Sonic Resonance Love

Apparition

I have three Sonic Resonance toons of various levels (including level 50), since Homecoming started, and I have a couple of suggestions.

• Up the range of Disruption Field by a third.
  • For the love of %deity%, please reduce the endurance cost of Disruption Field by a third.
  • Reduce the recharge of Liquefy by a third.

These three (relatively small IMO), changes combined would make a significant impact on Sonic Resonance.  While leveling up using SOs or generic IOs, using Disruption Field while playing anything other than a Mastermind is out of the question because you simply do not have the endurance if you use your attacks, especially if you have and use Sonic Dispersion.  At level 50 with fully slotted set IOs and Incarnate powers, it's workable.

In regards to Liquefy, I simply forget to use it because the recharge time is so long.  If it was an overwhelming power or something, I could understand the five minute baseline recharge.  But it's not.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later

I agree with what you're suggestion, but I think a bigger change needed.

Before my suggestion. Here are a few facts:

• Resist cap for defender, corruptors, and controllers is 75% vs 45% def cap
    • You could argue that def should be higher for Incarnate content, but 45% is the basic soft cap
    • Even with enhancement sets is much harder to cap multiple resists than def
  • A lot of support power sets key buffs or heals work on the user, Natural and Time are prime examples.
    • Nature's Wild Growth gives the same resists w/o the psi hole as Sonic Dispersion, plus regen, heal bonus vs status defense which can be replaced with Incarnate abilities
    • Time can buff close to 20% def for all including psi making soft capping trivial

You have an power set built around resistance buffing which cannot cap any resist category except s/l and a giant psi hole. Also, if you chase resists then it is very hard to soft cap defense. Currently, soft capping defense requires chasing set bonuses which blocks effective proc slotting. 

Suggestions (one or several options):

• Close the psi hole or at least shrink it.  I think this is required because of the amount of psi damage plus 50
  • Maybe have Sonic Barrier and Haven should provide some resists to the user
    • Gives incentive to re-buff
  • Or Sonic Dispersion should receive a buff. 
    • Raise the resists
    • Or provide a small amount a def so that soft capping is easier

The percentage of resist increase would require a lot of play testing. I would start with 10% with psi resists included.

• 2 weeks later
On 10/3/2019 at 1:58 PM, Apparition said:

I have three Sonic Resonance toons of various levels (including level 50), since Homecoming started, and I have a couple of suggestions.

• Up the range of Disruption Field by a third.
  • For the love of %deity%, please reduce the endurance cost of Disruption Field by a third.
  • Reduce the recharge of Liquefy by a third.

These three (relatively small IMO), changes combined would make a significant impact on Sonic Resonance.  While leveling up using SOs or generic IOs, using Disruption Field while playing anything other than a Mastermind is out of the question because you simply do not have the endurance if you use your attacks, especially if you have and use Sonic Dispersion.  At level 50 with fully slotted set IOs and Incarnate powers, it's workable.

In regards to Liquefy, I simply forget to use it because the recharge time is so long.  If it was an overwhelming power or something, I could understand the five minute baseline recharge.  But it's not.

Even as an MM (currently low forties) I agree with all of these.  Especially Liquify.  When I saw the recharge is 300s on Liquify I was just baffled.  Tar Patch is a much better power and it has a 90s recharge and a longer duration!  Liquify should be about the same as Tar Patch: 90s recharge, 45s duration.

EDIT: Removed comments about Sonic Dispersion, I was looking at the wrong power in MIDS.

Edited by Sura

1 hour ago, Sura said:

Tar Patch is a much better power and it has a 90s recharge and a longer duration!  Liquify should be about the same as Tar Patch: 90s recharge, 45s duration.

Tar Patch is a power with totally DIFFERENT effects. Tar is -res and slow. Sonic has (i think) the most -res of any set, with two powers that do it (even though one needs a team mate).

Liquefy does -def, a chance to hold, knockback (or down, I forget), and a totally huge amount of -to hit. Having it on the same rech as TarPatch would make it stuipdly good. ANd also mean that the main mitigation for a Resist based set..suddenly became -to hit.

Make it a bit faster..not that much.

