Suggestion: Single pistol power set

biostem

So I was playing my baby Thugs MM the other day, and it got me thinking that we need a pistol user who focuses more on careful, precise, and hard-hitting single pistol attacks, instead of the more trick/gimmicky attacks that dual pistols get.  The set would have 2 special traits - 1 is called "suppressed", (SUPP), which applies a minor movement speed debuff to the target.  The other is "armor piercing", (AP), which is a resistance debuff that can stack.  Here is a basic powerset for that sort of thing:

1. Quick draw - basic attack dealing lethal damage with a small chance to apply suppressed and armor piercing.

2. Steadied shot - a more damaging attack where you better stabilize your aim.  Deals more lethal damage and has a greater chance to apply "suppressed" and "armor piercing"

3. Covering fire - A cone lethal attack, high chance to apply suppressed & lower chance for AP

4. Ready position - a low damage attack that, if it hits, grants a self buff with bonuses to tohit, an end discount, and defense

5. Double-tap - Heavy lethal damage, very high chance to apply AP, refreshes any stacks of AP, small chance to grant SUPP

6. Blind-fire- You completely empty your entire magazine in the direction of your target.  Cone, minor lethal damage which always applies SUPP and refreshes any stacks of it on the target.  Has a small chance to apply a fear effect.

7. Headhunter - Positioning yourself at maximum range, you take your time to carefully aim and take a shot - long range snipe, high chance to apply AP, low chance to apply SUPP.  Small chance to immobilize the target.

8. Debilitating shot - A highly damaging shot that applies both AP and SUPP, but also has a moderate chance to immobilize or even hold the target.

9. Call for backup - You use your contacts to call in 2 SWAT officers/soldiers/mercs to briefly provide you with some covering fire, which deals heavy damage in a cone and makes enemies turn their focus away from you and onto said reinforcements.

I really like this biostem...Are you seeing this as an alternate set for Dual Pistols, that is that it's a Primary for Blasters/Corrupters and Secondary for Defenders?

And if so, it seems like the T9 power (summon pets) is out of alignment for those AT's, since none of them have a summon power...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I really like this biostem...Are you seeing this as an alternate set for Dual Pistols, that is that it's a Primary for Blasters/Corrupters and Secondary for Defenders?

And if so, it seems like the T9 power (summon pets) is out of alignment for those AT's, since none of them have a summon power...

I see it as its own powerset for those ATs.  Instead of summoning an actual pet, what if it summoned pseudopets, (like a voltaic sentinel), but also applied a placate effect.

I see it as its own powerset for those ATs.  Instead of summoning an actual pet, what if it summoned pseudopets, (like a voltaic sentinel), but also applied a placate effect.

Normally, the T9 is some kind of super blast power with an AoE effect.  Could be something like shooting that magic spot that causes an explosion like always happens in the action movies?  I dunno...you have a better gift for this than I do.

I still really like it

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Normally, the T9 is some kind of super blast power with an AoE effect.  Could be something like shooting that magic spot that causes an explosion like always happens in the action movies?  I dunno...you have a better gift for this than I do.

I still really like it

Well, imagine if you pulled out a radio/cell phone, 2 repelling lines dropped down out of nowhere, 2 spec ops guys zipped down, then unleashed a full auto burst on your target.  These soldiers could be untargetable, and simply run off when finished firing off their burst(s).  It'd basically be a "super attack", only visually different...

I still really like it

Well, imagine if you pulled out a radio/cell phone, 2 repelling lines dropped down out of nowhere, 2 spec ops guys zipped down, then unleashed a full auto burst on your target.  These soldiers could be untargetable, and simply run off when finished firing off their burst(s).  It'd basically be a "super attack", only visually different...

That would be something of a long activation time though wouldn't it?

This isn't a bad idea at all, but I was under the impression back in the day the reasoning they put so much gun-kata nonsense on pistols (which I do kinda like) was because otherwise it would have been sort of visually boring, "not dynamic" looking, which is how I found Auto Rifle the time I tried it.  I guess a few pistol spins before holstering or whatever might work for it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I still really like it

That would be something of a long activation time though wouldn't it?

This isn't a bad idea at all, but I was under the impression back in the day the reasoning they put so much gun-kata nonsense on pistols (which I do kinda like) was because otherwise it would have been sort of visually boring, "not dynamic" looking, which is how I found Auto Rifle the time I tried it.  I guess a few pistol spins before holstering or whatever might work for it.

Your point is taken.  I'm sure the animation or other factors could be tweaked, (like making it a location-based AoE that you can drop from afar, then going in to polish off any survivors while the mercs are attacking).  I don't necessarily see a downside to there being a no-nonsense powerset, however...

It seems to me a solution is to make your Call for Backup a t8 that creates the short-lived pets, and then make a t9 attack that is a decent attack on its own but intentionally underwhelming compared to other t9s.

And then you tie it together.  Performing the t9 while backup is out causes "X awesome extra effect."  Say it's called Full Offensive, it would mean they'd take your queue to unleash a Full Auto burst in time with you.  Or maybe they just Taunt whenever you activate your t9. So on and so forth.

