Patch Notes for August 22nd, 2019

Leandro

Update on the RSHIFT issue (and please let us know if we should start a separate thread):

Did you folks change something on the server side?  I had gone to the Safe client but then a friend asked whether LSHIFT was also a problem, so I switched back to 64-bit without downloading any new files and now both LSHIFT and RSHIFT are working!

22 minutes ago, Astrobear said:

OK. I've got it working! Hallelujah. The missing instruction was " Click on the Palm tree and reload everything. by clicking RESCAN"

I got it working by selecting RESET PATH and pointing to the new Applications/coh folder, so it looks like we’ve come up with two troubleshooting possibilities. 

Probably gonna sound a bit ignorant here, but what's the advantage of running in the 64-bit client over the standard client anyway? I never paid much attention to the bit differences when programs use it.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

20 minutes ago, thunderforce said:

Also, it's possible to use the legacy client (or a bind file) to make the bind - shift-numpad binds _work_ fine in the new client, you just can't create them. I mention this for anyone else who has this problem.

Not sure I understand this.  My RSHIFT binds were created before this update and stopped working today, so doesn't that mean they were created in the legacy client?

I followed the instructions in the initial post. My Island Rum updated. So I went to click 'play'. It paused for a bit, Island Rum closed (presumably it thought City of Heroes was starting) and... nothing. City of Heroes did not start. There were no error messages. Just nothing.

So I tried the 64-bit version. Same thing. The safe version? Same thing.

I tried the rescan/reset recommended in the thread. No change. I verified I had the right manifest (I did).

I tried running the actual CoH application in my applications folder. It did start up and allow me to sign in. However, I got the following message: "Wrong Game Version. Run Patcher and Reconnect. Server 2019.08.22. Client 2019.06.05".

Not sure where to go from here.

Update:

I managed to get it to work by deleting my wine directory and running winecfg:

rm -rf ~/.wine
winecfg

Edited by Hjarki

22 minutes ago, Hjarki said:

"Wrong Game Version. Run Patcher and Reconnect. Server 2019.08.22. Client 2019.06.05".

That sounds like your client didn't update; it's still the version from June 5th, not the version we were patched up to, today.

Maybe you're using the wrong manifest ...?

If you're sure you've got the right manifest, try re-validating the files (no clue how that would work on Mac - but the Windows version of Tequila, it's [Options], then select [Re-Validate] at the bottom of the popup).

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

There needs to be a news page that cannot be easily missed that reports news that may keep you from playing the game.  Like this.  

I tried to log in and couldn't.  Then I started digging and found that the new patch dropped but for some reason I couldn't log in still.  Had to change my manifest link or whatever it is.  Stupid people like me need a big fat homepage news section telling us we have to do stuff to our game to continue to play.  Just a suggestion from one of your more rural, simple types.  The first time I had to change my manifest I didn't even know what it was, had to change it in order to play right after a patch or something.  Even the website dropped that time.  

Now I have to go to my even dumber then I am friends house and try to explain to him how to get his game to work again.  

4 minutes ago, Spotlore said:

There needs to be a news page that cannot be easily missed that reports news that may keep you from playing the game.  Like this.  

There was a thing about this, on the top of the forum window, this morning - since I'd already been to this thread, I just closed it without reading all of it.

But ... this forum has the ability to force acknowledgement of certain notices (especially, moderator warnings).  Either you click the "I acknowledge" button or you can't do diddly.  Maybe that could be adapted to work for important news, like the issues with the patch today?

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Don't know if this is something that broke during patch or now WAI - but for Death From Below it seems enhancements are no longer dropping as rewards. I have just run two instances with two different teams and everyone reports zero enhancements but small amounts of inspirations, recipes and components.

1 hour ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Probably gonna sound a bit ignorant here, but what's the advantage of running in the 64-bit client over the standard client anyway? I never paid much attention to the bit differences when programs use it.

