Suggestion: Varying Power Mastermind

Herotu

Masterminds are cool, but you NEED to keep summoning pets in order to be highest efficiency.

What if the damage/health of pets varied depending on how many were out. 

This way players can choose to just have one pet in order to have it approximately AS powerful as the army of minions.

Not sure how this would work with the class when it doesn't have OPTIONS for max number of pets.

For example: You want to make a super DUO with you and one of your pets? Now it's possible.

The best part of all is that if you have all the pets out, it's exactly the same as it is at the moment.

Edited by Herotu
  • Like 2

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

Yeah, this would be wonderful. Doubt it's in the realm of possibility though. I'm sure someone will be along to inform you of the numerous ways why I can't happen soon enough. But I'll just leave a +1 instead and it would be great for concept builds. Honestly, who's idea was it to mix lions in with wolves? *sigh*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

B-but...  I like the sound of six Mercs' machine guns blazing away!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

If I could ditch some of my pets, like tier 1 of most sets or the kinda useless Spec Ops in Mercs, on a cave map and retain full effectiveness, I’d be quite the happy camper and so would everyone around me.

I’d recommend buffing other effects in addition to damage and health for some pets, however, such as mez duration, buffs, debuffs, and heals. Good for Protector Bots, Enforcers, Demons, and especially Lich.

Hm. You might imagine ditching tier 1 and 3 of Necromancy to “flip the switch” between debuff/utility and raw Grave Knight damage, or double up on that debuff/utility by ditching tier 1 and 2 and keeping the Lich but with boosted effects. Interesting, if it is indeed possible.

Edited by Shazbotacus

You'd need to set up a buff tied to the Mastermind themself for all Pets in the Area. A Second "Supremacy", if you will. And have additional copies of that buff applied at 6, 12, 18, 24, and 26.

Then you'd need to apply a "Supremacy Debuff" to the Mastermind from each pet the Mastermind Summons to have it directly counteract the buff increase tied to them. So the first Minion counteracts the baseline level 1 buff, the third one counteracts the level 18 buff, explicitly.

Get all 6 pets out, the buff is gone. Have only 1 pet out, 5 pets worth of buff on that one pet.

But... This would just be a flat buff to all Masterminds in the end, since the loss of minions during a fight would increase the damage of the rest of their minions, rather than representing a loss of damage output.

So I'm gonna /Jranger it, myself.

• Like 1

I posted a similar idea.

But agree with Steampunkette on her example. 

But to counter this, I would say Forget about pet health and pet death. 

Instead the system looks at your BUILD and then assigns the buff. 

So if your build ONLY has one pet there is no recalculating new damage scores on the loss of a pet. 

I would like to see the following.

Only Tier one pet present in the build then the 3 are equal to the last pet  ( Tier 3 ) in DPS for example. 

But your PERSONAL attacks decrease in endurance and do more damage. 

This compensates for the lack of pets and overall dps.

Less pets = You can do more personal attacks.

Since builds can only be changed at trainer the possible ability to scam by swapping builds in the middle of a fight for example is nil. 

Something like this would open up a few more different concepts and power set combinations.

Personally I have about 4 or 5 Petless to Semi-Petless masterminds.  All doing pretty much 3/8 setting. Some can do 4/8 but it would be slower.  

2/8 I think is pretty much the sweet spot. 

My point is these builds are doable. 

1 hour ago, plainguy said:

I posted a similar idea.

But agree with Steampunkette on her example. 

But to counter this, I would say Forget about pet health and pet death. 

Instead the system looks at your BUILD and then assigns the buff. 

So if your build ONLY has one pet there is no recalculating new damage scores on the loss of a pet. 

I would like to see the following.

Only Tier one pet present in the build then the 3 are equal to the last pet  ( Tier 3 ) in DPS for example. 

But your PERSONAL attacks decrease in endurance and do more damage. 

This compensates for the lack of pets and overall dps.

Less pets = You can do more personal attacks.

Since builds can only be changed at trainer the possible ability to scam by swapping builds in the middle of a fight for example is nil. 

Something like this would open up a few more different concepts and power set combinations.

Personally I have about 4 or 5 Petless to Semi-Petless masterminds.  All doing pretty much 3/8 setting. Some can do 4/8 but it would be slower.  

2/8 I think is pretty much the sweet spot. 

My point is these builds are doable. 

The builds are doable... but the game can't look at your build and determine what powers you don't have to increase your power of a given NPC.

Also worth noting: Any buffing of your followers would count against their maximum categorical buffing. More HP? Still capped at the same absolute value. More Damage? Still can't get more than X00%. 

I know it's kind of opposite to what the OP was wanting ... but perhaps the easiest way to implement a buff of this type would be the MM's pets get buffed as the others are beaten? It should easy enough for the game to track when a pet is KO'ed and that causes the remaining pets to go into a "frenzy" where they get +ACC +DAM +Special based on who is gone? Like your Arsonist (which dies all the time) would provide an effective perma Insight & Enrage to the remaining Pets. And if one of your Enforcers dropped that kick in that would in a separate perma Keen Insight, Focused Rage, & Luck. 

On 10/17/2019 at 6:38 PM, Steampunkette said:

I'm gonna /Jranger it, myself.

I had to google it: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=%2Fjranger

3 hours ago, TheSpiritFox said:

if you want a petless mm play corr imo

Thanks for that.

21 hours ago, The 1 Endless Waltz said:

I know it's kind of opposite to what the OP was wanting ... but perhaps the easiest way to implement a buff of this type would be the MM's pets get buffed as the others are beaten? 

Yes, I did think of this after the fact but I forgot to amend the original post with it. I was going to add that I wouldn't want the remaining pets to become more powerful as you're being beaten down, but again, I'm just tossing out an idea and not giving any specifics about how or if it gets implemented*.

I know that one of the top ideas flying around at the moment is customised Mastermind pets (I'm not guessing/psychic, the developers said it somewhere) and I thought that even more freedom would be great, particularly as some people would like to make a superduo as their class.

*I did mention only HPs and damage because those are things that all (?) pets do, and I didn't want to get into specifics of noodling around with powers and all that guff. 

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:31 PM, TheSpiritFox said:

if you want a petless mm play corr imo

No for many reasons.