How skipable is placate

Zep

For those that have it how much do you use it?

Only class power I dont have on my Elec/Elec stalker.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

rarely. imo it requires max recharge to be very useful which means dedicating too many slots to it during leveling. Once I have the spare slots I no longer need it. 

Maybe a base rech of 30-40 sec and I'd likely take it. As it would be up almost every fight while leveling. 

Placate has his uses but is a highly skipable Power. If you play PVP i would recommend it, but for PVE there are allways something else that would fit better.

Con:

• Long animation time
  • Can not mule sets
  • The ATO does something similar

Pro:

• It will save your ass if you take on a AV which was too much for you
  • It is godsend for PVP
  • If you don't have the ATO during leveling it will be very usefull
  • It is a 'one slot wonder'. Just put a recharge reduction in there and you are done.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use it on my Kin/EA stalker occasionally to force a buildup recharge but...yeah it mostly sits there unused.

My advice would be look at your build and see what you are struggling with having enough of. If the answer is powers skip it. If the answer is slots it makes a decent if niche power that you don’t need to add slots to.

I found it fairly useless on my Fire/Regen stalker when I tried it... it only sheds aggro from the targeted mob, not all his buddies who might be pounding on you at the time.  While I've only played a couple of Stalkers to 50 I find that there's always a better choice for power selection.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Croax really nailed it well.  If you are leveling solo, I think it has increased value because sometimes you do need that panic button and to peel a particularly bad foe off you. Maybe to flee, not to AS them even. Get familiar with the ATOs. ATOs are not a level 50 only thing - they're attuned. You can be using them from level 10 if you like - at least the 2 procs. 

Though I have to add in a mention that on dual blades, Placate is part of some of the combos so it's a whole different situation on that powerset.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

On 10/20/2019 at 1:53 AM, Croax said:

Placate has his uses but is a highly skipable Power. If you play PVP i would recommend it, but for PVE there are allways something else that would fit better.

Con:

• Long animation time
  • Can not mule sets
  • The ATO does something similar

Pro:

• It will save your ass if you take on a AV which was too much for you
  • It is godsend for PVP
  • If you don't have the ATO during leveling it will be very usefull
  • It is a 'one slot wonder'. Just put a recharge reduction in there and you are done.

QFT.  Honestly, my take on placate is this:

”Useless in PvE, lifesaver in PvP.”

Playing solo could find its uses but it’s really not needed at all thanks to ATO proc.  Even when I solo AVs, I have little to no need since I’m just trying to build focus and waiting for my hide proc to shoot off.

It was useful at times when leveling up my night widow, and still used it fights here and there in the Dark Astoria story, Once I got the toon specced out enough in the incarnate stuff I never ended up using it, though. Kind of outgrew the need for it I suppose. I just finished working on a dual blades stalker and realized I used it maybe twice in all 50 levels and never once against an EB past 25. Probably just a power that is more useful at lower levels once available but if you do things right, the higher you get, the less you'll need it. Been thinking of respeccing out of it on the NW actually.

Never tried it PVP, though, so maybe Tacopotamus (best name I have seen on the boards this month so far! Kudos!) is right.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

• 3 weeks later

I take it to help with that level 12-22 range as a single target control power to use when soloing.  It will basically put one target on hold while you kill the others.  But I respec out of it as soon as this is no longer needed.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow