

cheers.