Sadly, this set would require animation work no matter what. :/

I like this concept! It gives me a bit of an idea, too: why not a Pistol Assault powerset that uses a combination of this and street justice powers? Would be great for secret agent type characters and what not.

This is kind of the route I was  going with regard to the mastermind I mentioned in the OP - he's a "corrections officer" that is rehabilitating some small time crooks, (i.e. making them fight other criminals on his behalf, as hero work).  Still, once some of the powers were developed, they could easily be proliferated into other/new sets.

This is an awesome idea. Lot's of good ideas followed as well.

I really like the idea of having the option for shields.

If I may add my two cents to the pot:

T2 could be Pistol Whip (like the Arachnos T2, Pummel) +chance for KD/stun?

T3 Covering fire could be 4 shots in rapid succession (still cone in principle, but more in line with the pistol dynamic)

T5 Steadied shot

T8 Double-tap (add crit?)

T9 C4. You throw/slide a brick of C4 (or propane tank) and shoot it for an AoE nuke

It would be cool if you could have "silenced" sound effects when you choose gun skins with suppressors, but I'd be happy with just a better SFX and not the current .22 sounds.

I don't necessarily see a downside to there being a no-nonsense powerset, however...

I know some people found DP too flashy for it's own good by half - which, yeah, it's waaay flashy - but a no-nonsense would get pretty boring pretty quickly.  Imho, based on my experiences with AR.  I know one thing suggested for DP would be the option to choose between flashy and no-nonsense animations.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

What's the Theme of the single pistol set?

It seems to lack any connecting idea except "I have a gun and I will shoot you."

Dual Pistols goes for the big flashy momentum-manipulating bullet curving gun kata stuff. So how do we make Single Pistol interesting and engaging, unique, and enjoyable without stepping on Dual Pistols' toes?

The answer? Change it up to a 'Gunslinger' style. Make it the Pistolero powerset. There's more than a few Cowboys in Comics, after all, so it gives us some thematic variety!

Quick Draw: Already thematic in it's name, just make it animate as a swift-draw hip-shot.

Steadied shot: Change it to Steady Shot and have the character, hands still as a surgeon's, blast the target.

Covering Fire: How about changing it to "Fan the Hammer" and have the left arm reach across the body to slap the back end of the gun repeatedly at a hip-shot level?

Could even have the animations of the attacks draw and holster the gun after every shot with a "No Redraw" model for powerset use (the gun just appears in your hand while you're  animating the attack)

I'm sure y'all could think of other styles to do.

It could also go for an assassin-type of thematic. Like a ranged stalker counterpart. But then you'll wonder why it doesn't have snipe like a real sniper, not the blaster's snipe which is just a ranged shot with better stats.

I also thought of another power like Disarm when it shoots the weapon out of the enemy's hand. Cool in theory, but maybe not so practical as not all enemies have weapons, and animating the enemies losing their weapons is probably hell for the devs.

This is an awesome idea. Lot's of good ideas followed as well.

I really like the idea of having the option for shields.

If I may add my two cents to the pot:

T2 could be Pistol Whip (like the Arachnos T2, Pummel) +chance for KD/stun?

T3 Covering fire could be 4 shots in rapid succession (still cone in principle, but more in line with the pistol dynamic)

T5 Steadied shot

T8 Double-tap (add crit?)

T9 C4. You throw/slide a brick of C4 (or propane tank) and shoot it for an AoE nuke

It would be cool if you could have "silenced" sound effects when you choose gun skins with suppressors, but I'd be happy with just a better SFX and not the current .22 sounds.

I like these adds Six Six.  I especially like the T9 power, that's exactly what I had envisioned earlier

Dumb idea I just had for a toggle: Russian Roulette

1 in 6 bullets in your gun is empowered. When you toggle the ability on, you get a random number of stacks ranging from 1-6. Every time you fire a bullet, a stack is removed, and if you fire a bullet at 0 stacks, it deals significantly increased damage.

Dumb idea I just had for a toggle: Russian Roulette

1 in 6 bullets in your gun is empowered. When you toggle the ability on, you get a random number of stacks ranging from 1-6. Every time you fire a bullet, a stack is removed, and if you fire a bullet at 0 stacks, it deals significantly increased damage.

Not in the least. Maybe it could be a T2/T3 thing that gives a proc. And it's different depending on you AT, like

MM/controllers could get a hold/stun

Blasters could have +dmg or -res

Sentinels already have the above with Opportunity, so it could +chance to crit since they don't get a crit

Shields Tanks could even join in with -to hit or -dmg (is that a thing?)

stalkers could have a chance NOT to become visible when attacking. I wouldn't mind that

Can dominators use a pistol?

Melee doesn't get to play with the toys so scrapper, brutes, Warshades and PBs are left in the sidelines. =)

• 4 years later

I know it's a necro of an older thread, but I didn't see a point in starting a whole new thread to say exactly the same thing.

I was going to post a suggestion for a single pistol power set (appropriate for characters based on James Bond, John Wick or any number of other similar characters), but I found this was already suggested in this thread.  I'd like to suggest it be considered anew.