Remembered one of the things I hate about CoH... its RNG.

Jeuraud

On 8/5/2019 at 3:23 PM, Twisted Toon said:

I suppose I should have prefaced my assertion that you didn't work for NCSoft , etc with an, "As far as I know"... 🤔

Well, to be fair it was something I often stated on the forums, right up to the moment when it became false and I couldn't say it anymore.

• Like 4

• 1 year later

There is nothing worse than missing multiple times in a row and relying on Streakbreaker to bail you out. Infuriating. 

It's the biggest reason why I don't have alt-itis--the thought of enduring s string of misses until I hit fifty is ridiculous. IMHO, this is the biggest drawback of the game.  I'd rather wait for a farm than play though the lowbie content, which is a shame because I've never finished the Praetoria run despite MANY attempts to finish. Just too aggravating.

Instead of nerfing powers, how about fixing THIS?  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

Nice necro.

10 hours ago, TimesSeven said:

how about fixing THIS? 

And suggestions on what you would do to fix THIS?

Edit: see the last post on page 3 to see there is no problem.

Edited by Lunchmoney
  • Like 4

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

4 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

Nice necro.

Does anyone know of a way to spawn multiple targeting drones, preferably A LOT in an AE mission, so that it would be easier to collect data on AoE (including PBAoE and Cones). I firmly believe in the perception bias, but I'd like to be able to generate actual data.

• Game Master
On 7/29/2019 at 5:10 PM, justicebeliever said:

This is spot on...Great example of this is when you buy a new/used car, and suddenly your amazed at just how many other people have the exact same car as you...Where were they before?  They were there, you just didn't notice them...

Oh lord yes. A few years a ago I bought a red Nissan Juke, I thought it looked wonderful and it drove like a dream. The next day I was out driving it and couldn't move for red Nissan Jukes, which up till that point I had never noticed. It turns out it was a very popular make and model. I've just swapped to a Mazda 2 and so far (touch wood) I haven't seen any others on the road. I've finally picked a car nobody else likes, which is slightly worrying 🙂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, TimesSeven said:

There is nothing worse than missing multiple times in a row and relying on Streakbreaker to bail you out. Infuriating. 

It's the biggest reason why I don't have alt-itis--the thought of enduring s string of misses until I hit fifty is ridiculous. IMHO, this is the biggest drawback of the game.  I'd rather wait for a farm than play though the lowbie content, which is a shame because I've never finished the Praetoria run despite MANY attempts to finish. Just too aggravating.

Instead of nerfing powers, how about fixing THIS?  

great idea. they should really add some game mechanic to conveniently boost your hit chance at lower levels

🤔

• Like 1

This is interesting to me. For the first time, I've made a corruptor with dark secondary. Or anything dark, really. It's just so ...yucky. The sound effects, the graphics. They are all less then pleasant to view, imo. Anyway, I finally decided to take the time and do something at character creation and change some of the colors, even if the sounds are still less then pleasant. I can always turn the sounds down. 

Anyway - I would open with tar patch and Howling night...and find despite level 12 SOs, and the "beginner's luck" and my kismet 6% toHit IO slotted, I still miss a lot more than I ever did on my fire/rad corruptor. 

I completely get the inherent bias I likely have - where I remember the misses more clearly than the hits. But man, it seems this ice/dark corruptor is just a whiffing machine. Miss, miss, miss....

I miss so much I feel like I'm in a diner and and the server is deaf and doesn't hear me. Miss, miss, miss, MISS! ...I still miss. 

No, I don't miss 5x in a row, but anytime I debuff, I miss more than when I don't, and that is a fact. I stopped using tar patch and howling night, and I fare much better. Perhaps it's just anecdotal and perception bias. I imagine that's what it is. But, man, it's a stinker secondary so far. I don't see the attraction. It's certainly true for me. Debuffs make me miss. (yeah, I checked - those two powers don't impact the npc's toHit, but they certainly seem to impact mine!)