32-bit programs are limited to using 2 GB of RAM (temporary memory). With 4GB or even 8 GB of RAM being standard now, and 16 GB or 32 GB being popular in performance computers, this is a problem for anything that uses a lot of processing power, like 3d games. 

Everything SEEMED to update fine but when I launch Island Rum and then click the 64bit launcher, I get a WINE popup box asking me to select an EXE or Move or Copy.

Not sure which I am supposed to select. I tried clicking on the various options but each one wants me to select something before proceeding.

Any tips?

Edited by Wardo

I really hope someone can help me.  I'm running Mac OS X Sierra.  I updated Island Rum and then it didn't see my CoH installation.  I found Manga's post in this thread and installed Homebrew and used it to install Wine.  Island Rum still didn't see my installation.  So I deleted my old CoH install and ran Island Rum again, this time it installed the game.  But...  Nothing happens when I try to launch the game.  Something happened and all the files that Island Rum "installed" are sitting in the CoH folder, not in the standard Wine-style hierarchy.  

What can I do?  Help?!?!?!?

Finding the game unplayable in 64bit for some reason, I'm sure it's not my system.  Other players are saying running smoothly, definately not for me - rubberbanding galore, powers not activating etc.

I am sure it must be something simple in settings causing this, would appreciate any help.  Thanks

PC specs (NOT exhaustive):

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 8/22/2019, 20:51:46
             Machine name: DESKTOP-SDHKJQ5
               Machine Id: {7B0BB56A-FE27-4F4C-A964-9CC9FE21BB70}
         Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: MSI
             System Model: MS-7977
                     BIOS: 1.10 (type: UEFI)
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16338MB RAM
                Page File: 9499MB used, 9270MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.17763.0001 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
           Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
        Manufacturer: NVIDIA
           Chip type: GeForce RTX 2080
            DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Type: Full Device (POST)
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1E82&SUBSYS_372D1462&REV_A1
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 16178 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 8010 MB
       Shared Memory: 8168 MB
        Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)
         HDR Support: Not Supported
    Display Topology: Internal
 Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G22_NONE_P709
     Color Primaries: Red(0.639648,0.330078), Green(0.299805,0.599609), Blue(0.150391,0.059570), White Point(0.312500,0.329102)
   Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.500000, Max Luminance = 270.000000, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 270.000000
        Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
       Monitor Model: ROG PG278QR
          Monitor Id: AUS27B1
         Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (59.951Hz)
         Output Type: Displayport External
Monitor Capabilities: HDR Not Supported
Display Pixel Format: DISPLAYCONFIG_PIXELFORMAT_32BPP
      Advanced Color: Not Supported
         Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_ed316ebc2bdc1c66\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_ed316ebc2bdc1c66\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_ed316ebc2bdc1c66\nvldumdx.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_ed316ebc2bdc1c66\nvldumdx.dll
 Driver File Version: 26.21.0014.3039 (English)
      Driver Version: 26.21.14.3039
         DDI Version: 12
      Feature Levels: 12_1,12_0,11_1,11_0,10_1,10_0,9_3,9_2,9_1
        Driver Model: WDDM 2.5
 Graphics Preemption: Pixel
  Compute Preemption: Dispatch
            Miracast: Not Supported
 Hybrid Graphics GPU: Not Supported
      Power P-states: Not Supported
      Virtualization: Paravirtualization
          Block List: No Blocks
  Catalog Attributes: Universal:False Declarative:False
   Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 17/04/2019 01:00:00, 958008 bytes
         WHQL Logo'd: Yes
     WHQL Date Stamp: Unknown
   Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-5DC2-11CF-0D7C-23171BC2D735}
           Vendor ID: 0x10DE
           Device ID: 0x1E82
           SubSys ID: 0x372D1462
         Revision ID: 0x00A1
  Driver Strong Name: oem25.inf:0f066de3ed1bdd3f:Section002:26.21.14.3039:pci\ven_10de&dev_1e82
      Rank Of Driver: 00D12001

Further update on the RSHIFT situation: I don't know how I got it to work for one character, because it's not working on any others except when I run Safe Mode.

