February 2020 Donations & Finances

Cipher

• City Council

Hey everyone!

I hope you have all been enjoying Page 4 of Issue 26! Your feedback, criticism, and bug reports for the patch have been invaluable and we greatly appreciate it.

This month we will be including the invoice that we recently received from our primary law firm for their services rendered through December 31st. Additionally, we have engaged another law firm that specializes in Delaware corporation law and non-profit conversions. The retainer fee for this firm is $1,000 and it will be paid using:

• $964 from our NPO reserve fund (you may recall that we collected this fund in the donation round for July of 2019, and it has been kept in reserve since that time)
  • $36 which will be included in the donation target for February

This first payment to the new firm is just a retainer, the total cost of working with them will likely be around $2,000 - $2,500 over the next few months.

I saw that some people were confused about what the bank withdraws on our PayPal screenshots were, so I wanted to clarify - withdraws to our bank are to pay our lawyers via wire transfer (lawyers don’t accept PayPal, because PayPal sucks*).

January 2020 Breakdown

Last month we accepted $5,160.23 in donations - $57.54 over our target for the month. Our Google Voice line cost increased to $12.69 per month and the security / administration software to $10.06 per month going forward.

Here is the breakdown of what the January funds went towards:

• $4,820.39 to OVH for our hosting
  • $148.20 to our lawyers for their services rendered from Sept. 30th to Nov. 8th
  • $96.00 for our Google G-Suite Business account
    • + $12.69 for Google Voice
  • $30.00 for our 1&1 IONOS domain & outbound email service
  • $10.00 for our Atlassian Jira Cloud instance (10-user)
  • $10.06 for security / administration software

image.png.8d2fceca33d18e4732514e74a4d0c4e5.png

February 2020

As previously stated, we received the next invoice from our primary law firm for their services rendered in December totaling $953.32; this will be paid in early February. Additionally, we will be adding $36 to the donation target for this month to combine with the NPO reserve fund to pay the retainer fee for the new firm that we are going to be working with. Finally, we still have $53.59 overrun from January which will be put towards this month’s donation target.

In total, the donation target for February 2020 is $5,914.87. Here is a breakdown of how the funds are allocated:

• $4,820.39 to OVH for our hosting
  • $953.32 to our lawyers for their services rendered in December
  • $108.69 for our Google G-Suite Business account
    • This includes the $12.69 Google Voice line
  • $36.00 (partial) for the retainer fee
  • $30.00 to 1&1 IONOS for domain services & outgoing email
  • $10.06 for the security / administration software
  • $10.00 for our Atlassian Jira Cloud instance (10-user)

Our donation system will be open as of the time of this post with a donation target of $5,914.87 and will automatically close once that target is met.

Thank you yet again for your continued support!

- The Homecoming Team

*An actual conversation with our lawyer:

Jimmy: Do you have a PayPal account?

Lawyer: <laughs> We’re a law firm, Jimmy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Mine is in.  It's amazing that with a target that sizable, and the window only having been open for a small amount of time, at this time it is already at 80%.  I've no doubt that the goal will be met in the next 30 minutes, or so; once again demonstrating the generosity of this community.

Edited by Abraxus

What was no more, is REBORN!

We have yet to make the donation window.  We're lucky if we can find the time to eeek out 2 or 3 hours per week to play but we'd love to be able to give something. I guess it's time to add a push alert to my phone!  Thanks for everything that you folks are doing!

I put in a lot, not as much as a $14.99/month subscription I'd have paid during the old days for access since April, but I did as much as I could afford.  I may be off work next month, too, so I can donate then, too, and catch up on what I think the game is worth to me.  I did the math, and the average (including me) was $27 (rounded up), and 231 people subscribed, in an hour we made the goal.  Woot!

Edited by LaRowen

• Jimmy unpinned this topic
2 minutes ago, Kendalls said:

Wow! Missed this by two whole days! 

Some kind of notification would be nice.

Hate I missed out on giving!

They do announce on their Discord, and here on the Forum.  Not sure what else they can do.  The donation window always opens on the last Saturday of the month, so all it takes is watching those sources on that day for the exact time. 😎🙂

• City Council
1 hour ago, Abraxus said:

The donation window always opens on the last Saturday of the month.

I've come to realise this isn't really apparent to our newer players - I've been meaning to do a short sticky in this board explaining how and when donations happen, but it's not really been a priority given how quickly each donation round fills.

• Like 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

I've come to realise this isn't really apparent to our newer players - I've been meaning to do a short sticky in this board explaining how and when donations happen, but it's not really been a priority given how quickly each donation round fills.

I can totally see your point about it being a lower priority, because with the level of generosity out there, the window closes in just over an hour.  But, if a simple sticky gives more folks the ability to contribute by way of having the information easily available to do so, it's probably worthwhile.  The donation window will still close quickly, and more folks might get the satisfaction of having helped.  As complaints go, not being able to give money is a pretty good one, but also one that is easier to address than most. 😉

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic