***WARNING!!!***

_NOPE_

Okay, here's what I'm starting to think... We need a "Player Site" separate from all of the other official groups' sites, where we can find:

• Personal space (your own CoH related web space maybe?)
  • Mods
  • Planners
  • Dev Tracker without ads
  • Onsite live chat
  • Post-Live Wiki for ALL of the various servers
  • File repository
  • CoH Resurgence news feed
  • Other misc CoH stuff I can't think of

Basically, I think we need *a* place that links to all of the other places, binds everything together, and allows players to also add their own content.

Now, I was hoping that place could be the Titan Network, but they've made it clear that they want their site to be a repository of the game "as it was", rather than as it is now and as it could be in the future.

What say you all, if we built a place that had all that stuff, would you make use of it? Or would it just be yet another site?

I'm out.

There goes the neighborhood...

Chatted with Bill Z Bubba the other night, amazing who's coming back.

Also blindly ran into folks I used to play with almost every day on Freedom (way back when). Was like old home week.

Welcome back PK.

I'm coming here... to Excelsior. I was on Halcyon, but then they decided to make it an EU server... so I need a new home, and I'm coming here. WATCH OUT!

Now, the rest of this thread will be just where I waste time while I'm at work when I should be working.

Hey... anyone remember that time when I was a moderator for like... five minutes, before the forums were reset?

VtLy4VG.png

Yeah, they'll probably never make THAT mistake again... los3Hmo.gif

Oh no...  :D

FYI for anyone that's curious... I just registered a domain and paid for a three year hosting plan that includes SQL Server and ASP.NET... so, my tools should start to be up in a central location without advertising... Soon™.

I'm out.

So, I put up a "beta" Wordpress site, because I'm no artist, used Paint to create a dumb looking logo, just to have a place to centralize all of my stuff. I now own the domain "CityOfPlayers" for the next decade, and I'm frankly SHOCKED that nobody else had already taken the name:

tvGqMdU.png

Trust me, it *WILL* get better. Right now, I'm just trying to make it functional. I'll worry more about making it pretty later. I'm going to be moving the Dev Tracker onto this server Soon™, as soon as I can figure out how to get the script to NOT timeout on the server... for some reason it always times out there, but doesn't timeout on that free server... WEIRD.

I'm out.

Aaaannnd.... some recent change of some sort just broke the Dev Tracker... it looks like for some reason the DTD document doesn't load to deserialize the XML elements anymore... it always times out... I've spent the better part of four hours monkeying with it and trying to get it to work without success...

bpiuZI4.gif

If only the Homecoming peeps would give me read-only access to query the SMF's SQL database....  Dn8MaeB.gif

I'm out.

I fixed the glitch, and the Dev Tracker now has a new home, on my own personal website... no ADS!

http://www.cityofplayers.com/DevTracker/

More information: The issue was that I was stupidly parsing the forum pages as XML/HTML5, and the MOMENT that a dev used a tag that was deprecated/incompatible with XML/HTML5 (in this case, it was the <li> tag's deprecated "type" attribute), it broke the whole thing. I resolved this by using old-school HTML parsing with the HTML Agility Pack, rather than using XML Parsing. O5khXA8.gif

I'm out.

Thanks for the follow up PK!  I was so happy to be able to skim the dev's comments

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Hey... anyone remember that time when I was a moderator for like... five minutes, before the forums were reset?

I remember that.  It was awful.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I now own the domain "CityOfPlayers" for the next decade

I almost started my own site up too and unbelievably CityOfBuilds.net was available. >_>

That said, http://www.cityofplayers.com/DevTracker/  is not loading for me at the moment. Site not found.

Turn off Stealth, Phil.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

It's weird, your new site is still not loading for me. I'm getting Server Not Found error on work's network. Let's just say it's a maaaaajor network but we're not locked down in any way that I know of. So it may be the domain registration has not gotten into our system yet. That seems very weird after this many days.

Your site loads fine on my phone (TMobile network).

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

It's weird, your new site is still not loading for me. I'm getting Server Not Found error on work's network. Let's just say it's a maaaaajor network but we're not locked down in any way that I know of. So it may be the domain registration has not gotten into our system yet. That seems very weird after this many days.

Your site loads fine on my phone (TMobile network).

Does CityOfPlayers.com load, but the Dev Tracker doesn't? Or does neither load? Because those are sort of two separate problems.

I'm out.

For what it's worth, I can confirm the Dev Tracker is up and live on my PC.  I realize that doesn't mean there isn't some propagation configuration issue elsewhere...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Yeah. I'm having an issue with it loading.

Because there is a city in the Midwest that is continually threatened by a silver backed gorilla and is protected by a man who can run faster than the speed of light.

Yeah. I'm having an issue with it loading.

It is really, really slow loading...But it always has been.  PK's working on a fix for that...

I've added Captain Powerhouse to the dev list, because he was missing. It'll be nice when I can create that list automatically rather than manually, but until I can figure out how to pass credentials to the forums in code.... it's going to be manual.

I'm out.

No, cityofplayers.com is unreachable at work on my academic backbone connection.

On firefox it took about 30 seconds to conk out and I saw in the corner it was doing lookups the whole time and finally gave up and said it was unreachable. On chrome it gave up after 10 seconds and spat out:

This site can’t be reached www.cityofplayers.com’s server IP address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

No, cityofplayers.com is unreachable at work on my academic backbone connection.

On firefox it took about 30 seconds to conk out and I saw in the corner it was doing lookups the whole time and finally gave up and said it was unreachable. On chrome it gave up after 10 seconds and spat out:

This site can’t be reached www.cityofplayers.com’s server IP address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Ah, it looks like that issue is on your end, try the steps here:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-dns-probe-finished-nxdomain-chrome/

I'm out.