The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

what kind of rp you want?

iynx

Not sure if this is what you intended, but

I prefer to avoid "cosmic level" topics, or "global disaster" stories and go with the more personal arcs.  In comics-terms, I got bored by galacticus attacks and engaged when it was just the x-men goofing off  picnicking and playing ball between missions.

I like drama, but not overwhelming gloom or angst.  I accent it with humor in a way that can be off-putting to those that like to keep it dark.  My favorite balance is closer to a good late-season episode of MASH- able to cover some somber topics and great character development, but with the drama punctuated by levity.

I'm not clear on the meaning of your question either, but

I like to put a bit of real history or science into my characters.  The origins don't matter, just pick the one I think ties best to what the background is on the character.  For me, and less so for other role-players, I always put as a detailed an origin story as I can fit into the Bio screen.  Haven't found a "crew" that I regularly team with, mostly solo or PUG's, but when role-play exists, I'd prefer to clear a room, chat a little in-character, and rinse and repeat.

Mostly however, I find myself joking OOC because, again, it's harder to get a good "role-play" with a PUG.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I'm mostly a dirty casual... I've just never really been in a position to do "serious" roleplay in an MMO. I never found a group I fit into quite that well.

It is fun for me for a character to have friends that they can chat with regularly, though, or can hop onto teams with. I'm just more comfortable actually *playing* the game with people I already know. I'll have an IC conversation with just about anyone who tries talking to one of my crew, but I have serious reservations about PUGing rather it's a roleplay-centric team or not.

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Not sure if this is what you intended, but

I prefer to avoid "cosmic level" topics, or "global disaster" stories and go with the more personal arcs.  In comics-terms, I got bored by galacticus attacks and engaged when it was just the x-men goofing off  picnicking and playing ball between missions.

I like drama, but not overwhelming gloom or angst.  I accent it with humor in a way that can be off-putting to those that like to keep it dark.  My favorite balance is closer to a good late-season episode of MASH- able to cover some somber topics and great character development, but with the drama punctuated by levity.

In that vein of the sense, I like my style of Superhero RP to mimic long-standing comic book runs. Give me a bunch of events with one-off villains, PUG groups, short AE events or text-based stories involving the "standard" crimefighting dramatics. Sometimes throw in a Galactus -- High Level threat. And Sometimes give me a social event or two.

GOD. I hate social events. I'll do em. I'll have fun and goof off with them. But ohhh my god. We are Superheroes. I want less BBQs and more crimefighting!

Generally speaking, for the moment I just want *any* kind of forum/thread RP. CoX is still recently reborn and, as one can tell simply by looking at this subforum, not much is popping off. If anybody wanted to start any topical/transient crisis/arc threads, I'd post in them. What we have so far are a lot of social threads, like the Bars/Hangouts and the Kallisti Apartments (which you should all definitely check out by the way >.>) but not a lot of the, as has been said already 'actual superpowering.'

That is sort of why I liked Final Fight back in the day. It was a setting which acted as a free excuse for villains to be villains and for heroes to be heroes and get into all sorts of zany chicanery.

I have an idea for a story for Kallisti the Friar that would be her doing superhero things but it would likely descend into some quite dark areas and I'm not sure if I should or even if I CAN do the story as it is forming in my head. Friar has had some bad things happen to her in the past, but so far apart from that one scene last week I haven't really been able to go into her story in depth and in some respects she is my 'favourite' Kallisti as I see more to her than the others. She's the toughest of them but its what made her that tough that makes her interesting. She doesn't control fire or ice or blast bolts of energy, she's got a stick and her skill...

As much as I love KG, she is fun but rather superficial :)

The Kallistiverse COH site:

https://kallistiverse.mardona.com/coh/

Mine is mostly chez nous, and revolves around the political complexities of the republic of Roman Amazons on New Colchis.  Not that this is unimpacted by the game - far from it. 