Tried going to Safe Mode and manually re-entering the bind, then running 32- or 64- but no luck.

1 hour ago, Rhinoxx said:

Don't know if this is something that broke during patch or now WAI - but for Death From Below it seems enhancements are no longer dropping as rewards. I have just run two instances with two different teams and everyone reports zero enhancements but small amounts of inspirations, recipes and components.

Something broke during the patch; specifically, rewards marked "NoLimit" and "Forced" were being silently ignored because a function was declaring them as the wrong data type. The bug has been in the code forever, but the older compiler shrugged at the wrong data type, while the new one thought it was something it could optimize. A hotfix is being applied which will take effect in new maps as they start, so this should slowly propagate over the next few hours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Manga said:

Before you access the 64-bit Homecoming client on a Mac, you'll need to do the following:

1.  Your Island Rum should update automatically to version 082220191.  If it doesn't, download it here: http://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

2.  The preferred new way to load the 64-bit client is to install Homebrew and Wine.  Follow the instructions at http://brew.sh first, and after Homebrew installs, run "brew install wine" in Terminal. After that, Island Rum should move all of your CoH files to Applications - if it fails to do so, you can right-click on your old Wineskin client, select Show Contents, and find your CoH files in drive_c/Program Files/coh.  The auto-copy is not supported for the Cider client, so you will have to move those manually (they should be in Contents/Resources/transgaming/drive_c/coh).

3.  If you wish to use the Wineskin client, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE IT WITH THE 64-BIT CLIENT, OR WITH CATALINA.  If you still want to use it, rename it to CoH.app, and move it to Applications.  Occasionally, the Wineskin client might break; in that case, re-download it from http://telstar.eekstudio.com/macclient-wineskin.zip and put it into Applications (move your existing one out of the way if needed).  You can move your CoH files into the new copy if you wish by right-clicking the app and using the Show Contents option - the CoH files are in drive_c/Program Files/coh.

4.  If you wish to use the Cider client, it's much the same warnings and method as above, except it's called "City of Heroes.app" instead.  Also, it's no longer available for download, because I lost it.

5.  Island Rum defaults to the /Applications/coh folder by default when using Wine.

I apologize for the difficult installation process; Getting it all working and tested properly before the 64-bit client went live at Homecoming was a herculean task.  I do have plans for Island Rum to handle the entire Wine installation itself, but there simply wasn't time to get that part working properly.  So I took the simplest route I could with the time I had.

So, I use a Mac, and I'm somewhat at a loss. I had to download the Island Rum update manually, I installed Homebrew, installed wine. When I run Island Rum now, it immediately gives the error "Unable to move CoH files - Please Do So Manually." Do I have to Create a new folder in Applications named "coh" since there isn't one now? I've been running it from a folder named Paragon Chat because that's what I'd originally installed Island Rum to run. When it installed Homecoming on its own is when I actually made a try at playing this, and have been pretty avid ever since.

Also, Island immediately freezes after displaying the error, and won't react to me clicking on the "OK" button it displays, and -very- slowly flashes 'SCANNING...' on the left side. I eventually have to force quit it, because nothing seems to be happening.

Edited by Takehai

Takehai

Global Handle @Night.Fyre

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

4 hours ago, Hjarki said:

I followed the instructions in the initial post. My Island Rum updated. So I went to click 'play'. It paused for a bit, Island Rum closed (presumably it thought City of Heroes was starting) and... nothing. City of Heroes did not start. There were no error messages. Just nothing.

So I tried the 64-bit version. Same thing. The safe version? Same thing.

I tried the rescan/reset recommended in the thread. No change. I verified I had the right manifest (I did).

I tried running the actual CoH application in my applications folder. It did start up and allow me to sign in. However, I got the following message: "Wrong Game Version. Run Patcher and Reconnect. Server 2019.08.22. Client 2019.06.05".

Not sure where to go from here.

Update:

I managed to get it to work by deleting my wine directory and running winecfg:

rm -rf ~/.wine
winecfg

This did it for me