Sonic used to do the most -res of any set, until Cold Domination.  Cold Domination does more now.  Sonic Resonance Corruptors, Controllers, and Masterminds can do -45% resistance.  Cold can do -60% resistance across the board.  That's on top of all of the other tricks Cold has up its sleeve.

Edited by Apparition

That is true..although the -res on sonic is easier to have always going (at least on one target). Heast Loss is a pretty long rech..and honestly, looking at teh set just now..Heat Loss shouldnt even have -res. It doesnt make a heap of sense, even more so for a set about 'cold domination' somehow have more -res than a set based on resists.

IMO, Cold Domination should have been nerfed hard shortly after it first came out, because it is objectively better than both Force Field and Sonic Resonance combined.  But that boat sailed a long time ago.

Edited by Apparition

30 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

Tar Patch is a power with totally DIFFERENT effects. Tar is -res and slow. Sonic has (i think) the most -res of any set, with two powers that do it (even though one needs a team mate).

Liquefy does -def, a chance to hold, knockback (or down, I forget), and a totally huge amount of -to hit. Having it on the same rech as TarPatch would make it stuipdly good. ANd also mean that the main mitigation for a Resist based set..suddenly became -to hit.

Make it a bit faster..not that much.

I can see that.  Maybe take out the 3% chance for knockback(down) (is .67 knockdown?  I think so) and then use that as an excuse to lower the recharge.  Not really sure why a 3% chance of ANYTHING is worth putting into a power.  Honestly, you could halve the recharge down to 150s and I think it'd be fine.  

5 hours ago, Sura said:

I can see that.  Maybe take out the 3% chance for knockback(down) (is .67 knockdown?  I think so) and then use that as an excuse to lower the recharge.  Not really sure why a 3% chance of ANYTHING is worth putting into a power.  Honestly, you could halve the recharge down to 150s and I think it'd be fine.  

It could depend on how often it pulses too. A 3% chance every sec vs 3% every 0.33 seconds could make the difference. I dunno how quickly it procs, just saying. 

10 hours ago, Leogunner said:

It could depend on how often it pulses too. A 3% chance every sec vs 3% every 0.33 seconds could make the difference. I dunno how quickly it procs, just saying. 

Good point.  It's still something I'd sacrifice to get the recharge down, if a sacrifice were needed.  I'd rather just have the recharge down to 150 or 200 or something, without losing anything.  

Sonic Resonance is so much of a One Trick Pony that I've tried it numerous times on Live, and I just couldn't get "into" it, personally.  Maybe if the set was extended a little to have some more diverse mechanics?  Maybe something like a +Recovery self-buff on Sonic Siphon.  I mean, thematically, it's a Siphon power, and Kinetics knows what's-what for that.  Take something away from the target, give a little something to yourself.  Being able to slot /some/ kind of Set in to Sonic Siphon could help a lot.  Similarly for Disruption Field, maybe have it buff the target ally with a little Endurance replenishment or something.

And can we just turn Sonic Cage in to a flat Hold instead?  I mean, it already has the icon for it anyway.  Are Intangibility Powers really that much more popular than Hold Powers?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

And can we just turn Sonic Cage in to a flat Hold instead? 

Good grief yes.  Within the first levels of Sonic I found myself thinking the same thing.  There's just not a lot of room for intangibility powers in the game, and the set could really benefit from a hold.

• Thanks 1

To attract me to sonic resonance would require:

Make Sonic Barrier and Sonic Haven buff you at half value, and all of your allies around you at full effect.   So it has some value soloing.

Turn Sonic Cage into a sleep that keeps reapplying itself.  It would not be full control but could keep reapplying itself to a boss.  So it would be good control on one target.

Reduce END cost on Sonic Dispersion and add in a regen buff so you have some healing effect for yourself and your team.

Turn Sonic Repulsion into a ground target so you can use it on an ally or solo.

9 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

I mean, thematically, it's a Siphon power, and Kinetics knows what's-what for that

Oooh. Great point. Sonic SIphon giving YOU +rez and recovery, because you cant use your shields on yourself, and the set does have a lot of end heavy powers (well, 2).

Edited by Razor Cure
  • Thanks 2