Market Bug: Different Items are sharing sales history.

Adeon Hawkwood

So some items in the market appear to be sharing a sales history with other unrelated items. A certain amount of research was done in another thread in the market forum:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,3754.15.html

Specifically these posts:

As I mentioned, it's not just this IO. Here is what I am currently seeing on the one you mentioned (top), as well as a couple of others that I've noted over the past couple of weeks. I feel like I have seen it on maybe one or two others, but these are the only two I can recall.

I do find it strange that the histories for the Assassin's Mark and the Xenon Exposure are the same, but that could just be a coincidence. I sold that Trap of the Hunter for 2M and I had another sale of the same IO for 1.5M, but they were a day or two ago and don't show up in the current history.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3754.0;attach=3236;image

Now we're cooking!  I too see that Xenon Exposure (Damage) at level 50 seems to share history with Assassin's Mark: Recharge/Chance to Recharge Build Up which is only available as an attuned.  I even bought and sold a few Xenon to double check and the histories of both reflect the sales of each.  Great that someone found the exact scenario going on with the Stalker ATO, tyvm AboveTheChemist.

The Trap of the Hunter scenario could be similar?  The sales history (for Immobilize/Accuracy) is consistent across all the levels it is available (20-50) and is the same as what is displayed for the attuned version, so far so good.  Some going for 780, 1050 or 1200 while others go for 1,000,000 is fishy-ish too.  Do you have outstanding bids that were higher than these winning bids as I mentioned in the Stalker ATO scenario, AboveTheChemist? I'll poke around and see if I can find another SO with identical listings to the Trap of the Hunter.

Wonder if we can report this bug with the Homecoming devs and get it fixed without breaking anything?

Thanks again!

Edit: Did a quick once over of all level 50 Science SOs, putting up a 1 inf bid and hitting FIND as an attempt at making sure they were somewhat accurate histories.  So far the only other suspicious entry I've seen is "transmatrix bipedal amplifier (run) 50" has history with 4 listings of 2 million and one listing of 1.75 million with no bids and one available, that is probably (?) linked to some other item I would guess?  Will look at some more later, it's IRL fireworks time.

• Like 1

Defender Smash!

Went through and checked all "Normal Enhancements" one by one by Origin, including Training.  Also checked all "Special Enhancements" by checking those listed under Accuracy, Damage and Endurance Reduction which I believe covers all Hamidon and Titan enhancement varieties.  For ease of sorting I had the filter set for levels 50 to 50 while doing this, hopefully that didn't eliminate anything?  I still saw things like the Penelope Yin store listed so, fingers crossed.  For each category (eg: Enhance Accuracy) I would bid 1 inf on each of the 3 available enhancements (eg: Magic->Crowley's Ring, Insight of Grey and Visor) then hit the Find button a few time to help make sure the displayed results were accurate.  I took screenshots of anything suspicious and will transcribe them below.

The nature of the market and this bug means these are all eyeballed guesses without doing more intense testing.  I'll list the ones that seem very likely first with a few that I don't really think are this bug at the end.

I actually tested this one in the sense I had outstanding bids higher than 20,000

Basilisk's Gaze: Accuracy/Endurance Reduction/Recharge/Hold

This could be legit, the bid history are all 2 days old, only suspicious for the fact people are bidding 2 million on a tech/sci DO!

Transmatrix Bipedal Amplifier (Run) 50

A Natural/Magic DO with none listed and nobody bidding, history all from "today."

Nectanebo's Work (Endurance Modification) 50

A Mutation/Science DO again with zero bids and available going for ~2 million and all from "today."

Molecular Bonding Resistance Boost (Resist Damage) 50

This has GOT to be suspicious!  You can't even sell common Sleep IO's, like, at all but this SO is going for 10's of millions all "today?"

Evolution: Neural Paralysis (Sleep) 50

How about Training enhancements going for millions!

These were all sales from, "today."

Training: Damage 50

Training: Fear Duration 50

Training: Jumping 50

These few are questionable but I'll list them just in case.

Dam/Mez Hami's, this could just be normal market fluctuation but thought I'd list it.

Gluon Exposure (Dam Mez) 50

Another Hami that could just be fluctuating wildly, all "today."

Anti Proton Exposure (End/Def Debuff/ToHit Debuff) 50

Third Hami, same deal but sales were spread with 3 today and 2 yesterday.

Electron Exposure (End/Res) 50

Natural Recharge SO, could just be regular shenanigans.

Military Speed (Recharge) 50

Some passing thoughts. 

There doesn't seem to be any obvious pattern, at first with the two damage SOs showing signs I had some hope but then I didn't see a single issue with any Technology SOs? 

There isn't a single SO or DO for sale that I could buy for 1 inf. =)

The searching goes a little quicker than you might think since DO's share origins.

Since I didn't find an obvious partner to the Basilisk's Gaze IO I'm wondering if it isn't just linked IOs and SOs but possibly recipes or something else like inspirations etc?

