All Servers Are Down? 7:46am 10/1/19

reo184

28 minutes ago, Apparition said:

It was posted on Discord à hour and a half ago that all of the servers would be taken offline for two hours, starting 25 minutes ago. 

Even those of us with Discord don't want to sign in there daily to check for maintenance notices. I usually check the maintenance forum topic and the server status before I log in. I played for a few hours on test this morning and signed out. Later on i check maintenance and nothing is listed, I check server status and all show okay. I log in and servers are down.

In the forums I see Status is changed but still nothing in maintenance section. At least the patch notes were updated.

It is easier and more convenient for the general user if maintenance notices are posted in the forums.

• City Council

It's safest to assume the servers will be down at the regular times every week. Check out the FAQ for more info.

Generally we stick to Discord & in-game for the short-term announcements, so if you want up-to-the-minute info that's the place to be.

• Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• City Council

At any one time there are more users on Discord than there are on the forums. Discord is also faster and easier for us to use, especially when we're also working on other things (ie: preparing for maintenance).

Again, the safest thing to assume is that there will always be maintenance during the regular maintenance windows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

The forums are more secure and reasonable, though.  And since the forums are a check-and-done environment, as opposed to discord, the "any one time" metric isn't really a fair or accurate comparison.

Until such a time as the Homecoming team can invest in their own VOIP/chat system, I don't think it's particularly beneficial to ask the community to rely on such a separate third-party piece of software.  Especially that one.

I put discord on my phone.  I seldom check it and have almost all of the channels muted, except server status and announcements.

It’s way easier for me than the forums because I get an alert on my phone when the servers go down or the dev’s post an announcement.  I always prefer my critical communications to be push notifications instead of me having to go check reactively.  I’d rather know not to login prior to maintenance or because of an outage than have to check the forums every time or not be able to log in and have to track down the reason.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

5 minutes ago, reo184 said:

Is there anyway I can get the discord channel then?

reo184#8758

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/26-city-of-heroes-homecoming-discord-server/

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

At any one time there are more users on Discord than there are on the forums. Discord is also faster and easier for us to use, especially when we're also working on other things (ie: preparing for maintenance).

Welcome to the future, brothers.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

I signed on to Discord once. Asked a question and didn't get a answer. Came to the forums and got a answer. 

I guess it's a generations thing kid's stuck with their neck bent down to their cell phone. Back in my day we had to read books and we liked it 🙂

This is what happens when a bunch of gamers decide to become devs lol.  My kids have used discord for games for a while and stupid old mom finally had to dload it.  I dont understand it, but I dloaded it!  Whatever way the devs choose to communicate with us is good with me...it beats no communication and we've all been there before.

Edited by EmmySky
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 10:31 PM, EmmySky said:

This is what happens when a bunch of gamers decide to become devs lol.  My kids have used discord for games for a while and stupid old mom finally had to dload it.  I dont understand it, but I dloaded it!  Whatever way the devs choose to communicate with us is good with me...it beats no communication and we've all been there before.

You're right. NC Soft just up and shutting down the servers is the worst!

• Like 1