Report Typos Here!

Widower

Later in Dr Q, we find a clue that refers to a "portal gate-way". The hyphen is spurious. At the end of the mission, we're told "Your team has taken the lab and contained it's occupants." its/it's again.

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

Get rid of the sidekick level malus and the 5-level exemplar power grace.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 7:35 PM, thunderforce said:

I'm not entirely consistent about this. I would generally tend to ignore common errors - after all, they are common. However, I do tend to report particularly clunky phrasing, even though people do sometimes employ clunky phrasing.

Agreed.  Well, on the clunky phrasing at least.  I still prefer to stamp out errors, common or not. :-)

Edited by Cinnder

"[NPC] Supply co-ordinator: We provided the supplies as per our contract" - missing full stop. Still in Dr Q, although the end is in sight. "You successfully smashed the Nemesis Army base, proving the validity of your information", same problem.

"It's almost as if the Rularuu in the Shadow Shard had been in contact with their bretheren", typo for "brethren". " This will mean strikes against several seperate bases, and I doubt any of them will be easy", typo for "separate".

Homecoming Wiki  - please use it (because it reflects the game in 2020 not 2012) and edit it (because there is lots to do)

Things to do in City of Heroes, sorted by level.   Things to do in City of Villains, sorted by level.   Things only Incarnates can do in City of X.

Why were you kicked from your cross-alignment team? A guide.   A starting alignment flowchart  Travel power opinions

What I sincerely hope is the last mission of Dr. Q, the briefing: "We've tracked them down, they're in a section of caverns deep below the city". Semicolon, not a comma.

Mender Ramiel's TF, Trapdoor's description refers to his "nacent" Incarnate abilities. Typo for "nascent".

After talking to Lady Grey, mission entry popup: "You enter the tunnels where this container has been stolen off to". "Stolen off to" is at best rather clumsy.

Oh, and in Ramiel's post-TF dialogue, he says "During this time you can not re-slot that same slot again". He means "cannot". "Components are very personal and only work for the person who found them, therefore they can not be traded or sold" - same error, and any of "them; therefore, they", "them, so they", or "them; they" would be better than that "them, therefore". "Apparently whoever ..." - I would prefer a comma here.

Also when he said "There are three tabs in the Incarnate UI" I think I got a bit of fourth wall in my face, but that's not a typo.

Sara Moore, The Legend of Ruladak, first appearance of the ongoing clue, Nemesis Army troops were "under order to do just that". One is "under orders", not "under order".

Gah, lost my place, but subsequent clues in Sara Moore refer to "men and material", where "matériel" is meant; the first time you rescue Old Fred you get a clue that contains a beginning quote mark for his speech, but no ending quote mark; she can't quite decide if Nemesis are "brass-hearted" or "Brass-hearted" (I'd prefer the former but since she calls Lord N "the Prince of Brass" I guess the second would do...)

A later clue is "A half-finished letter" from a "Captian" Easting, and also is missing its final closing quote.

There's a pleasing symmetry to the way every clue has its own typo. "The Story of Ruladak" is "filled by page upon page of densley-cramped writing". "Densely", and it's filled _with_ it.

"A Traitor's Treaty" (also a clue) has two lots of "it's" in it. And "straight-forward". This arc has a lot of slightly dubious hyphenated formations, but that one's just wrong, I think.

After that in a mission briefing Sara refers to "Ruladak the strong", who's been "the Strong" until now.

Sara Moore, briefing me on the fourth seal, tells me that I must "secure it's safety" - should be "its".

Mission enter popup on "Defeat General Fort" (a says "There is a definite feeling of resignation and determination in this base. As if the Nemesis Army under General Fort has only now realized the enormity of their actions". For once, this does want a comma, not that full stop.

"You have recoverd the Fourth and Final Seal" - besides "recoverd", I'm willing to grant some uses of "the Fourth Seal" are OK, perhaps that's literally its name so can have capitals, but this should be the "fourth and final seal".

The clue "The defeat of General Fort" is missing a closing quote mark. (It's not a typo, but also, I just got it and Mission Complete without ever seeing General Fort; I double-checked this by then finding and killing him before exiting.)

Sara can't decide if it's "Ruladak the strong" or "Ruladak the Strong".

