Patch Notes for August 22nd, 2019

Leandro

17 minutes ago, Gin Rummi said:

I'm on Mac and I think I have everything downloaded right. Island rum says ready to play, but when I hit the play button, it times out and does not start. Anyone else having this issue?

I think this thread may have answers for you:

• Like 1

It seems that some of you have OLD copies of Island Rum or are still running the last beta.  If you have either one and are trying to get into the game, download this:

https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

If you wish to try out the NEW beta cycle, download this:

https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac-beta.zip

The new beta no longer requires an external Homebrew install.  It will also install the Wineskin client if you're using a macOS below Sierra (10.12).  You should install it using an administrator (non-limited) account.

On 8/22/2019 at 1:10 PM, Leandro said:

Switching alignment with a completed mission will no longer abandon it. This was being exploited in order to repeatedly obtain the last mission of a story arc (delivery missions in particular) and obtain the merit rewards for the arc again and again. As a result, the mission will be stuck in your list until you switch to a compatible alignment and are able to call the contact again.

Thank you, Leo, as always for this and everything else.  Thank you especially for fixing this clever exploit.  I don't need to tempted. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, Manga said:

Before you access the 64-bit Homecoming client on a Mac, you'll need to do the following:

1.  Your Island Rum should update automatically to version 082220191.  If it doesn't, download it here: http://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

2.  The preferred new way to load the 64-bit client is to install Homebrew and Wine.  Follow the instructions at http://brew.sh first, and after Homebrew installs, run "brew install wine" in Terminal. After that, Island Rum should move all of your CoH files to Applications - if it fails to do so, you can right-click on your old Wineskin client, select Show Contents, and find your CoH files in drive_c/Program Files/coh.  The auto-copy is not supported for the Cider client, so you will have to move those manually (they should be in Contents/Resources/transgaming/drive_c/coh).

3.  If you wish to use the Wineskin client, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE IT WITH THE 64-BIT CLIENT, OR WITH CATALINA.  If you still want to use it, rename it to CoH.app, and move it to Applications.  Occasionally, the Wineskin client might break; in that case, re-download it from http://telstar.eekstudio.com/macclient-wineskin.zip and put it into Applications (move your existing one out of the way if needed).  You can move your CoH files into the new copy if you wish by right-clicking the app and using the Show Contents option - the CoH files are in drive_c/Program Files/coh.

4.  If you wish to use the Cider client, it's much the same warnings and method as above, except it's called "City of Heroes.app" instead.  Also, it's no longer available for download, because I lost it.

5.  Island Rum defaults to the /Applications/coh folder by default when using Wine.

I apologize for the difficult installation process; Getting it all working and tested properly before the 64-bit client went live at Homecoming was a herculean task.  I do have plans for Island Rum to handle the entire Wine installation itself, but there simply wasn't time to get that part working properly.  So I took the simplest route I could with the time I had.

Using your link for island rum I am getting a different working version, 082220193. I have deleted and re-installed a hundred times, tried brewer, don't understand the wine thing and am totally lost and can not play!!! I'm on mac Mojave 10.14.6. hardware is a MacBook Air 2ghz i7 with 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB. Please let me know if there is something else I can do or, help I can possibly get from someone else. I really want to game... I just moved into my new house with better internet and want to put it to the test... PLEASE HELP ME!!!

On 8/23/2019 at 8:09 PM, Gin Rummi said:

I'm on Mac and I think I have everything downloaded right. Island rum says ready to play, but when I hit the play button, it times out and does not start. Anyone else having this issue?

I'm having the same issue.... I don't know what to do anymore...

I'm in the process of installing City of Heroes on my Mac and am running into a problem after installing the Wineskin client. After the zip file decompressed, and was verified, I moved CoH to the applications folder. Following this, I opened CoH and immediately "Wineskin" opened and I was given the option to "Install Software". However, when I selected "Choose Setup Executable", I was unable to select and install it anywhere on my hard drive. Do you know of any ways that I can "Choose Setup Executable" so that I can open the CoH app? Thanks!

I just added a new Island Rum Beta update:

Unfortunatately I didn't realize that the auto-update broke in the *last* beta, so you have to download it again.

It has the following new features:

- Island Rum will now temporarily remove mirrors that fail from its download list during the current session.  This should make patching more reliable.  It will also automatically re-scan and re-process downloads if it detects a download failure occurred during the last scan.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Manga said:

All 3 of you (and anyone else having trouble) follow these steps:

1.  Type "brew remove wine" in Terminal

2.  Type "rm -R ~/.wine" in Terminal, and type it very carefully.

3.  Move any copies of "CoH.app" or "City of Heroes.app" out of the Applications folder (skip this step if you want to use Wineskin or Cider).

4.  Download this beta: https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac-beta.zip

5.  This is where it forks a bit...

- If you plan on using Wineskin, make sure it's called "CoH" and located in the Applications folder.  The presence of "CoH" in Applications will prevent Island Rum from attempting to install anything further.

