Kill Stealing

Hangover

I think kill stealing isn't always a big deal, for instance, if I see someone about to die fighting a mob? I'll jump in and help most of the time. I say most because sometimes I get there too late and they die.

I feel it's better to help people avoid xp debt, so it'd be awkward to jump in and save someone, only to have them yell at me for kill stealing.

New people to online gaming and a few that have been around...joining in killing a mob when you have not been asked, or are not on a party with the person killing a set of mobs is called Kill Stealing and is GREATLY frowned upon by most players. I realize you might think you are helping but please do not do so. You may "Need that mob to complete your mission, go find another set as it is rude and disrespectful to the player already engaged with the set of mobs. Thank You

I am just happy there is a game to play. You may all steal all of my kills anytime. :D

I love when there's a ride-along with a Sewer group.  Another similarly levelled character who doesn't get the security of being part of the 8 man team, but can carve out a little XP by dealing damage, and can lend control and other assistance. Nothing rude about having a guest star jump in and help. If you don't care for that, door missions are your answer.

Welcome to open world combat. There are plenty of instanced missions in the game. If some random player comes along and tags your target in Atlas Park, just roll with it.  Anything n the streets is fair game and as it's been said, there are plenty of targets to choose from and they don't take long to drop. Now if it was an elite boss or Arch Villian/Hero that was mission critical and took 10 minutes to respawn, that'd be different, but come on. Getting bent outta shape over Skulls, Thorns, Hellions, and Freakshows that are running rampant on the streets, that's a little over the top.

Welcome to open world combat. There are plenty of instanced missions in the game. If some random player comes along and tags your target in Atlas Park, just roll with it.  Anything n the streets is fair game and as it's been said, there are plenty of targets to choose from and they don't take long to drop. Now if it was an elite boss or Arch Villian/Hero that was mission critical and took 10 minutes to respawn, that'd be different, but come on. Getting bent outta shape over Skulls, Thorns, Hellions, and Freakshows that are running rampant on the streets, that's a little over the top.

The whole point is that people _cannot_ 'roll with it', thier brain chemistry simply will not allow it.

It's sad, but some people simply cannot cope with a (virtual) world they cannot control, where there are people doint 'things' that are not 'right'.

Hall Monitors and Wanna-be Authority Figures have always been rife in CoH.

The entire idea that other people play games differently drives thier brains into meltdowns.

Even here on servers like this, they bring up this useless and immature drama, thinking they are 'saving' the rest of us.

In such a short span, this board has become just as funny the official forums were so long ago...

IME, some people simply should learn MMOs are not for them, but if they keep coming back, who am I to judge?

It does not matter why it is done...it does not even matter who gets the kill...it is RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL and there is NO excuse for it...you can attempt to justify the behavior if you want to, but it is still not acceptable behavior online. If you are in that big of a hurry, maybe online gaming is not the place for you!

In YOUR opinion.

Frankly, the last sentence is just as applicable to you.  If you are getting that bent out of shape about people not playing by your rules, maybe online gaming is not the place for you.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

If you are bothered by "killstealers", bind "I have this under control. You are needed elsewhere". Its the heroic way to tell someone to go away.

I like this idea (even though I'm one of those that are usually okay with unexpected assistance).  I need to figure out how to set up macros so I can say things other than my battle cry.

The thing that annoys me the most about the kill stealing issue is that people like the OP getting apoplectic over it only serve to create an environment where new people feel like they get no help when they find themselves in over their head.

I don't go around engaging mobs that someone else is fighting, unless the person fighting them is clearly going to lose (meaning, for me, that their health bar is near critical).  Generally I'll only do that in Atlas Park or Kings Row.

If someone flies in and saves my behind I also make sure to politely say thank you. 

Altaholic

It does not matter why it is done...it does not even matter who gets the kill...it is RUDE and DISRESPECTFUL and there is NO excuse for it...you can attempt to justify the behavior if you want to, but it is still not acceptable behavior online. If you are in that big of a hurry, maybe online gaming is not the place for you!

maybe COH is the wrong game for you because this behavior, isnt seen as "kill stealing" or even as rude and disrespectful. it is highly apreciated and welcome behavior if someone helps you in a fight.

i understand your way of thinking, especially if you are used to play other mmos, but you also need to understand that the COH comunity is completly different from most mmo comunitys.

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

You should relax, it's not that big of a deal.

maybe COH is the wrong game for you because this behavior, isnt seen as "kill stealing" or even as rude and disrespectful. it is highly apreciated and welcome behavior if someone helps you in a fight.

Like someone else said, it only becomes a problem if the person is persistently following you around and sniping your kills even after you ask them to stop. But "killstealing" in general in itself isn't seen as rude by the vast majority of players.

I actually jumped in and helped somebody fight a mob (we were clearly on the same mission), entirely because in WoW they implemented shared mob tagging so that everybody gets quest credit, and that's just what I'm used to. Then I suddenly thought, "wait, maybe it doesn't work that way in this game" and I moved on to a different enemy.

I'm also not a speed-leveler, so I'm never thinking about how much XP everybody is getting. And in this game, getting to max level as fast as possible always seemed kind of counterproductive to me anyway.

For a minute there, I actually cared about this ...

... then I realized, OOC, that the population is too small to actually make this any kind of real issue and inside missions ... or hell, most missions that you actually go on tend to be instanced.

... then I realized, IC-ly, that I'm a villain, and why should I care about this again?

... then I realized, IC-ly, that I'm a villain, and why should I care about this again?

While this specific matter is nearly universally agreed to be a non-issue with only a few standouts who make a big deal of it, this comment right here is troubling. Why should you care about it? Because I should hope OOC you're NOT a villain. Please don't use RP to justify being a jerk to other PLAYERS. It's not cool at all and only gives the real RPers a bad image.

OMG. Why is this thread still going? As has been stated many times in this very thread, you CAN NOT kill steal in this game. The. End. Mod's lock this thread and everyone move on. Jesus.

Because there is a city in the Midwest that is continually threatened by a silver backed gorilla and is protected by a man who can run faster than the speed of light.

While this specific matter is nearly universally agreed to be a non-issue with only a few standouts who make a big deal of it, this comment right here is troubling. Why should you care about it? Because I should hope OOC you're NOT a villain. Please don't use RP to justify being a jerk to other PLAYERS. It's not cool at all and only gives the real RPers a bad image.

So, those of an Evil alignment should not play their characters as if they had an Evil alignment?

The very concept is baffiling.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

So, those of an Evil alignment should not play their characters as if they had an Evil alignment?

The very concept is baffiling.

What I find baffling is if we're going to accept Villains will Killsteal and Heroes will not, where does that put those of us who are in the Shades of Grey alignment?  Honestly, you can always trust dishonest people to be dishonest.  It's the honest ones you ought to watch out for.