One current burning issue is whether a  Vanguard trainer ought to be tolerated in the Amazon Army base.  Heraclea believes that the Vanguard are villains no better than the Malta Group.  The Rikti strike her as honorable foes by comparison.  But the alternative is bringing in a man to fill the position from the Midnighters or Arachnos: obviously unacceptable.  Better to keep Vanguard out and just send everyone to Ms. Liberty.  Not everyone agrees, especially among the clandestine wing represented in Paragon City by Yamnaya. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Gonna level with you, OP: I've kind of taken it upon myself to be a professional NPC.  Most of the characters I make, assuming they're at least partially serious, already have stories to their names, and I figure people need another warm body on a team who knows what they're doing and can provide sick bants to make the Dr. Quaterfield go more smoothly over another person in the Pocket D waiting for someone to ask about their tragic backstory.  So I provide local color.

(But if the worst-case scenario happens and I do end up in someone else's plot line, hell, I'll write it myself.  Just a long-form story featuring everyone's characters.  Done it before, do it again.)

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

hi

what kind of rp you would like to play the most? what would be the theme, style, story and the way of playing preferred?

How about you OP?  What's your answer to this question?  Are we even answering your question?

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I don't get role playing in an MMO.  I mean I don't get what it seems to be, which is standing around and talking about kittens or passing around cookies. This is mostly what I've encountered and all that it consists of.  If that floats you boat cool but it's not for me. I understand that in the silver, bronze and to a lesser degree modern ages, super hero comics are soap operas. And there is a place for that in the comics and in this game but at some point shouldn't you go out and punch someone in the face?

Maybe I've just had a string of bad experiences.

Because there is a city in the Midwest that is continually threatened by a silver backed gorilla and is protected by a man who can run faster than the speed of light.

I don't get role playing in an MMO.  I mean I don't get what it seems to be, which is standing around and talking about kittens or passing around cookies. This is mostly what I've encountered and all that it consists of.  If that floats you boat cool but it's not for me. I understand that in the silver, bronze and to a lesser degree modern ages, super hero comics are soap operas. And there is a place for that in the comics and in this game but at some point shouldn't you go out and punch someone in the face?

Maybe I've just had a string of bad experiences.

I’m RP-lite.  I love to RP In Character during missions or in between a series of missions., but i am unlikely to just go to Pocket D or Atlas to just chat in character.  Just doesn't interest me

So, personally, I'm not big on Deep Drama plots in RP as I tend to find them hyper cliche, and typically so scripted that outside of a small number of key players, anyone else involved is really just a spectator. The flipside of the heavily scripted though is of course the fact that when a plot is developed there is an intention of some form of character growth coming out of it, you don't get much growth when someone unexpectedly comes along and is able to just solve the problem outright.

I tend to like casual RP teams, I enjoy idle IC banter, I enjoy playing my heroes when they're relaxing in their limited downtime. I like them making friends, I like them finding romance, and heartbreak. I like to explore what it is to try to be human when you're superhuman (or not human at all). I like to have a character just struck by the beauty of the sunrise over the ocean, the beauty and tragedy contained in the destruction in Boomtown and Faultline, the simple joy of skipping a stone across the lake in Perez Park...

In short. Life. I like to roleplay life.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

hi

what kind of rp you would like to play the most? what would be the theme, style, story and the way of playing preferred?

How about you OP?  What's your answer to this question?  Are we even answering your question?

i was genuinely interested how people roleplay and what ( and how ) people want to roleplay. yes, you all answered the question, thankyou for answers.

Onh-wardshh, my loyal mee-nions!

hi

i was genuinely interested how people roleplay and what ( and how ) people want to roleplay. yes, you all answered the question, thankyou for answers.

But you only answered half of mine...How would you answer the question?

I'd been thinking about this some more, and thought I'd break this apart into "methods" vs "styles" of roleplaying, as I usually see them.  Method involves how the medium affects play, whereas "style" involves the content (pg-13 drama, mature, erp, dark, comedy, romantic, adversarial).

Regarding methods, I've noticed:

- Forum Roleplay- I most liken to a collaborative-writing effort.  It's generally slow-paced, as you try to give time for people on different schedules to participate, but I find it's great fun- and a good thinking exercise, as you often get people moving in directions you don't expect or focusing on something you didn't expect them to focus on in your last posts.  It's a great challenge.

