Increase the number of powers that can be placed in auto

DrRocket

At this time one can only set in auto a single power, which in the early days of the "Live" era was sufficient, and usually Hasten was the most favored one to put on auto queue.

As the game evolved, especially with the incarnate system, there is a strong desire to have a number of powers on auto, to allow th eplayer to actually focus and enjoy the game as opposed to be mechanics or click button oriented. This would be in my opinion a nice Quality of Life improvement.

A sample of powers that would be of interest to have on auto at the same time would be Hasten + Status Effect Protection (Scrapper builds) + Incarnate (Destiny)

I do realize that some scrapper secondaries provide the status protection defense as a toggle, but that is not all of them.

I researched, experimented with macros via the powexec_ (Auto, Toggle_On, Name) to try to get to non-interruptable/non toggle powers, but could not get the two powers to fire-off, also the macro icon could not be placed on auto, which also defeated the intent of the macro. Of course if anyone of you figured this, then please post what the command would be or how to accomplish the concept of putting on auto upto 3 non-toggle/non-interruptable powers, so I could very gratefully apply.

V/R

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

dude we already have people afk farming in AE missions, this suggestion would just proliferate robots

Good point, but farmers are (I think a small percentage of the population) and usually operate in their own AE world. As a whole, I really don't care if a person's sense of fun is leaving their alt doing their thing and be AFK. What I do care, are those people that are actually playing the content and enjoying the game with the folks they are playing it with and thus the suggestion to relieve the click-o-logy of essential powers which at times I tend to think should be toggles rather than buttons (I digress, that is another topic, my apologies)

As I said, I sought a QoL that would allow me to keep up with the needs of the team rather than staring at my power trays to rengage key powers as they refresh.

• Like 1

it is with great sadness i disagree, majority of LFG is full of people advertising DFB or AE this doesn't indicate a small portion of the population. 

the click powers that you believe should be toggles are built that way for a number of reasons

1. some people prefer clicks over toggles this is a preference issue

2. click style powers can be stacked while toggles cannot

3. toggles can be knocked off, click powers cannot

this doesnt make them superior just different, i also prefer toggles but i understand that some people dont.

HOWEVER; that being said i do find that a lot of new power systems require paying a large amount of attention to your powers bar. while they may be fun and innovative this makes for a less immersive experience. perhaps a new indicator could be created to show when a power is about to expire for example your char blinking or a 5 second countdown number over their head? so that we can spend more time fighting and less time looking at our powertray

• Like 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

I don't see how DFB is related to the discussion, it's popular for quicker early levels, not constant farming, and people certainly aren't going AFK in it. As long as there is still a limit to auto powers, such as only three at the same time, I think that would prevent complete autonomy while still being able to put all your desired powers on auto.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

tl;dr - Players got more lazy, even when the game craps out exp/influence while the numbers of min-maxing FOTM IO builds is so well understood and want it even easier.

Set Hasten on autofire. Done!

Set that Incarnate buff, DONE!

Set those click accolades. DONE!

Set that Time power Fade (which ever one is the defense, I can't remember) with Power Boost. Virtually Matrix Neo as your Def goes up to astronomical levels and you didn't have to think about it. DONE!

Its like the game is so well understood that you can plan out to make it easier with an IO build already, get those Incarnate powers to make the build solid, and you don't want to think about clicking a handful of powers to boost them if not less.

Also, being humans you should analyze the situation as it is and not set it up for the future cause again...its already easy.  I keep repeating that word "easy" cause as the OP says

6 hours ago, DrRocket said:

actually focus and enjoy the game

You are already focused and enjoying while crunching that Mids build.  Playing as is and slotting what comes up or planned without a IO set, in your mind you already know what you want.

As for click status protection, I would agree but not as an extra free click.  Its a stupid concept from live to "differentiate" since it interrupts you momentarily while fighting, not so much for power buffs like AM fired off before battle or an endurance drain power during battle.  Electricity armor set for melee has that cool knockback resistance power that is auto unless your feet leave the ground...how do they have that idea but not the primary 1 all in toggle/click the Live Devs where already using ? (I mean, a separate auto status protection with specific requirements to utilize it, not a forget on power as that toggle/click)

Instead of a click or freebie extra, separate the status protection into the various armors/defense toggles from the click and change that click to an auto to give a small bonus, like the armors give +4-6 max for each protection with the auto giving an extra 2 and some random resist/buff that fits the armor set. 

Making it easier to play by forgetting your powers aside from Hasten just dumbs down how easy HC version already vs Live is already.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

I'mma gotta /jranger this.

The number of auto-powers wasn't low because there weren't as many powers to make auto, they were low because there were plenty of powers to make auto, and that's not what the game was designed for.  If you really gotta do it, there are bind file setups for that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

it is with great sadness i disagree, majority of LFG is full of people advertising DFB or AE this doesn't indicate a small portion of the population

On which server? Certainly not the case for Reunion or Everlasting. 