I will try to do a pass on the IO side of the equation when I get some time to help narrow down the candidates.

I came here to post the Basilisk's Gaze IO, which I discovered yesterday. Nothing new to add to what was already posted, other than another snapshot of its history.

bas_gaze.png.80783a0dcf2885cf1207cd10f02c06fe.png

Since I didn't find an obvious partner to the Basilisk's Gaze IO I'm wondering if it isn't just linked IOs and SOs but possibly recipes or something else like inspirations etc?

I'm pretty sure at least some recipes are also affected. I recall seeing a purple recipe with a similar sales history (a few really low sales some normal sales). I forget exactly which one it was but it was in one of the mez sets. I'll try and remember to check later.

Defender Smash!

Thank you for all the help duders, it's appreciated.

I guess the game has gone to the americans, it is literally duping rares

I perma haten this bug

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I stumbled across another (attached) this weekend that might be a result of this bug.

io_history1.png.de5a1697b72c85567e900ba23b548b9a.png

• 2 weeks later

Adding a few more I found. The Sovereign Right IO is a repeat but I noticed the recipe seemed bugged too so I wanted to show the IO from the same time in case there was any question if the IO and recipe might be linked.

sov_right2.png.270d4653520ef2d23efc2980cc84d76b.png

sov_right2_recipe.png.5334972153d1d15245185e1bf2e9de60.png

det.png.db8ddfcfcb65d433a9b15d5b8c21aa60.png

• 2 weeks later

Found an example posted in another thread:

spacer.png

Edited by AboveTheChemist

hmm....  Item history spreading across items could explain the bug I came across.

bid.png.e4804040c461702ebef46d3ce4cb760e.png

I had a bid of 650,000 in for a week, yet this item sold for 1,000 just today.  That shouldn't be possible.

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

• 4 weeks later

I was about to start a thread for this, but I'm glad to see it's been brought up before, but sadly buried on page 8 now.

I took 2 screenshots to show.  I don't see them above so I'll still share:

First, here's Defender's Bastion A/D/E

londih6.png

This was the result regardless of how many times I refreshed.

Next is an interesting case that would return 2 different sets of results for Sentinal's Ward.  1 result set looked reasonable (7Mish sales, not included due to my laziness).  The other is below:

9H08XTR.png

I could refresh this with "find" and the result would rotate from empty (no results), this result of 275k and 500k and the "right" one (right in parenthesis because I don't know that it's right).

Small editorial time - if I won a contest to be dev king for a day, this is what I'd have fixed.  Users are getting bad, unreliable data.  Data that's used to make decisions with in-game currency.  This needs to be 100% right, 100% of the time.

Please please please move up the priority list.

Here's a popular recipe:

KiXrfeD.png

What do I, the new user with no historical knowledge of high demand items and their price, do here?  List it for 3,000, list it for 3,001?  I, the new user with no historical knowledge of high demand items and their price, looks at this and thinks that 3,000 is the usual price and someone spent 751,003 in a raging bout of "buy it now".  

Even I, the grizzled vet who can look at a recipe and at least put it in a bucket for a price range, am not certain what to make of this.  This is what happens when there's no trust in the data presented.

I appreciate the interactivity of devs here, if it's not too much trouble l'd love to see a GM comment on where this lies on their priority queue.  

Thanks for bumping this, it motivated me to search through and prep some other examples that have been languishing in my screenshots folder. I'm also re-posting an image from the other thread that used to show up in the OP but appears broken now. I found a couple of other less-obvious examples but I couldn't be sure it wasn't just a case of someone bidding with one too many zeroes, so I didn't include them.

I agree with your sentiments, Hedgefund. This bug certainly cost me a decent amount of influence back before I had some market experience under my belt, and it would be nice to see it fixed because it still vexes me on occasion.

ex1.png

ex2.png

ex3.png

ex4.png

ex5.png

I don't know if this helps debugging (which I'm sure is happening fervently) this or not, but I just noticed that it looks like it's possible that records for an item I just purchased (Superior Frozen Blast proc) got mixed into what I was searching for (Call to Arms A/D/R)

P1QtsQI.png

I don't know for certain those 23M records are from what I bought, it just struck me as very coincidental.

Just so you all are aware... this is a visual / memory glitch as far as I know and not an actual records confusion glitch or unfair pricing for item.

And it happens everywhere in the AH. Enhancements, Salvage, Inspirations, Recipes all get this bug and the other bug that claims there is no history for the item in question.

Just click off of the bugged visual then back on it a few times to reset it and get the correct visual listing.

But hey, if anyone can actually abuse this glitch to sell worthless items for super high values or buy premier stuff for pennies by all means report it.

