Are Saiyans Brutes?

Odhinn

I was wondering about what a Saiyan would be in CoH and concluded they must be Brutes. Power levels seems to go up when they get really annoyed and it seems anger is the way to initially unlock Super Saiyan.

Gohan may be a scrapper in DBS as he seems to be less emotionally charged than some like Vageta.

I know super nerdy was just curious on others opinions.

If we're talking about a general "best fit" in CoH, then I'd say either brutes or sentinels, depending upon how you want to interpret/translate the anime into game mechanics.  The thing is, AFAIK, Saiyans permanently grow in power as they suffer damage - not just a temporary increase in damage as you attack and get attacked...

• Like 1

If you try to class the idea of a Saiyajin into a game world scenario, they would be the class that earned their XP points on a per-damage-received basis, with no level cap, and opportunity gates that act as amplifiers to their base damage and resistance values.

Whenever they were injured (simplified) they'd heal back stronger, the greater the critical impact, the more significant the recovery (again, simplified). I personally think it'd be a hard-pressed idea to try and really take their concept and fit it to a role in this game as each character had different approaches to their combat methodologies. A character like Gokuh would be more methodically a Scrapper (imo), terrible general resistances, but significant burst critical capability. Bejita on the other hand I'd probably see more as a Brute for his temperament and need to fuel his anger into his purpose, and also just generally having a pretty strong tolerance for taking a hit. Gohan I'd probably class a Stalker because he was always a sleeper-agent of burst capacity for the majority of the series, and granted it was emotionally engaged, it was always short, extreme bursts (assassin's strike).

I kinda felt Sentinels should've been a better blend of ranged blasts with a couple of good melee attacks to really be a balanced option, and then it really would've spoken a lot more to the idea of a DBZ/S character. That aside, I'd probably peg Piccoro as a Sentinel option as he's always portrayed as a much more methodical, tactical minded individual looking at any given fight from a distance. I mean, look at the very beginning of DBZ with the long-range attack he said he developed to take down Gokuh, and ended up using to kill Radditsu.

Note about the concept of Super Saiyajin: In the lore it wasn't specifically anger that spurred the transformations, it was the ideal of great emotional distress (one way or another). It was easy to take the idea as "anger" when Gokuh does it "first" (even though it was partly driven by loss, and his moral drive for balancing evil) but it wasn't until the OVA with Mirai Torankusu (Future Trunks) that anyone got a chance to see a loss-driven reason. Bejita's wasn't even loss or anger driven, but raw failure and realization of his own inadequacies. Looking at things from a whole-series perspective really changes the impact of an individual moment in DBZ (especially in its original airing format) when so much just random combat happens most of the time. Core it down to the heart of the story and it could've been translated and written in a much different way. Basically, if it hadn't been Shonen (before Shonen was really Shonen even, DBZ kind of made that format).

Semi off/on topic, I actually express the level of effort on my Rad/Dark Scrapper as what stage of "Super Saiyajin" he's gone into. There's a set of abilities that kind of determine what threat level I feel he's facing. Oppressive Gloom, Shadow Meld, how often I have to use Dark Regen (if at all), the use of Hybrid, and whether I summon a Night Widow, or the Lore Pets. Very rarely does he ever get to the stage of warranting more than OG+Regen, and any case I've ever gone full-tilt has just been to show off (per request).

Sorry, way over-analyzed that 😅

6 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

whats a Saiyan?

Dragon Ball Z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are right Sir Myshkin, anger was perhaps a bad choice of words. Though, Vageta does tell Cabba (English dub) that anger is the best to trigger the transformation.

It would be fun to hot key or macro a costume change when your rage bar gets to a certain point.

A Saiyan in City of Heroes would be a character that door sits screaming for most of a mission until they've finally achieved enough power to face down the final threat for an amount of time equal to the time spent screaming. 

I'd totally play this, and sometimes I do when I just sit and scream at my monitor. 

Edited by oldskool
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldskool said:

A Saiyan in City of Heroes would be a character that door sits screaming for most of a mission until they've finally achieved enough power to face down the final threat for an amount of time equal to the time spent screaming. 

I'd totally play this, and sometimes I do when I just sit and scream at my monitor. 

Slightly change that a character who does not zone in until the end of the mission, but solo's the AV in record time and you got Saitama.

Just now, calash said:

Slightly change that a character who does not zone in until the end of the mission, but solo's the AV in record time and you got Saitama.

Make sure you run on foot to the mission door without any powers and when you get to the mission door let the pushup emote cycle 100 times.  Then you go solo the AV in record time. 

If there is a situp emote (haven't checked), then do that 100 times too.  Its the only way.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldskool said:

A 5-minute Build Up type of effect with a 5-minute animation.

7 hours ago, srmalloy said:

A 5-minute Build Up type of effect with a 5-minute animation.

Only if I can get screen shake and a relooping animation from something like the ground effect of Tremor where debris flies around and the ground cracks up. Then have a Tornado-effect stack on top of it that picks up those rocks and swirls them around.

Radiation / Super Reflexes / Leviathan (just for Knockout Blow) Sentinel with a ton of Power Pool moves like Air Superiority, Flurry, probably all 3 Fighting attacks, maybe spec into Presence too.

Instead of Super Reflexes, you could also pick, Energy, Fiery, Invulnerability, maybe even Regeneration or Willpower.

Could also go with Radiation / Martial Combat Blaster, but it'd take a bit of work to get up to that sweet sweet, "that was just my afterimage" level.

Edit: Wait, no. The answer is Peacebringer. Light Form and Inner Light are your Super Saiyan form. You have beam attacks, you have melee attacks, you can even minfx the shields/LF.

Edited by Demon Shell
I'm an idiot