Supergroup Base Raids

Giovanni Valia

The return of base raids is something I would very much like to see. I have not seen this question answered elsewhere, so I am making this post. I have often thought how interesting it would be to construct a base with PvP in mind. Although the majority of the player-base seems to be very vocal of their hatred of PvP, there is a minority of players that have expressed interest in super-group base PvP making a return.

Perhaps if there was a way to make this optional or have destroyed base assets revert to their original state after the event was over? In full disclosure, I never did play on the Live server, so I'm unsure exactly how it would be implemented. I'm interested in the community's thoughts on this.

screenshot_191121-17-59-37.jpg

Edited by Giovanni Valia
  • Like 2

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

• City Council
5 hours ago, Giovanni Valia said:

The return of base raids is something I would very much like to see. I have not seen this question answered elsewhere, so I am making this post. I have often thought how interesting it would be to construct a base with PvP in mind. Although the majority of the player-base seems to be very vocal of their hatred of PvP, there is a minority of players that have expressed interest in super-group base PvP making a return.

Perhaps if there was a way to make this optional or have destroyed base assets revert to their original state after the event was over? In full disclosure, I never did play on the Live server, so I'm unsure exactly how it would be implemented. I'm interested in the community's thoughts on this.

screenshot_191121-17-59-37.jpg

Hi Giovanni! I too would love to see Base Raids return some day! I use to love the feeling of invading an enemy base and hunting down their IoPs - but also planning my base around an actual defensive strategy as oppose to just the aesthetics! So fun!

I too feel that PvP can get a bad rep in-game, hopefully that's something that can change in the future! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! ^_^

• Thanks 1

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! Arcanum#7164

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

IIRC there were many restrictions on base construction that were deliberately related to support for base PvP on old live.  Some of them were relaxed to some extent later on, but your base still had to follow the strict rules if you wanted to add PvP related items.  PvP was never that big on old live, and this was easily the least popular form of PvP. I did some arenas and visited the PvP zones from time to time casually; but I never did this, and I don't know anyone who ever did. 

I can't imagine this being practical for Homecoming bases, even if they aren';t built above or below the plat. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Unfortunately base raids with the existing (post-I13) PvP system would probably end up being a crapshoot at best. I think Thunderspy's server is working on adding them back into the game but they haven't taken any steps to address some of the powers issues that would make it even worse.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

To get Base Raids back the devs would have to scrap basically every item-placement change that's been made post-Live. No more "any item in any room". No more "putting items in hallways and doorways". No more "clipping items through walls". No more "building above the plot".... and almost certainly no more completely unattached rooms or in-base teleporters.  All of those things break the pathing and placement restrictions that base raids imposed on builders.

Personally, given the way so many of us build these days? I'd give the removal of those options in the name of a niche feature that few PvPers even seem to want a very, VERY hard "no".

It's just a guess, granted... but I suspect the number of base builders who love those improvements and would argue to defend them pretty substantially outnumbers the group who want to Base Raid, too.

Edited by Coyotedancer

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

My VG used to have base raids back on live, and it was a blast. We would battle with VG's in our coalition. 

It was fun and a good way to build good relations with other folks.

Too bad most people who dont pvp hate it because they take it personally.

I am by no means a pvper but I loved the base raids.

• Like 2

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

My vague additional recollection is that base raiding also revolved around Items of Power that were obtained in the Cathedral of Pain trial, which was down more often than it was up because of issues caused by those items.  This was in the days where the trial could only be run on characters that were all in the same supergroup.  Eventually the trial came back in a highly revised form, and no longer rewarded the Item of Power. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Imagine enabling PvP wouldn't be the hard part, the hard part would be making sure griefing/balance issues didnt crop up. I can just imagine someone trying to have an opponent spawn in a room and other players could attack them from the outside and they couldn't do anything. Of course at a certain point if your base sucks and you grief people nobody is going to want to fight/duel in it, but I don't pvp anyhow. I'd just love to have mobs ambush my castle but I know the AI would be too wonky on "Over room" surfaces lol

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for expressing your thoughts on the viability of base raids and base combat. I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to implement PvP in bases. Still, I would like to see some way to have player-created maps that feature a PvP or PvE option. PvE in bases seems even more unlikely as KingofMonkeys pointed out due to the current AI path-finding not registering all surfaces correctly.

It really is a shame PvP gets so much hate. All of my experiences with PvP in this game have been positive. It's really all about the player's attitude when fighting in a duel or a match.  

Edited by Giovanni Valia

Excelsior Server: Giovanni Valia, Operative Velez, Fortunata Valeri, LongFang Mercer

SG: Shades of Arachnos; 315-6811

I think the only way they could enable base raiding on HC would be to give supergroups the option to have a raid-enabled base, which would have to follow the base-building rules from live.  Since there's no prestige anymore it wouldn't be that much of a hassle for players, since SGs with fancy bases could form an affiliate PvP SG just for raiding.  But it's probably too much of a hassle for a group of volunteer devs for a feature that few players ever used on live.

• 4 weeks later

I don't know if this has been considered or is even possible, since there seems to be a PVP population on Indomitable, and since the "rules of live" have been suppressed. Why not add an issue 24 server just for PVP players since you can move your characters around with free tokens at any time, and back with the greatest of ease. I get you get stripped of SG membership with transfers but can be easily remedied with multiple members and a few cut/paste macros.

I ran a very large VG on live back in the day called -Corruption- and we used to raid with Misfit Villains all the time! It was so fun! Part of the experience of the game as a whole imo. And some of you make great points, it builds community and friendships in game and out. After CoH was shut down I think we all went to Conan and played together for a while.. Just wasn't the same. But that's a story for another time.

With all the changes and the playerbase now and all the skills and mastery they've accomplished, I mean there are some great toon builders out there, I think they would make for a fantastic challenge to add to our niche community, imo.

Sign me up if this ever happens!

-Delanooch @wasuber

• Like 1