No Death Penalty?

Apologies if there is already a point about this elsewhere, but when I played CoH originally there was experience debt as the main penalty.  I always thought that was odd, since clearly it only has meaning before endgame.

Now whenever I die there appears to be no debt. It's always 0.  Is this temporary or what?

Right now I don't fear death, which is a shame because we definitely need a healthy fear of death.

While people are saying it start at level 10 - the toon I'm on is level 30 and still not seeing any debt.

It could be that's coming out of my patrol exp but I'm on every day and patrolling plenty... so I don't think there really is any result to being defeated.

If there is - it's barely nominal and certainly not felt by people who are face down...

While people are saying it start at level 10 - the toon I'm on is level 30 and still not seeing any debt.

It could be that's coming out of my patrol exp but I'm on every day and patrolling plenty... so I don't think there really is any result to being defeated.

If there is - it's barely nominal and certainly not felt by people who are face down...

The servers have had a global xp boost since they were up.  When their is a global xp boost patrol xp isn't consumed by normal play.  After the servers move the global boost will be removed and changed to local boost from P2W vendor.  So the only way your patrol xp will ever go down now is from dying. 

Plus patrol XP doesn't go down, at all, when there server has a positively modified XP modifier.

And we seem to be randomly getting small amounts of patrol XP even while logged on.

Can I get someone to take my patrol XP. I don't think I can get debt badges and it makes me P. Sad.

Don't worry, losing patrol XP due to debt will count for the debt badges.

Can confirm, I earned the last three debt badges in about an hour during Torchbearer's inaugural Hami raid yesterday.

I can also confirm what Vanden noticed.  I *do* get patrol XP while logged off, but I also get patrol XP seemingly randomly in the middle of playing.  Haven't pinned down when or how I'm getting it.

I've also (for fun) managed to rack up enough debt to see if I can blow through all my patrol XP and actually *get* real debt (complete with deep purply/red debt bar), and yep, you can.

(It's also worth mentioning that I definitely remember that by the time you are very high level, debt from one death is such a tiny fraction of one "bubble" that you could practically log off for five minutes and the patrol xp you got would effectively erase the debt -- although that was more noticed from a disconnect making me 'kill' the game and take about five minutes to re-log, than from actually using that as a strategy to get rid of debt.  Like many veteran players I actually didn't care about debt and didn't really care how much I had or how long it would take to pay it off - since the answer to the latter was almost always 'not long at all...')