I start off with freeze ray...and miss! lol

1 hour ago, GM Crumpet said:

Oh lord yes. A few years a ago I bought a red Nissan Juke, I thought it looked wonderful and it drove like a dream. The next day I was out driving it and couldn't move for red Nissan Jukes, which up till that point I had never noticed. It turns out it was a very popular make and model. I've just swapped to a Mazda 2 and so far (touch wood) I haven't seen any others on the road. I've finally picked a car nobody else likes, which is slightly worrying 🙂

Nissan Jukes are the UK's most popular car. 

But that doesn't matter. I drive a car that is super rare and see a different one every day 🤣 

Now back on topic: there's no problem with the RNG 👍

Edited by Lunchmoney
  • Like 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

6 minutes ago, Ukase said:

But man, it seems this ice/dark corruptor is just a whiffing machine. Miss, miss, miss...

Post your combat logs.

Me: "It's okay guys, it's just random chance. Just think of all the times you did hit :)"

Me, after missing a +1 minion 5 times in a row while they kick my ass: "This is bullshit, this whole thing is bullshit, fuck City of Heroes i'm going to play Minecraft instead."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

2 hours ago, AerialAssault said:

Me: "It's okay guys, it's just random chance. Just think of all the times you did hit :)"

Me, after missing a +1 minion 5 times in a row while they kick my ass: "This is bullshit, this whole thing is bullshit, fuck City of Heroes i'm going to play Minecraft instead."

Easy solution: play a buff class, team up with a blaster, let them do the sweaty work.

10 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

Nice necro.

Fine. Add a mechanic that improves the Tohit chance when you're a lowbie--something that lasts to twenty. Make the game more FUN TO PLAY. A string of misses isn't fun. Faceplanting from a -1 minion after four straight misses isn't fun. 

Which is more important, being happy or being right? Married guys can answer this question in a heartbeat. 

And the "shut up and deal with it" answers are of ZERO help. Is that how you deal with life's problems? I like fix situations instead. 

A tohit auto bonus for lowbie toons --or a DFB that can be soloed that gives you this ability -- would dramatically improve gameplay. You might even get less "Looking for AE farm" tells... maybe. 

2 hours ago, AerialAssault said:

Done this SO MANY TIMES except I bail and play my fifty.  I can't count the number of times my Level eight Dark melee/súper reflexes scrapper has been faceplanted thanks to two minions! I'm screaming, "are you f-Ing kidding?!?"  

it's just not fun--and this isn't the only post in existence to make this claim. 

There actually is a mechanic to increase your chance to land attacks when you're a lowbie. Sure, since there have been so many patches you can always check if it's working properly (not impossible that something went wrong) but until someone does an actual investigation I'm not going to pay much mind to complaints about missing.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the trouble people have at low levels is that Brawl and the Origin Attacks completely screw up the Streakbreaker. You'll miss less often if you don't use them.

• Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Just now, Blastit said:

There actually is a mechanic to increase your chance to land attacks when you're a lowbie. Sure, since there have been so many patches you can always check if it's working properly (not impossible that something went wrong) but until someone does an actual investigation I'm not going to pay much mind to complaints about missing.

What's the mechanic? Where can I find stats on it? What's your association to the game? Are you a dev?

Just now, TimesSeven said:

What's the mechanic? Where can I find stats on it? What's your association to the game? Are you a dev?

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Attack_Mechanics#The_Streak_Breaker

That's some very direct questions BTW. Are you a cop?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

1 minute ago, Frostbiter said:

I think a lot of the trouble people have at low levels is that Brawl and the Origin Attacks completely screw up the Streakbreaker. You'll miss less often if you don't use them.

Agreed, the only problem is that you'll die waiting for your two attacks to recharge

17 minutes ago, TimesSeven said:

Fine. Add a mechanic that improves the Tohit chance when you're a lowbie--something that lasts to twenty.

Not sure if you have read this thread? What you are suggesting is called Beginner's Luck and already exists in the game.

https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Attack_Mechanics#Beginner.27s_Luck

Edited by Lunchmoney
  • Like 1