Questions about "Playstyle" and Character Creation

Wavicle

A few questions came to mind, and I noted some things, while I was looking at character creation today.

I can SORT OF get my mind around why Tankers are listed in Melee Damage and Defenders are in Ranged Damage, and similarly I can SORT OF understand why Kheldians are not listed in Melee Damage and why Dominators are not listed in either Melee or Ranged.

But I'm confused about why Arachnos Soldiers are listed among Pet summoners, but Arachnos Widows are not similarly listed among Crowd Control archetypes.

I also note that the Kheldian archetypes descriptions STILL say "they take more damage from most sources" which hasn't been true since like issue 4.

I assume there are other discrepancies that I missed.

13 hours ago, sacredlunatic said:

But I'm confused about why Arachnos Soldiers are listed among Pet summoners, but Arachnos Widows are not similarly listed among Crowd Control archetypes.

I'd wager it has to do with their branching paths, and how both VEATs can kind of be "jack of all trades".

I also note that the Kheldian archetypes descriptions STILL say "they take more damage from most sources" which hasn't been true since like issue 4.

There is a lot of information that is outdated.  I'm sure updating such things are on a very very long to-do list, somewhere...

I assume there are other discrepancies that I missed.

You're likely correct.

Edited by biostem

Can't say I even read or paid any attention to these even when they were introduced on live so, maybe a list of corrections handed to the dev team to reduce the effort they would need to fix these would be the most helpful, as I really don't think it's a big enough issue to spend dev time on?

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

I always skip the playstyle tab and switch straight to archetype, where they will all be listed. It's a pretty redundant feature, since the description tells you about each archetype.

Those descriptions could easy include a line to the effect of 'suggested playstyles: ranged damage / crowd control / pet summoning'.

Edited by Lines

7 minutes ago, Lines said:

I always skip the playstyle tab and switch straight to archetype, where they will all be listed. It's a pretty redundant feature, since the description tells you about each archetype.

Those descriptions could easy include a line to the effect of 'suggested playstyles: ranged damage / crowd control / pet summoning'.

Yeah it was introduced when they went free to play for the hordes of new players, but it really seems more confusing and well largely inaccurate considering how out of "normal" you can build pretty much any AT in City

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

9 hours ago, boggo2300 said:

Yeah it was introduced when they went free to play for the hordes of new players, but it really seems more confusing and well largely inaccurate considering how out of "normal" you can build pretty much any AT in City

I actually really like it.  Creating new toons is a big part of the game for me and being able to sort the AT list by playstyle is helpful.

1 minute ago, sacredlunatic said:

I actually really like it.  Creating new toons is a big part of the game for me and being able to sort the AT list by playstyle is helpful.

Fair enough, thats kind of why I suggested crowd sourcing corrections for it, to get it right without tying up to much of our incredibly limited dev time

• Like 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

10 hours ago, Lines said:

Agreed, the playstyle tab is more for those who don't yet know how the ATs play. After you've played the ATs a bit, then you tend to skip that altogether during CC.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

When it comes down to it, the whole playstyle thing is dumbing down the character creation to make it more accessible to novice players.

I think that anyone is going to admit that new player shouldn't be starting off placing an Arachnos Soldier, Arachnos Widow, or Kheldian.

I would even say that a new player shouldn't be playing a mastermind.

It would be good to have a gate in character creation that allows you to pick "new player", "guided" or "experienced player".

The "new player" path would ask you from the beginning if you want to create a hero or villain (no Preatorian option). From there you would be gated into a revised playstyle listing with the archetype selections being only the original ones from CoH and CoV (no Arachnos Soldier, Arachnos Widow, or Kheldian). After power selection, it is the same (except that  you have already picked if you are a hero or villain.)  By default, you go to the tutorial as you are a new player. I would go as far as to automatically "gift" them some things from the P2W vendor (the enhances at least for sure).

The "guided" path would put you into what the current character creation system looks like.

The "experienced player" path takes you to as list of all the Archetypes. After Archetype selection, it functions the same as the current character creator.

Setting it up this way allows ease of use.

Helps new players easily learn the fundamentals of the game before getting into situations that are even more complicated.

Helps those that aren't sure that they completely understand the Archetypes.

Gives ease of access to archetypes to those that already understand what the archetypes are.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.