- If you plan on using Cider, make sure it's called "City of Heroes" and located in the Applications folder.  The presence of "City of Heroes" in Applications will prevent Island Rum from attempting to install anything further.

- If you leave both of those out of Applications, Island Rum will ask you to install a Game Client.  It will install Wine if you're using macOS > 10.11, or Wineskin if you're using other macOS.  The Wine install will be in a "wine" folder inside /Applications/coh, and Wineskin will be an app called "CoH.app" in Applications.

Before it goes live, it still needs testing to make sure it installs the correct thing at the correct time.

EDIT:  It's not just for those 3 people.  Anyone is welcome to test the beta.  I do also want to make sure it doesn't break anything that was working before.

1. "brew remove wine" succeeded

2. There did not exist a .wine folder in my homedir

3. Deleted all immediate evidence of COH from /Applications and ~/Applications

4. Downloaded, unzipped, moved "Island Rum Beta" to ~/Applications/

5. I'm unclear on what the reasons to choose "use WineSkin", "use Cider" or "leave both of these out of Applications" are.  I'm running 10.14.6.  I defaulted to "run "Island Rum Beta" out of the ~Applications folder".

(Island Rum Beta identifies itself as Beta 082520191)

On launch, this says Game Client Not Detected (reasonable enough) and I select Install.

It proceeds to drop a bunch of files directly into ~/Applications/ while progress bars run merrily along.

Eventually (not very eventually), the progress bars are done, and Homecoming, Homecoming 64-bit, HC Beta, HC Beta 64-bit, Paragon Chat, and Titan Icon v1.71 are lit up, while Homecoming Safe Mode and HC Beta Safe Mode are greyed out.  I select Homecoming 64-bit.

Push the big blue forward arrow, it says Launching Homecoming 64-bit, green checkmark ... and then reverts to Ready to Play.

Is there something obviously wrong in the above?  Are there log files I could examine/provide?

24 minutes ago, Manga said:

Try to install it in /Applications instead of ~/Applications.  I haven't tested it in the user folder.  Also, make sure you're an administrator and not a limited user.

I moved Island Rum Beta to /Applications instead of ~/Applications, and it still installed the downloaded files to ~Applications.

I deleted the Island Rum Beta, and downloaded afresh, placing it in /Applications, and the behavior persisted.

I did a Reset Path within Island Rum Beta, and it moved to installing the content into /Applications/coh - and that did it.  Launches and runs.

Thanks for your help in getting me back on the right track - and so much more for all the time and effort you've put into the project.

Just loaded Island Rum and it downloaded another update.  Previously, it had been running a build ending with 193 (not 191 like I keep seeing in posts here), but after the update, the version changed to 192.  Now I get an error message when trying to start the 64-bit client (which had been running fine before today's update) that sys the version may not work.  If I tell it to proceed, it pops up the Wineskin install prompt.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

Also, it does the same thing now for the new 32-bit client, but not for Safe Mode.

Edited by QuantumSin

On 8/25/2019 at 10:52 PM, Manga said:

I just added a new Island Rum Beta update:

Unfortunatately I didn't realize that the auto-update broke in the *last* beta, so you have to download it again.

It has the following new features:

- Island Rum will now temporarily remove mirrors that fail from its download list during the current session.  This should make patching more reliable.  It will also automatically re-scan and re-process downloads if it detects a download failure occurred during the last scan.

404 error on the link.

23 minutes ago, Manga said:

That's old now, download this instead:

https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

Is that build 082820192?  Removed .wine and .wine32 and .privatewine, installed it without problems, but when I try to launch the 64-bit client, it seems to hang.  The wine64-preloader is running and there is a small white vertical line in the center of the screen, but 10 minutes later and there is still no sign of it doing anything. 

Edited by QuantumSin

1 hour ago, QuantumSin said:

Is that build 082820192?  Removed .wine and .wine32 and .privatewine, installed it without problems, but when I try to launch the 64-bit client, it seems to hang.  The wine64-preloader is running and there is a small white vertical line in the center of the screen, but 10 minutes later and there is still no sign of it doing anything. 

Which macOS version are you using?

1 hour ago, Manga said:

Which macOS version are you using?

10.14.6.  Gave up after almost 90 minutes of no change.

Tried a fresh install on an older iMac running OS X 10.10.5.  When it tries to install the game client in Island Rum, it gets an MD5 error downloading macclient-wineskin.zip.

Edited by QuantumSin

15 hours ago, QuantumSin said:

10.14.6.  Gave up after almost 90 minutes of no change.

Tried a fresh install on an older iMac running OS X 10.10.5.  When it tries to install the game client in Island Rum, it gets an MD5 error downloading macclient-wineskin.zip.

You might be having issues getting a complete download.  Fortunately it's easily accessible: https://telstar.eekstudio.com/macclient-wineskin.zip

Still hoping for a fix or a suggestion, @Manga, for my MacBook Pro.  It was running the 64-bit client for several days, but now it doesn't even seem to try to launch in 64-bit, 32-bit, or Safe mode.

The Wineskin download did fix the issue on my old iMac, but it only works in Safe mode.

I really appreciate your help.