Dream Control

Some of the talk about Illusion Controllers and a "Dream" power made me think of this... This is not a complete set, but just a few random ideas:

1) Sleep-Holds. What if the powerset had a bunch of Sleep powers, but each power had a condition that if the target was already asleep, the new power would add a Mag3 Hold? Call it "Sleep Paralysis"

2) Sleep Damage. Mind Controllers don't break their sleep effects with damage from the Sleep Power. Could we expand on that with "Dream Demon" pets whose attacks only deal damage to Sleeping Targets (With a damage condition), but cannot awaken Sleeping Targets?

• Like 6

In the metadata for the planned Utility Belt pool power set, there is a hint that they planned to add extended duration to some knockdowns so that when a creature fell over, it wouldn't stand back up for a few seconds. I wonder if you could exploit that in a Sleep set so that when the creature falls into Deep Sleep it falls over and stays there. That would prevent it from acting if the Sleep got interupted.

Even if we don't get this, a sister power to Arctic Air that causes Sleep + Stun would be very cool.  

I seem to have gone deaf for an evening after that thunderous sound.  🙂

I do like the idea of creatures needing to spend more time to get back up. I ... suspect it was discarded as being near perma-able in some cases. At the very least, if it were added, the time spent getting back up would likely need to be un-enhanceable.  Or you'd have a pair of Stormies using Gale alternating casts and leaving every single spawn utterly helpless for an entire TF.

That said, despite still recovering from Galaxy Brain's shout, it *would* provide a nice extra mechanic to make KB vs KD a tactical choice and sometimes wanting one vs the other.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

i dunno sleep seems kinda useless to me

Sleep is a situational power.  It's wonderful at the end of Posi 1 if you have your Friendly Neighborhood Mind Controller who can AE sleep the Shadow Team, and then you can pick them off one-by-one.  It buys you time if more groups are added than the team can handle.  Soloing, it, similar to Immobilize, is a form of control that EB's and AV's do not have special protection against.  This is *extremely* important for those few control sets that do not GET an immobilize. 

I'll agree that sleep is useless if you only play in high end teams that race around the map nuking every spawn to death in 2-4 seconds, but Sleep has it's uses in a variety of other situations.

1 hour ago, krj12 said:

I think they could make sleep more useful by turning it into a stun/disorient when the sleep is broken.

or if there were, again, tactical benefits for waking them up:

Sleep: Changed to the longest duration mez by default, but you can interrupt it.

Woken Up: If you interrupt sleep, you do have a bonus effect based on the power, such as bonus magnitude, bonus damage, bonus debuff, etc

• Like 1

Here's all the background I can find out about that extended knockdown power. I don't know if it originated with the original devs or the team that took over CoH afterward. The data appears in Pine's Hero Developer in a power that was named "Bolas."

I don't know how far they got with it or whether the effect actually works in game.

image.png.0819571939d8a85070e9722fac9212a5.png

image.png.6bf4b0c5191b07b7cd6645ac20583646.png

image.png.e71186f310db6a96c8c507b88cab3ce2.png

• Like 1

Idea: Add a drowsy effect - lasts slightly longer than the sleep. -Damage, -Attack Speed, Sleep becomes Hold.

This would help clarify the effect, perhaps.

• Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation