Rad/? New to the set

Caol24

Well, you could go with Broadsword for the melee defense of Parry... I haven't played Rad so I don't have any personal experience.  I've always been partial to Stone Melee for the knockdowns and solid performance however it's NOT the easiest on your blue bar.  Fire Melee is always the go to choice for damage; I've been hearing a lot about Titan Weapons but the long animations may be an issue.

From what I've seen Rad Armor seems to be a solid set on it's own so it should work well with most anything you care to put with it.  I wouldn't go with Ice Melee or Energy Melee, both were low performers on Live.

*edit

Doh, just realized we were talking about Scrappers, not Tanks.  Well, take the above comments for what they're worth.

Edited by Call Me Awesome
Brain Fart

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

On 10/20/2019 at 9:31 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

Gonna be honest... I slapped together a rad/fa brute for farming and hate it. She's due for the deletion pile. Rad's animations are just too long and clunky to deal with for me

Dear me, I made a colossal error and thought you made a Scrapper version. That said... I’m so confused. The ST will be lower (that’s ok with lore pets and degen) and the AOE damage between Burn + Atom Smasher is practically a permanent blaster nuke. Although Rads animations are on the long side, I think you may just not be enjoying your build. I love mine!

Edited by 3333053222

Unlike other people, I really dislike going with the same theme for primary and secondary. But Rad is one where I can see merits to it as Rad Armor addresses some of the downsides of Rad Melee.

I do have both a Rad/SD and Rad/FA (brute). Both are endurance hungry until you deal with the issue. That really makes me wonder how Rad/Electric or Rad/Ice might fare.

I'm looking at Rad/Rad mainly for overlapping AoE in a scrapper or Stalker build, and it looks like Rad Armor's Radiation Therapy is one of the few places to get -Regen in a melee-type.

If I understand Mids' correctly, it's -150%

The only other that I could find: Bio Armor - DNA Siphon (-100%)

I'm looking for the -Regen because I want to try to solo AVs, and from everything I've read so far, -Regen is critical to that.

I couldn't find any other Scrapper or Stalker powers with -Regen. Did I miss one?

I made an Ill/Rad Controller, that's at 50 and fully slotted, and that toon cannot solo anything yet. I'm going to try again after some Incarnate powers are more fully slotted. I can damage Rikti Pylons, and they don't do anything to me, but after 10 minutes, I don't make any progress. They heal too fast for me.

You may wish to post your build for suggestions in the Controller forums (if you haven't already). An Ill/Rad should be able to solo AVs and certainly shouldn't have issues solo'ing "anything"

PS:  In particular check out a build by Hyperstrike.

Edited by Doomguide2005

On 10/24/2019 at 9:22 PM, StoneKarma said:

I made an Ill/Rad Controller, that's at 50 and fully slotted, and that toon cannot solo anything yet. I'm going to try again after some Incarnate powers are more fully slotted. I can damage Rikti Pylons, and they don't do anything to me, but after 10 minutes, I don't make any progress. They heal too fast for me.

This isn't right, a well built Ill/Rad can handle anything in the game.  It's from before shutdown but check out Local Man's Ill/Rad guide: http://guidescroll.com/2011/07/city-of-heroes-illusionradiation-controller-guide/

I had one on Live built in a similar fashion and it was a beast able to solo nearly anything.  I typically teamed with Local Man on Live, he was a SG mate, and the character can handle anything.  He's a Lawyer but I never held that against him ☺️

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler