Elder Scrolls Online?

Coin

So, massive Skyrim fan, love it to bits and did play the ESO at launch but stopped after the first month as I found it to be basically a single player game not what I wanted from a MMO.

There's been a lot of updates now though and new content and seems to be doing ok, so I'm tempted to give it another try

Anyone out there playing it regularly at all? Is it any good? And does the subscription give you access to all the expansions and DLC or do you need to buy them separately first?

I had the same impression, it was a single player game with some MMO elements grafted on.  I spend about a month playing it a couple of years ago and lost interest.  As a single player game I preferred Skyrim; as an MMO it was lacking.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

I was actually a GM for Elder Scrolls Online for 6 months starting at pre-Launch.  I got to play AND spend 7.5 hours a day dealing with tickets.  That was ... not fun.

I remember asking my Trainer, in class, during training, before we got on the floor ... "What are the plans to deal with gold sellers?"

The answer I got back was, to my mind, simply non-believable ... "We don't think we're going to have any problems with gold sellers."

spacer.png

By the afternoon of the FIRST DAY of Launch ... there was gold spam in public channels.

By the end of Launch Weekend (the game launched on a friday) ... there were bots farming.

By the end of the first week after launch ... the bots were using GM Codes (which had been leaked to the farmers) to do their farming.

By the end of the second week after launch ... the game was simply overrun with bots farming (and ruining the in-game economy).

The only thing that put a real dent in the game getting overrun by bots and farmers was ... the launch of Wildstar ... after which more than half the game population simply quit and left to go chase The New Hotness™.

My fellow GMs and I would joke about how ESO was launched so as to have a Paid Beta phase, because SO MUCH of the game was simply a bug ridden MESS ... even 6 months after launch the game was STILL a bug ridden mess, although some progress had been made by then (but not NEARLY enough!).  I also called it a Massively Singleplayer Online Roleplaying Game (MSORPG) because the game was just about as UNfriendly as possible for grouping, even though there were dungeons explicitly made and tuned for group content in EVERY zone of the game.

I was given a GM account to play at home (with instructions to NOT let on what my Day Job was as a GM for the game) and I played ESO right up until the company I was working for lost their contract (6 months after game launch) and most of us GMs lost our temp jobs ... and when that happened, the game account that I'd been given (with a 25 year lifetime subscription) was summarily canceled without notice or apology ... and I was like ... "Guess you just don't want me playing your game" ... and have just never looked back.

Since then, I've never felt any desire or motivation to ever play ESO ever again, even after it supposedly "got good" 2+ years or so after launch (making for quite the long Paid Beta period).  The game had a few things that were interesting about it, but mostly it was just a grindfest that followed the same rote story notes in every single zone, so it got kinda boring after a while.  Dunno what it's like to play now, but as I mentioned, I've got no real interest in playing it ever again.  I was a Player and a GM for 6 months starting from Launch.  That was enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I played for a while at launch.  Then it was changed so that sword and shield builds did very little damage, and I very quickly lost interest.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 2 weeks later

I continue to play this game. I was in closed beta and played at launch. It was not a perfect game but the beauty of the landscapes and the detail in the stories kept me involved.

The game is totally different now from launch. One Tamriel changed the game completely. Now you can go to any zone at any time. There is no level lock. The other updates including the current three chapters have made this game so much more fun. The next chapter looks like it will be the best one yet.

So yeah you probably think I'm just a fan-boy but I dont care to play an MMO if I am not enjoying myself. ESO is fun for me.

ww4.jpg

ww1.jpg

Edited by ThornRage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Haijinx said:

Every MMO seems to think *they* won't have a problem with gold farmers .. lol

Scary story Redlynne.

To put it mildly ... when I heard that answer, my brain went ...  spacer.png

There are times when I HATE being proven right.

That was YET ANOTHER one of them ...

• Haha 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• 2 months later

ESO has nothing to do with how late ES6 (which is in development) is.

ESO is run and managed by Zenimax, under Bethadesa's supervision. Bethadesa needs to do nearly nothing to keep it going.

ES6 is taking forever becuase Bethadesa has gone from great to garbage in the past couple years.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later
On 1/30/2020 at 7:28 PM, Haijinx said:

The reason I hate ESO is simple.

I've done everything I can with Skyrim ..

But ESO is basically why there has been no Sequel.

Seems to me that it is usually YEARS between Elder Scrolls games.