You can friend add me at the global handle Sweet Torment

I created Indomitable's Community Teleport Hub usage: /macro TP enterbasefrompasscode TOUR-5307

All 50+3 unless otherwise specified:

Indomitable: Sweet Torment, Firesoul, Rikti Relocators Inc

Excelsior: Silent as a Lamb, Spinner of Lives, Project ReNew, Mire Monstrosity, Mad Madam Maud (48), Tiki Tour Guide (50+0)

13 hours ago, Kigo said:

Just so you all are aware... this is a visual / memory glitch as far as I know and not an actual records confusion glitch or unfair pricing for item.

And it happens everywhere in the AH. Enhancements, Salvage, Inspirations, Recipes all get this bug and the other bug that claims there is no history for the item in question.

Just click off of the bugged visual then back on it a few times to reset it and get the correct visual listing.

But hey, if anyone can actually abuse this glitch to sell worthless items for super high values or buy premier stuff for pennies by all means report it.

This is incorrect. I've encountered this bug many, many times over the past few months and it's not a visual glitch. There is a separate bug that will sometimes result in two completely different listings alternately appearing for items, but this is not that glitch. The bug addressed in this thread cannot be remedied by clicking off and back on a few times. While I cannot say for certain that it is caused by a mixup of records, it appears that way and that's why I have continued to post examples as I find them. And I'm aware that it happens everywhere. I've posted examples from recipes and enhancements because that is what I spend 95% of my time on the AH buying and selling. I don't deal with salvage or inspirations very often so I haven't encountered many, if any, examples of same.

I don't think this particular bug can be abused in the way you describe, because I think the mechanics behind the trading of these items works the same as it does for all other AH items. It's just that the last 5 auctions is reporting bad data for these items, and if anything I think that might be causing some people to lose money in the form of auction fees because they are lead to believe an item is trading for more money than it actually is.

• 2 weeks later

We can dispel the notion that this doesn't have real consequences.

Here's a sale for me today:

d1TGU80.png

Yay that I was the beneficiary of this, but somebody out there wasted 8 figures worth of inf.  Now, I can't say with certainty that this wasn't the usual extra digit overbid, but it sure does look suspiciously like someone saw this list and thought ~15M was the going rate.

Clicking "find" would toggle this list and what looks like a real list (1M-1.5M range) for this item.

Edited by Hedgefund

12 hours ago, Hedgefund said:

We can dispel the notion that this doesn't have real consequences.

Here's a sale for me today:

Has anyone in this thread insinuated that there aren't consequences to these bugs? At any rate, just to be clear, I think that this example, and another that you posted previously, are examples of a different bug than what I have been posting. In all the examples I have posted, no amount of clicking "Find" would cause the list to change. Perhaps they are related bugs, and I have no issue with both cases being documented here. I just wanted to make clear that I think there is a distinction between the two bugs:

The "Mixed Price" Bug: Prices for Item B are mixed in with otherwise reasonable prices for Item A when viewing the price list for Item A, and clicking "Find" does not change the list.

The "Dual Price List" Bug: Item A has two apparently completely different and otherwise legitimate looking (i.e. no mixed prices) price lists, with only one containing reasonable prices, that changes when the "Find" button is repeatedly clicked.

Both are insidious in their own way and I hope that they can both eventually be fixed.

On 9/21/2019 at 11:21 AM, Kigo said:

Ok, see below, a couple of people discuss how they take advantage of this bug:

image.png

image.png

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2019 at 10:01 AM, AboveTheChemist said:

Has anyone in this thread insinuated that there aren't consequences to these bugs? At any rate, just to be clear, I think that this example, and another that you posted previously, are examples of a different bug than what I have been posting. In all the examples I have posted, no amount of clicking "Find" would cause the list to change. Perhaps they are related bugs, and I have no issue with both cases being documented here. I just wanted to make clear that I think there is a distinction between the two bugs:

The "Mixed Price" Bug: Prices for Item B are mixed in with otherwise reasonable prices for Item A when viewing the price list for Item A, and clicking "Find" does not change the list.

The "Dual Price List" Bug: Item A has two apparently completely different and otherwise legitimate looking (i.e. no mixed prices) price lists, with only one containing reasonable prices, that changes when the "Find" button is repeatedly clicked.

Both are insidious in their own way and I hope that they can both eventually be fixed.

Yes.  Kigo, who you countered above, did.  Not sure why you're directing ire to me when it seems we're on the same side here.

@HedgefundNo ire intended, I think you perhaps read too much into my post. I asked the question out of curiosity, not anger. I didn't get that from Kigo's post initially but re-reading it a few times I can see the logical connection. Thanks for mentioning those posts from the "Some Market Observations" thread, as I think those are the first actual examples I've seen of this particular bug being exploited and having consequences other than the example I gave about personally losing market fees.

Even if the dev's can't fix this soon, it would be nice if they could maybe include a warning in the /gmotd or something letting people know that what they see in the last 5 history might be deceptive.

• Like 1

• 4 months later