Ruladak's description says "The removal of the gem result's in the..." - apostrophe.

Justin Augustine's description: "Most of his power centers on ritual magic, and his own unerring ability to find the right place to be at the perfect time" - spurious comma.

He says of the Monument of Denial (in a mission debrief) "I could swear that's greek" - should be Greek. (Also, he's pretty good at translating these given how much he sandbags about not understanding them...)

Of the Monument of Guilt, he says:

'And when the world was split the Strong one Remained Loyal, And the Strong One called Faathim Traitor for his plans, And the Strong One called Faathim Traitor for his actions, For Strength would let none stray from Rularuu'

I'm not that confidant about that, but it's the best I can do. At least I think I know what the next step's going to have to be.

"Confidant" is a straight typo for "confident", "Strong one" should be "Strong One", "Remained Loyal" needs no caps (I've left "Traitor" because NPC dialogue in zone often calls him that, implying it's a proper name). The clue is similarly affected.

"Speak to Faathim", the briefing says Faathim won't be "out-right hostile". "Outright".

"I am Faathim, called the Kind one" - should be "called the Kind One".

He also says "I ask only this: You must ..." - bogus capital Y.

"I've been able to translate some of this list of 'Heroic Deeds'" - more bogus capitals.

Updating clue after the first "heroic deed" - "When you returned, Augustine had learned more of the language by the translating Faathim's tasks." - bogus "the" before "translating". Augustine then asks me in the debrief "How would you all like to take a vist back to Fire Base Zulu?" - typo for "visit".

He then sends me back to see Dr. Boyd, who tells me "That's really the trick you see: Meaning." Bogus capital M, and comma wanted after "trick". "Monuments" is also spuriously capitalised in Boyd's dialogue. When I return to Boyd, he says "The Rularuu come up a great numer of times, in fact it appears that ..." - besides "number", this wants to be "times; in fact, it appears that ...". I wonder also if "give over your injuries to Faathim" was meant to be "injured", but I don't know.

After being sent to the Bastion of Shame, briefing for the next mission says "Faathim has given us some information about some 'Interlopers who wish only harm to the people of the Shadow Shard', end quote. Finding out who these 'Interlopers' are could be very important. Somehow I don't think an entity like Faathim is going to give out tasks like this for no reason." Capital I on interlopers (and the compass clue and debrief make this mistake too) and comma wanted after "Somehow". When we enter, popup says "You feel a dark chill, as if something tenous as a spirit was rushing past you" - presumably meant to be "something as tenuous as a spirit". NPC dialogue in mission says "We must prepare all of the... Components"; spurious capital C, missing full stop. Debrief asks "Why am I not suprised ...", typo for "surprised".

Investigate the Circle's activities in the Bastion of Guilt: briefing says "It also warns about 'Harm done to innocents'", bogus capital H. (And another "Interlopers", and another "Harm" in the contact's dialogue).

Bastion of Regret's verse, debrief and clue: "And Kindness new there would be no defiant haven of its hopes" - "knew". (Also, this isn't a typo, but it's odd that only now does Augustine start to wonder if Faathim might be part of the Rularuu. Did I forget to tell him "Oh, by the way, Faathim's a 100-metre tall flying bloke who dresses a bit like that Ruladak fellow I fought yesterday"?)

"Discover Circle plans", still Justin Augustine - "[NPC] Death Mage: This is a neccesity. The pain we cause shall be over soon". "Necessity".

By now I have a "Saga of Faathim" clue which reproduces many of the errors in the verse fragments above. (Also, oddly, it turns out Augustine translated every fragment completely correctly...)

Augustine tells me "We know that they were sacrificing shard natives to Demons in order to cross the dimensional barriers." Spurious capital on "Demons".

The Tome of Great Binding clue says "it's margins are covered in notes", and refers to "it's layout". Two for the price of one. It also has a missing capital in "Faathim the kind", which turns up as a bogus capital in "one conclusion: The Circle of Thorns".

Until now, the Circle Death Mage bosses in this taskforce have had names like "Arch-Mage of Agony?". In this penultimate mission, we meet the "Arch-Mage of Death". If there was an explanation for the question marks, or why they went away, I haven't seen it, and I've been reading the descriptions. (Also, I think they might be secretly EBs - they take a lot of killing.)

