Attuning IOs?

Clave Dark 5

Yet another Stupid Question That I Just Can't Seem To Find An Answer For time!

How does one attune an IO?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Catalyst, I believe.  Slot the IO then open it like you were going to plus it, click the one you want into the combine box and then click catalyst (you have to own them first and they will appear in a box beside the power and slots..its salvage not enh), click combine and done! 

This is how I made my tanker ATOs into Superior but I think it attunes as well.

Also, if you buy enh from AH it is the same price (and availability) for regular or attuned so that saves you the cost of a catalyst.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Catalyst, I believe.  Slot the IO then open it like you were going to plus it, click the one you want into the combine box and then click catalyst (you have to own them first and they will appear in a box beside the power and slots..its salvage not enh), click combine and done! 

This is how I made my tanker ATOs into Superior but I think it attunes as well.

Also, if you buy enh from AH it is the same price (and availability) for regular or attuned so that saves you the cost of a catalyst.

Does it have to be slotted, or can you do it in your tray?

• Like 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

11 hours ago, SilentAce said:

Never ever make attuned enhancements you are just throwing away inf. Make a crafted version of what you want and sell it on AH. The AH will sell crafted as attuned to those that buy. Look at the price market of each and their both the same.

Way ahead of you on this.  I was just wondering what the process was.  😃

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

23 hours ago, SilentAce said:

Never ever make attuned enhancements you are just throwing away inf. Make a crafted version of what you want and sell it on AH. The AH will sell crafted as attuned to those that buy. Look

at the price market of each and their both the same.

There is a major exception ATO’s (Archetype Origin Ench)

it’s much more cost effective to buy the regular attuned and use a catalyst to make it superior .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later
On 10/21/2019 at 7:01 AM, Gravitus said:

There is a major exception ATO’s (Archetype Origin Ench)

it’s much more cost effective to buy the regular attuned and use a catalyst to make it superior .

Why is that?

@Super Whatsit

Superbase passcode (Excelsior) is "passcode-6475"

It's all a Nemesis plot.  But not everything is a Nemesis plot!

19 minutes ago, OldManMercy said:

So...can one attune set IO's? All these recipies for low level stuff that's actually good but I can't use it because I set out at 50. Can I craft those, slot them and then attune them so they level with me like the ATO's do?

Yes you can, but it's going to save money if you craft them, sell them and then buy the attuned versions considering what Catalysts go for.  You'll likely be paying 10% in auction fees on the deal but you should be able to sell the crafted for what you pay for the attuned version.  For most IO's 10% of their cost is considerably less than the 2-3 million you'll pay for Catalysts.  The only downside is the nuisance factor of having to walk them through the Auction House.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

2 hours ago, OldManMercy said:

Catalysts only cost 20 merits. Easy to get. I also plan on getting my set IO's with merits, so I'm not going to be marketing anything. I learned on live to avoid the market for anything but salvage. I see it's fairly the same now, too.

If you think that you need to reread some of the responses to this thread. You're throwing away gobs of both influence and merits if you do it that way.

3 hours ago, OldManMercy said:

Catalysts only cost 20 merits. Easy to get. I also plan on getting my set IO's with merits, so I'm not going to be marketing anything. I learned on live to avoid the market for anything but salvage. I see it's fairly the same now, too.

You are incorrect.  Do NOT avoid the market.  Do NOT use Catalysts for regular set-bonus IOs.  You can buy attuned IOs for the exact same price as regular IOs.  This means that every time you use a Catalyst, you are short-changing yourself of several million Inf.

The reason this works is because the AH has back-end magic that stores every IO enhancement in a common inventory pool stripped of level/attunement.  For example, when someone posts a level 30 set-bonus IO, it goes into the same inventory pool as an attuned equivalent.  So when someone else buys that same IO attuned, they might actually be pulling the inventory item that was previously level 30.  If you look at the quantity and price history of each different set bonus IO, you'll see the same values.

The net net is this: if you want attuned IOs, BUY attuned IOs.  Don't waste your Catalysts.  You can (and should) craft any IOs you want to keep: just sell them first, and then buy them back already attuned for you.

Catalysts are necessary only for upgrading ATOs from regular to Superior.  That's what you want to use them for, not for regular set-bonus IOs.  Save your merits for that.

Here's some screenshots I just took that show a Kismet: Accuracy at level 30 and Attuned.  You can see in the red boxes where the quantity and price history is exactly the same for both.

image.png.3b3f0cb1fcd64e46f84c8f1992df7b23.png

image.png.cec2f478f43231c79158ba788743e055.png

Edited by Rathulfr
Added pictures.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

12 hours ago, Rathulfr said:

Catalysts are necessary only for upgrading ATOs from regular to Superior.

Superior are "you need to be 50", right? Got all excited on my level 47 Kheld last night and bought 3 with proceeds from Market Crash then realized I couldnt seem to upgrade my ATOs yet. 

9 hours ago, Carnifax said:

Superior are "you need to be 50", right? Got all excited on my level 47 Kheld last night and bought 3 with proceeds from Market Crash then realized I couldnt seem to upgrade my ATOs yet. 

That's correct, they're a level 50 requirement, although they scale down with you for lower level content.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Carnifax said:

Aw. 3 levels? But I want them now!

But thanks!

Remember, you need to convert all of them in a given power or you loose the set bonuses... having say 3 Superior and 3 normal gets you the 2 & 3 IO bonus for both the Superior and normal sets but you loose the 4, 5 & 6 IO bonuses.  And unfortunately no, you can't slot both the normal and Superior versions of an IO even though Mid's (at least the version a few months ago) would let you do so.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler