Brute vs scrapper

Sechill71511

• 2 months later
  • 4 months later

I think the replies here have great points, but they aren't super detailed so let me try to cover a more detailed bit for each their cases (Scrapper vs. Brute vs. Stalker):

- Scrapper: This is an AT you pick if you have a PLAN. If you beta test it, and it works out very well, then it is probably going to be the best for a mixture of extremely high damage and ST. It will out-damage Brute when all is said and done (but in a lot of cases may not out-damage the ST of a Stalker), and it is the one that best pairs with TW (the arguably most broken primary). I find that TW/Bio Scrapper is a top tier combination and arguably the most "worth it" character you could make in terms of raw DPS, content it can do, and survivability.

- Brute: This AT is just going to be "easy" on you. It isn't as complicated nor as "hard" to plan around as Scrapper, but it can be quite respectable in its own right. Brutes are typically well-regarded for their AOE and decent enough ST, and this remains true for quite a lot of what Brutes end up doing. Brutes typically are not as "respected" on teams as Scrappers/Tankers but it isn't an issue and it certainly won't disqualify you from finding teams by any means. It may at times not feel quite as "shiny" as the Fire Blaster in AOE, but it will feel very consistent and solo very well. The fury mechanic is a +% damage which takes Brutes to be roughly equal or better to Scrappers in AOE and only slightly less so in ST due to the typically longer animation times for AOEs. Brutes will survive at baseline easier than Scrapper and will of course hold agro better in most cases (sometimes taunt aura in a Scrapper secondary will even this out, but in most cases not necessarily). 

- Stalker: This AT is a renown world-class exemplaring character. It will does extraordinary ST pretty much regardless of any primary you chose, some being better than others. AOE is not a Stalker's specialty, but sets usually do contain some sort of AOE still, and lots of primaries can feel quite adequate with their AOEs. Placate is most of the time skipped due to the ATO, the ATO's for this particular character are game-changing more than any of the above (although Scrapper's is exceptionally good). You can get buildup instant recharge procs with AOEs (better proc's with AOEs, more targets = more procs) or ST (rarer but can happen) which make this particular AT very deadly... It is the strict "weakest" of the 3 by default defense numbers but it in some cases survives better than them depending on the secondary chosen for comparison and build. The AS -> big hitter is an obvious damage surge for ST, you can very easily 2 shot bosses with this combination. 

I like to pick them based on a "spectrum":

Want lots of AOE?

Stalker < Scrapper < Brute

Want excellent ST?

Brute < Scrapper (TW/Bio will be the highest of all, but it is an exception more Stalker's combinations ST will be higher**) < Stalker

Want to survive?

Stalker (very slightly)< Scrapper << Brute

Exemping:
Scrapper < Brute < Stalker (some may debate this and combinations make these extremely variable, but for the most part the Stalker has the easiest time at low levels thanks to the early stealth + huge DPS out of the gate with AS)

For themes, I find Stalkers/Scrappers have the cooler themes, using MK for example, Mileena/Noob Saibot would probably be viewed as a "Stalker," Shao Khan would be viewed probably as a "Brute," and "Scrapper" would probably be Kitana/Liu Kang. This is again, mostly an opinion and with different power combinations may not even matter. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later
3 hours ago, Six Six said:

Hey guys. Slightly less of newb, but still a newb...

So if I roll a brute, say sword/shield, would rolling a sword/shield scrapper be redundant? would I notice a difference (as a newb)?

Yes, Brute has higher armor values in the end(90% for res). Brute starts slower but ramps up over a Scrapper, large mobs are your friend. Also you'll want to Soft Cap at 45% with your Positional Defenses, though shield can be tougher then others.  It's all about the builds.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:43 AM, JJDrakken said:

Brute, why? Your damage cap goes higher(eat reds)

Second: There access to Body Pool is different than a Scrapper. Thus giving them even more Endo/Health/Survival.

To be fair, scrappers get more out of Shield in terms of damage.

Also note brutes get more out of /wp since it is partly based on regen and more HP fuels that.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 6/10/2020 at 8:44 AM, JJDrakken said:

Brute starts slower but ramps up over a Scrapper, large mobs are your friend.

Back before the snap, I turned my main into a brute because I found this to be true, but that was before the inclusion of the scrapper AT IOs buffing up the crit chances. Now, even though I can't verify against my old spreadsheets as I lost them, I'm pretty sure that even at max fury a brute is nowhere near a scrapper's damage output on either ST or AoE.

8 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Back before the snap, I turned my main into a brute because I found this to be true, but that was before the inclusion of the scrapper AT IOs buffing up the crit chances. Now, even though I can't verify against my old spreadsheets as I lost them, I'm pretty sure that even at max fury a brute is nowhere near a scrapper's damage output on either ST or AoE.

You are going off basically gambling mechanics(RNG) and constant dps flow.

While yes if(90% our population does not do this) Use ATOs, You are raising your odds & dps value based on a percentage chance of it happening once you've used said slotted power to activate it.

While a Brute is going constantly keep numbers going steadily up, so long there are mobs around. Thus I said, slow start ramping up, large mobs are your friend. Also Brute has a ATO Fury bonus power too.

It's not a gamble over time. My claws/sr brute averages around 4 mins on a pylon, fury sitting between 90-100% thanks to the +fury IO in followup. The claws/sr scrapper averages 3 mins, the passive +crit slotted in the unused swipe and the active +crit, also in followup, means they are in constant rotation. That's about 50 DPS difference between the two. Nothing earth shattering but it's very consistent.

Edit: And, yes, the builds are identical other than the brute vs scrapper AT IO full set in followup.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

Scrappers have a little bit more build freedom than Brutes do.  Many Brutes eventually take Taunt.  All my Brutes have it.  Even the regen Brute, because that one was an experiment to see if a regen Brute could actually tank.  But hardly any Scrapper takes Confront.  One power choice's worth of more build freedom. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

14 hours ago, Heraclea said:

Scrappers have a little bit more build freedom than Brutes do.  Many Brutes eventually take Taunt.  All my Brutes have it.  Even the regen Brute, because that one was an experiment to see if a regen Brute could actually tank.  But hardly any Scrapper takes Confront.  One power choice's worth of more build freedom. 

I'm in the minority in that then? 90% my brutes tend not to take Taunt, less I'm going 6 slot it for Mocking Beratment set. That's mostly for Defense builds or if I have spare slots & want that more recharge.

• Like 1