I need some clarification on enhancements?

Mansome

So I noticed there are Attuned enhancements that are not ATO. I was told that the catalyst can make non-attuned become attuned. So if say I have a level 50 set LotG and make it attuned can an alt that is 3 levels below the minimum level LotG exists could they slot it?

My next question is if I use enhancement boosters on the same enhancements to +5 them would that be possible? Would it make it a level 55 enhancement that scales to say level 27?

My next question is with ATOs if those get catalyst to turn purple would I be able to slot both the orange and purple set of the same name or does the game count the orange version and purple version as being the same?

Attuned doesn't change when an enhancement can be slotted, I think it just changes what happens when you Exemplar down to lower levels (it lets you keep the set bonusses down to the lowest level you could have slotted that set, regardless of the actual IO's level).

I could easily be wrong, though.  I've never actually had or used an attuned IO ...

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

26 minutes ago, Mansome said:

So I noticed there are Attuned enhancements that are not ATO. I was told that the catalyst can make non-attuned become attuned. So if say I have a level 50 set LotG and make it attuned can an alt that is 3 levels below the minimum level LotG exists could they slot it?

Yes, although to attune it you’d have to slot it, combine it with an enhancement catalyst, and then unslot it with an unslotter. Better to sell the enhancement you have on the market and then buy an attuned one with the money from that; it’s the same price to buy unattuned and attuned.

28 minutes ago, Mansome said:

My next question is if I use enhancement boosters on the same enhancements to +5 them would that be possible? Would it make it a level 55 enhancement that scales to say level 27?

Attunement and boosting are mutually exclusive. You can’t boost attuned enhancements, and attuning boosted enhancements makes them lose the boosts.

29 minutes ago, Mansome said:

My next question is with ATOs if those get catalyst to turn purple would I be able to slot both the orange and purple set of the same name or does the game count the orange version and purple version as being the same?

You can’t slot both the standard and superior versions of unique enhancements.

14 hours ago, PaxArcana said:

Attuned doesn't change when an enhancement can be slotted, I think it just changes what happens when you Exemplar down to lower levels (it lets you keep the set bonusses down to the lowest level you could have slotted that set, regardless of the actual IO's level).

I could easily be wrong, though.  I've never actually had or used an attuned IO ...

The stats of the enhancement also exemplars down with you, so if your level 50 character exemplared for a level 35 mission, the acc/dam/etc effects will be as if the enhancement was level 35.

Edited by MunkiLord

On 8/10/2019 at 10:16 AM, Vanden said:

Yes, although to attune it you’d have to slot it...

So if I had a toon who was lvl 22 who acquired a lvl 50 recipe he needed (which said recipe's level range was 20-50), he could craft that recipe, slot and attune the enhancement, then be able to use that enhancement for the rest of his leveling career, right?

If that is the case, then no matter the recipe's actual level, as long as the recipe falls in the current level range that you are able to use it, once crafted/slotted/attuned you're good to go.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Drop your pants and get ready to dance... omnibot is on the advance!

10 minutes ago, omnibot said:

So if I had a toon who was lvl 22 who acquired a lvl 50 recipe he needed (which said recipe's level range was 20-50), he could craft that recipe, slot and attune the enhancement, then be able to use that enhancement for the rest of his leveling career, right?

If that is the case, then no matter the recipe's actual level, as long as the recipe falls in the current level range that you are able to use it, once crafted/slotted/attuned you're good to go.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

A lvl 22 can't slot the level 50 enhancement, so your plan doesn't work.  

The better option would be to either:

a) craft the lvl 50 enhancement, sell the lvl 50 on the auction house for the going rate and then buying an attuned version from the auction house at a similar price.  Once put on the market, all enhancements of the same name lose their level/attunement and just become whatever level (or attunement) the buyer asks for. 

b) sell the recipe, buy a lower level recipe you can slot, craft that and attune it.  This will be more expensive, because even if you break even selling and buying the recipes for the same price, you're using a catalyst to attune which can cost 2-3mill currently.  

Check the market subforum for some guides and suggestions.

Ah, so the user of the recipe still has to abide by the slotting restrictions of the recipe's actual level. Good to know, thanks! 😃

One note on catalysts though, they can be bought with merits through the merit vendor... albeit 1 catalyst costs 20 merits.

Drop your pants and get ready to dance... omnibot is on the advance!

16 minutes ago, omnibot said:

Ah, so the user of the recipe still has to abide by the slotting restrictions of the recipe's actual level. Good to know, thanks! 😃

One note on catalysts though, they can be bought with merits through the merit vendor... albeit 1 catalyst costs 20 merits.

Yes, you can buy catalysts with merits, but if the AH does the conversion for free, its definitely a waste of merits/inf to use them on anything but Winter IOs or ATOs.  

I'd rather craft and sell an IO for X inf and buy back the same attuned IO for X-Y inf where Y is the loss on listing fees etc. because Y is always going to be less than the cost of a catalyst or 20 merits of value.  

Or better yet, craft a cheap yellow IO, convert it to a rare with converters, sell said rare, use profits to buy whatever attuned IOs you want.  Made a quick 100 mil doing that on my first character.

Normal level 25-50 IO set crafted for level 50 (LotG recharge is its own set bonus).  Below 47 you lose the set bonus but still keep the enhancement values but they scale down as you get lower in level. 

That same set attuned lets you keep the set bonus all the way down to 22 even if you no longer have access to the power they are slotted in.  Scaling for enhancement values acts the same.

PVP, Purple, Winter and ATO sets keep the set bonus at any level. 

As others have pointed out, you first have to slot the enhancement before you can attune it unless you buy the attuned version from the AH.  There are ways to get that lvl 50 recipe into an attuned IO for a lower level, but the most cost effective is normally to sell it, or craft it and then sell it and buy the attuned version.  Otherwise you need to craft it, slot it, use a catalyst, burn a respec or use an unslotter then you can put it on your lowbie. 

Edited by HelenCarnate

Should mention that Purple (Very Rare) and PvP set bonuses go down all the way to level 1 with you even if the power isn't available when you exemplar.

This means attuning (or buying attuned) Purples is a waste of time as the level you can slot them doesn't change, the set bonuses already exemplar down to level 1 without being attuned, and if you attune them, you can't booster them.

PvP IOs is a different matter due to their level requirement of 10-50, so since you can start slotting it at an early level, it may be more of an advantage for you to buy attuned version if you desire slotting partial or whole sets for the set bonus, and if you're min-maxing, replace the attuned with normal version and booster it when you get to 50.

ATO set bonuses go down to level 7, if I recall, and I don't know if the power needs to be available or not.  Not sure on event enhancements, haha.

5 hours ago, omnibot said:

No - because you have to be level 47 to be able to slot a level 50 enhancement.

You could do that with a level twenty-five (25) IO, however, and it'd work just fine.  Eventually you might want to pull it back out, and put in something higher level .... but you can leave it be while slotting stuff elsewhere, until all of those things are taken care of first, and not suffer for it.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Note that if you want to get an Attuned Enhancement cheaper than it goes for on the store, sometimes you can buy a less expensive Attuned IO in the same category and convert it until it turns into what you want for less than it would cost to buy the IO itself.

For example, if you can find an Attuned Kismet, Serendipity, or Gift of the Ancients IO on the market for about 1 million Inf, you might be able to turn it into a 7 million Inf LotG Global Recharge for less than 6 million Inf worth of Converters. And since it's Attuned, you can slot it yourself just fine.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!