For the final mission, Augustine tells me "we can't let the circle gain control" - should be "Circle".

Last but not least, the souvenir tells me I "gained the Trust of Faathim the Kind". Should be "trust".

P2W vendor: Beast Run unleashes your "beastial" nature. It is spelled "bestial" these days.

In Port Oakes: "[NPC] Mook Hitman: My compare's in the hospital because of you. Let me return the favor, pal!"

I suspect this should be "compadre".

Number Six Incarnate Arc, Anti-Matter's Personal Story, intro text:

'He could care less about Neutropolis'

Should be 'He couldn't care less about Neutropolis'

Might be a common error, but it means the exact opposite of what is intended.  If he could care less, then he must care more than not at all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cinnder said:

Might be a common error, but it means the exact opposite of what is intended.  If he could care less, then he must care more than not at all.

AFAICT that is fairly conventional usage in American English, ugly and strange as the expression appears. It doesn't always help to look at the literal meaning of an idiom; the response to "How do you do?" is never "How do I do what?"

Lady of Storms badge, Storm Palace: "So few have come as far, so many have fallen in the attempt that you deserve to be recognized as a master ...": the comma should be an "and".

Eve of Destruction badge, Storm Palace: "You have suffered countless indignities, have had your body and mind abused and violated and the time of reckoning is here": insert a comma after "violated".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thunderforce said:

AFAICT that is fairly conventional usage in American English, ugly and strange as the expression appears. It doesn't always help to look at the literal meaning of an idiom; the response to "How do you do?" is never "How do I do what?"

Except it's not an idiom; it's just wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cinnder said:

Except it's not an idiom; it's just wrong.

Hate to say it, but prescriptivism died with the Victorians. When enough people say it, it's right.

Praetor White, at the end of his arc, says "We've got clockwork set on cutting through the cell doors to free the scientists they sealed in the labs below." "Clockwork" is capitalised, since it's the name of a group.

Chief Interrogator Washington's first mission: "Over the last few days Corporate CEOs have been winding up dead." Spurious capital on "corporate". "Thanks to the unique murder method; a mono-wire garrote" - semicolon should be a comma.

Second mission: "We're not waiting for the seers to report a disturbance, I want you to go in and bring him into our custody now, for his own protection." With a pleasing symmetry, the comma after "disturbance" should be a semicolon.

Back to SSTF #4, in Defeat Mother Mayhem and activate key: "[NPC] Warhulk: You will bow to Praetor Tilman" lacks a full stop or exclamation mark, and for some reason it's particularly jarring.

(Oddly, Mother Mayhem has her post-GR appearance, but Malaise does not.)

In a debrief after the 4th key (Hatred), Faathim says "They are wrong. Rularuu knows no allies but Rularuu. In their ignorance, these Rikti could present a great threat" - missing full stop. Then in the briefing he says "There is another presence in the Lock of Destruction, that worries me, but they Rikti will have the Key of Fury soon" - "they" should be "the". On entry, popup says "These caverns a silent, save for the faint hum of alien machinery" - "are silent", full stop.

After the 6th key (Destruction), Faathim says "The Key of Destrutction, and I believe also the Key of Madness have both been taken back to your world." "Destruction" is misspelled, and this is mispunctuated. Suggest "The Key of Destruction and, I believe, also the Key of Madness ...". Then "I fear that something is using them to it's own advantage, and could wreak havoc upon us all" - good old "its"/"it's" again.

In the next mission ("Find Key of Destruction"), "[NPC] Dr. Phorrester: You may destroy this body, but know that the Circle of Thorns already posses the last keystones!" - "posses" is misspelled, and this raises another question (albeit a bit out of scope for typos); the mission entry popup says "The shadows of Oranbega press in all around you." Now, at that point I had no idea I was doing anything but fighting Malta on a tech map - if the shadows of Oranbega do press in, shouldn't I find it slightly more remarkable? As it is, the popup reads a bit like me saying "huh, well, seems legit" when it's very suspicious.

You're sent to speak to Azuria, who mentioned the "Cirlce of Thorns" "possesing" scientists, surprise at "the things I forsee" (foresee), and that she "can not imagine why" (cannot).