- Discord/Chat Roleplay- These tend to be much closer to in-game chat roleplay- faster pace of interaction, much smaller posts of text.  Unlike the game, you have no visual cues, so descriptive actions matter.  In a lot of ways, it's like the "chat with your characters standing there" roleplay someone mentioned earlier, just with the game client removed. 

I actually prefer THAT over the "chat with your characters standing there" because without the game client, you're freed to express your characters powers, stories, and experiences in so many different ways where the client would limit you.  New powers open up. New interactions.  Yes, you can do this in-game chat, but the visual cues in the game put another level of "suspension of disbelief" in the way that's gone if you're JUST dealing in chat.

-In-Game Social Roleplay-  I covered the text-only in-game chat above.  This is different in that you're trying to NOT have my character just stand there.  We're attempting to include emotes, navigation through the screen, and environmental cues to breathe some life into those 3d models.  You don't need to describe walking over to the bar if you just walk over to the bar, obviously.  You may wish to add text describing the mood/tone/style of the actions- particularly if the visual cues weren't that telling.

I'm SOO out of practice with this.  Once upon a time,  I had character-specific macros that would both execute an emote and provide some character-specific descriptor text.  Now I barely remember the emotes... or where to position a character for a specific "sit" emote to work with the furniture.  I tend to get so slow in the interaction as I'm trying to find HOW I want to interact that it gets a bit frustrating- like I'm a terrible actor.

Also, I've been told that to avoid RP griefers, many people avoid using the emotes and just stay in private chat- regardless of whether the topic is mature or better-left private.  Just emoting without visible text can be enough to draw the ire of RP griefers, so emoting goes away too.

I find this SO disappointing, as there's so much atmosphere that could be added to the game with small groups of public performances from the RP community.  It also limits the ability for other RP'ers to overhear and join in when it would be appropriate to do so...  I totally understand the reason- it's just disappointing.

-In-Mission "Quick" Roleplay-

These are simple acts of expression during lulls in the mission.  Lines you say in-character, emotes you may make without having to chain things together into full experiences, walking over to examine the body (before it fades away) and commenting on it, etc.  They're fun, flavorful elements, but I usually make sure that everyone wants them.  Many achievement groups just want to steamroll through a mission and these serve as a distraction.

-Curated Mission Roleplay-

Back in the day, this was a mix of regular mission fights being chained together by the team leader to create a story that's substituted.  They line up a fight against the council for Striga, but it's not for taking down the Maestro (as the mission says), but to free a capture hero.    This mixes in-game and in-mission quick roleplay with greater pauses in the play and longer stretches of self-expression.

I haven't experienced it, but I've heard that AE really let this develop even more- the team leader creates the arcs that he wants to use for that particular narrative, then plays along through the arcs with the players.  You get better control over the maps, pacing, and the timing at how they're strung along. 

Back during live, my RP tended to be isolated to forum RP stories and a loose group of individuals that tended to re-use their characters in various situations.  The thread I was on prominently was a Highschool themed setting with teens and teachers dealing with powers and hormonal teen angst and their uncontrolled super powered outbursts.  That is, some participants had only teacher characters, others only student characters and others like myself that had a teacher and student character that I RP'ed.

This was all before the My Hero Academia craze and somewhat inspired by the Sky High film.

I could see the format working as a discord chat RP as well.

I never was very good at in-game RP. I usually take time to come up with in character responses and I tend to like to make my responses meaningful and not just in-character and that takes a bit of thought to do.  What I mean by meaningful is something that progresses a narrative rather than a straight up "how would my character react" response because sometimes such responses are extremely terse and doesn't give much for others to engage with.

tl;dr version: forum RP, Highschool setting (although not much interested in it now but I wouldn't mind reviving my character for it), bad at all other RP.

I like when the world feels connected so I generally like to include other's plots even in passive mentions in roleplay. Since I don't have as much time to be in game, I really don't mind discord RP whether it's full scale RP or just a summary of what our characters did and how they interacted. 