As for the OP im not sure. Sure I could see it being useful for some Incarnate powers and those annoying clicky mez protections Shield gets but beyond that? 

2 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

tl;dr - Players got more lazy, even when the game craps out exp/influence while the numbers of min-maxing FOTM IO builds is so well understood and want it even easier.

Set Hasten on autofire. Done!

Set that Incarnate buff, DONE!

Set those click accolades. DONE!

Set that Time power Fade (which ever one is the defense, I can't remember) with Power Boost. Virtually Matrix Neo as your Def goes up to astronomical levels and you didn't have to think about it. DONE!

Its like the game is so well understood that you can plan out to make it easier with an IO build already, get those Incarnate powers to make the build solid, and you don't want to think about clicking a handful of powers to boost them if not less.

Also, being humans you should analyze the situation as it is and not set it up for the future cause again...its already easy.  I keep repeating that word "easy" cause as the OP says

You are already focused and enjoying while crunching that Mids build.  Playing as is and slotting what comes up or planned without a IO set, in your mind you already know what you want.

As for click status protection, I would agree but not as an extra free click.  Its a stupid concept from live to "differentiate" since it interrupts you momentarily while fighting, not so much for power buffs like AM fired off before battle or an endurance drain power during battle.  Electricity armor set for melee has that cool knockback resistance power that is auto unless your feet leave the ground...how do they have that idea but not the primary 1 all in toggle/click the Live Devs where already using ? (I mean, a separate auto status protection with specific requirements to utilize it, not a forget on power as that toggle/click)

Instead of a click or freebie extra, separate the status protection into the various armors/defense toggles from the click and change that click to an auto to give a small bonus, like the armors give +4-6 max for each protection with the auto giving an extra 2 and some random resist/buff that fits the armor set. 

Making it easier to play by forgetting your powers aside from Hasten just dumbs down how easy HC version already vs Live is already.

All this assumes that it takes any effort or skill whatsoever to click your buffs every two minutes. It doesn't. It's just annoying. Having them on auto doesn't lower the skill requirement at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

I'mma gotta /jranger this.

The number of auto-powers wasn't low because there weren't as many powers to make auto, they were low because there were plenty of powers to make auto, and that's not what the game was designed for.  If you really gotta do it, there are bind file setups for that.

So it's fine that you can go out of your way to bind more powers to auto but it's not fine to have that functionality easily accessible in the game?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thezanman said:

So it's fine that you can go out of your way to bind more powers to auto but it's not fine to have that functionality easily accessible in the game?

Yes.

Because you at least put in some minimal effort to create them in the first place, and using binds or macros to do it means you have to actually click things.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thezanman said:

The bind solutions are pretty imperfect, so at least people are giving that up.

6 minutes ago, Thezanman said:

All this assumes that it takes any effort or skill whatsoever to click your buffs every two minutes. It doesn't. It's just annoying. Having them on auto doesn't lower the skill requirement at all.

A core skill of CoH gameplay is splitting your attention.  Monitoring your health, your end, your power cooldowns, your status, whether you've been buffed or debuffed, etc.  The major way that this game adds challenge to actual play is to ask you to monitor one more thing.  You don't have to like that, but that is what the challenge mostly is, and having to notice your power is off cooldown and clicking it before your buff drops in the middle of battle is in fact an additional skill bar, and it is why we don't have more than one autopower.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, siolfir said:

Yes.

Because you at least put in some minimal effort to create them in the first place, and using binds or macros to do it means you have to actually click things.

So again, it's okay to press one button every 2 minutes for all your buffs, but not to just have them go off automatically? Also, it doesn't matter how much effort you went to to create the bind. That has no impact on the amount of skill you need to play the game.

Edited by Thezanman

9 minutes ago, Thezanman said:

Honestly, no, probably not.  It's probably not exactly "working as intended" that you can use bind trickery to pull this sort of thing off.  But that being broken is probably not an excuse to break things further.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carnifax said:

On which server? Certainly not the case for Reunion or Everlasting. 

As for the OP im not sure. Sure I could see it being useful for some Incarnate powers and those annoying clicky mez protections Shield gets but beyond that? 

Excelsior it's pretty much the ONLY thing on LFG  it's starting to get a little better but still about 50% of traffic on the channel is DFB or DIB

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

3 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

/jranger

this is getting ridiculous what next, I want my character to complete iTrials while I'm logged off?

Pfft some ego you have.

Your character isn't YOU

Why should they sit around all the time in para-limbo while you are logged off?

• Haha 1

Just now, Haijinx said:

Pfft some ego you have.

Your character isn't YOU

Why should they sit around all the time in para-limbo while you are logged off?

I'm actually pretty sure at least one of my characters actively hates me, maybe this is why?

• Haha 1

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!