On 7/22/2019 at 12:48 PM, chase said:

-In-Mission "Quick" Roleplay-

These are simple acts of expression during lulls in the mission.  Lines you say in-character, emotes you may make without having to chain things together into full experiences, walking over to examine the body (before it fades away) and commenting on it, etc.  They're fun, flavorful elements, but I usually make sure that everyone wants them.  Many achievement groups just want to steamroll through a mission and these serve as a distraction.

This reminds me that at some point I ought to do a guide to making banter binds.  This is my chief form of in-game roleplaying.  Since I play mostly on a desktop machine, I usually fill the numpad with these.  A typical one will insert itself into Local, though after level 35 I usually make a version of "I bet your momma's so proud" that goes to Group for the specific purpose of insertion into Romulus's "I am Nictus!" scene.  This started on my tankers, of course.  I wanted to include taunts in their taunting.  And Snappy Banter is a classic feature of superhero writing. 

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

1 hour ago, Heraclea said:

This reminds me that at some point I ought to do a guide to making banter binds. 

Oh! you just reminded me- I gotta find my backups!*

My merc mastermind:

I made a whole series of banter for my soldiers hotkey-tied to my numpad.   I used to have the solders heckle one another (and the mastermind) mid-battle or post-battle- some one-liners, some entire chains of dialogue.

Some of them are too 4th wall breaking to be considered RP, like when they chatter among themselves that their boss always gets reckless with them when their recharge timer's done, or arguing over who should "pull."

*and reroll my merc mastermind.

That's why I use the numpad.  It gives each character a repertoire of at least 10. 

You want to get super fancy, you set up rotating binds for banter. >.>

It's especially a good option for something like Taunt, put a system in place where are you move or use powers it constantly loads a new bind file that changes what you say when you use Taunt, so that you don't end up with a never ending stream of:
$target I've seen tougher marshmallows. (because that shit gets older than a box of stale peeps)

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

In mine, I had one "speak" key that would say whatever was queued up and then load the next data file, either the next line in that scenario or, when the scenario was over, skip to the next in that "list"

I had 3 keybinds that managed the lists.  Clicking one of them would set the "speak" key to the next scenario and send a message to me in chat (an error message, IIRC) with the name of the scenario I was on.   Each keybind managed about a dozen different scenarios based on theme (downtime, battle banter, and the soldiers attempting to flirt).    I just had to pick the right scenario and then hit the speak keybind through all the chatter and emotes.

So I'd be in pocket D, doing something with my soldiers over at the bar.  

• "Shut up guys. Here she comes. Don't blow it for me."
  • (turns to the approaching character)
  • "Umm.. Hi."
  • (the soldiers behind him making funny emotes, flexes, etc)
  • (they all jump to 'at ease' as the main speaker looks around nervously)
  • "Uh anyway... (back to the bad pickup line)"
  • (back to funny emotes)
  • (rinse repeat.  funny lame attempt at a pickup line screwed up by his squaddies).
  • (ends with /grief emote for main speaker, celebrate emotes for everyone else)

similarly, a trigger to hold up "9" scorecards ... except for one guy who gets his upside down (6)... as everyone tries to discreetly get his attention to change it.

At one point, I wanted to get them to do a Top Gun "you lost that loving feeling" homage, but it created such a wall of spam, I went back to the drawing board.   Then the game ended.

... oh, and there was one guy- one of the facemask guys- that never played along and just stood slighly separate from the rest at the bar doing gruff deadpan commentary on the others' antics.

Edited by chase

On 7/22/2019 at 7:04 PM, justicebeliever said:

But you only answered half of mine...How would you answer the question?

( didn't see notice of a mention, thus late answer )

-theme would be something horror / gothic / romatic.

-style would be serious, heavy rp with people putting effort to play their characters.

-way of playing would be mostly social interaction, being ic in pve locations and sg bases, added some ae missions and a lot of background information related to characters.

Onh-wardshh, my loyal mee-nions!