Offline Map Viewer

I created a basic offline HTML map viewer a while back for personal use, but I thought it might be useful to the community at large. There are three viewers available:

1. One that includes the VidiotMap image files available from the Homecoming Wiki, as well as any maps that were updated and/or new zones that are included in Blondeshell's MoreMaps4U update pack and my vidiotmaps updates.
  2. One that includes the optimal collection paths for badges and plaques, computed as solutions to travelling salesperson problems (TSP) and based on the most recent vidiotmaps.
  3. One that includes the Halloween event giant monster spawn maps and the winter event gift maps that I created.

The zip files are available at the links below:
CoH Zone Maps

CoH TSP Maps

CoH Event Maps

The folder inside each zip file contains all the needed files. Simply save that folder to your location of choice.

• To use the zone maps, simply open either map_alpha.html or map_grouped.html in your browser of choice.
  • To use the TSP (optimal badge/plaque collection path) maps, simply open either tsp_alpha.html or tsp_grouped.html in your browser of choice.
  • To use the event maps, simple open either halloween_alpha.html or winter_alpha.html in your browser of choice.

Each viewer has a large black button at the top (see the screenshot below).

• The button in the zone map viewer allows you to switch between alphabetized maps and maps grouped by zone type.
  • The button in the TSP map viewer allows you to switch between alphabetized maps and maps grouped by zone type.
  • The button in the event map viewer allows you to switch between the Halloween and Winter event maps (with zone names displayed alphabetically).

For the zone map viewer, zones whose maps have been updated for Homecoming servers (i.e. the maps available in the vidiotmaps for Homecoming updates) will show the updated map above the older ParagonWiki version of the map. Keep in mind that the older maps from ParagonWiki may not be 100% accurate (especially in terms of badge/plaque locations) and are included for historical reference. Other zones that have remained relatively unchanged on Homecoming will only display the ParagonWiki map. The badge/plaque locations on these maps should be reliable but do keep in mind that these maps may not be 100% accurate either.

The TSP map view uses the most recent available vidiotmaps map. The winter event and Halloween event maps utilize the stock in-game maps.

I am not a web designer so don't expect too much in terms of the HTML interface. I learned enough HTML and CSS code to make it functional and relatively nice looking, and it's worked well enough for my purposes. If anyone would like to expand upon it, feel free.

Credit goes to Blondeshell and anyone/everyone that worked on VidiotMaps in general. Here's a preview of what the zone map viewer looks like on my phone:

offline_screenshot.thumb.png.f17954d46cd5e70a5c98d1d19e3e4035.png

Edited by AboveTheChemist
updated maps and post text
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 6 months later
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 4:43 PM, The Philotic Knight said:

*snort, grumble* HEY! I was sleeping here! What the hell do YOU want @WanderingAries??? I need my bunk time! *flops back down and faces the other way*

I was Thinking that if this was setup as readable online, then it would be a neat thing one could use on say their tablet while playing.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

8 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

I was Thinking that if this was setup as readable online, then it would be a neat thing one could use on say their tablet while playing.

I've never owned a tablet, but would a tablet not read locally saved map files? The point of this viewer is that all the maps are saved locally and wouldn't need to be pulled from the internet. That's how I use it, anyway, to view the maps on my phone.

That being said, if someone wants to use it to make an online viewer, feel free. All the map files should now be available on the HC wiki, as I am fairly certain I uploaded them all.

12 minutes ago, AboveTheChemist said:

I've never owned a tablet, but would a tablet not read locally saved map files? The point of this viewer is that all the maps are saved locally and wouldn't need to be pulled from the internet. That's how I use it, anyway, to view the maps on my phone.

That being said, if someone wants to use it to make an online viewer, feel free. All the map files should now be available on the HC wiki, as I am fairly certain I uploaded them all.

I'm sure it could for those that know how (and have a compatible platform), but the online viewer would lend towards our (?) goal of universal/easy to use tools. I just happen to have more time to read the forum for once, so ideas are spilling out of my head. It's good work though. :p

Edited by WanderingAries

2 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

I'm sure it could for those that know how (and have a compatible platform), but the online viewer would lend towards our (?) goal of universal/easy to use tools.

The only "know how" required is unzipping a zip file, and opening a file in your preferred web browser. That's about as universal and easy to use as it can get.

All one would need to do to covert it to an online viewer is replace the local image references with their respective URLs from the HC wiki. As I noted, though, the intent of this viewer is to be able to view the maps without internet access, so making it an online viewer defeats the purpose I intended for this tool. Knock yourself out, though, if that's what you prefer.

5 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

The only "know how" required is unzipping a zip file, and opening a file in your preferred web browser. That's about as universal and easy to use as it can get.

All one would need to do to covert it to an online viewer is replace the local image references with their respective URLs from the HC wiki. As I noted, though, the intent of this viewer is to be able to view the maps without internet access, so making it an online viewer defeats the purpose I intended for this tool. Knock yourself out, though, if that's what you prefer.

True enough, the original intent is understood/appreciated. You'd be surprised, though, how many have issue with what some of us see as simpler, hence why some of these threads are longer than they should be.

Seasonal bump for those that might like an offline map viewer for hunting giant monsters during the Halloween event. See the top post for more details.

• 1 month later

Another seasonal bump for those that might like an offline map viewer for hunting presents during the Winter event. See the top post for more details.

I've also updated the datasets to account for a few minor typos and other errors, and to correct the Siren's Call map, which was rotated 90 degrees in Issue 27. The vidiot maps version of Siren's Call was updated more professionally, but the event maps versions were simply rotated by me so the text and icons were rotated as well. It's not perfect but it's the best I could do for now as I didn't originally create those maps. All the Siren's Calls fixes should be considered temporary, pending official update, but I have no idea when that might happen. I'll update the datasets if/when it does happen.

updates

• 2 months later

I've made a few updates since my last post.

In the CoH Zone Maps zip file (which contains the VidiotMaps), I updated the Siren's Call, Warburg, and Kallisti Wharf maps as detailed in this post.

In the CoH TSP Maps zip file (which contain VidiotMaps with my optimal badge/plaque collection paths overlays), I updated some maps for the following reasons:

• Minor path adjustment to account for zone corners in: Dark Astoria, Port Oakes, Recluse's Victory
  • Minor path adjustment to account for badge under tree canopy: The Hive
  • Path changes to account for updated badge/plaque locations in: Brickstown, Founders' Falls, Nova Praetoria

The data in the links in the top post have been updated, so please visit those links for the updated data.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later

I have updated the CoH Zone Maps as follows:

• updated Perez Park map as detailed in this post
  • updated Abandoned Sewer Network map as detailed in this post
  • updated Pocket D and Kings Row maps and added Echo Plaza map as detailed in this post
  • I also added and removed a few files so I recommend deleting all the files from the old CoH Zone Maps installation and replacing them with the new files from the zip archive

I have updated the CoH TSP Maps as follows:

• updated all maps such that, in most cases, existing map symbols will no longer be obscured by connecting lines and halos
  • improved path location on some maps
  • adjusted halo color for a few badges/plaques to more accurately reflect their location
  • other minor fixes/adjustments as necessary

The data in the links in the top post have been updated, so please visit those links for the updated data.

Update June 28, 2021 - updated the CoH Zone Maps and CoH TSP Maps to account for the latest updates to vidiotmaps

june 28 update

• 5 months later

I have updated the CoH Event Maps as follows:

• replaced all winter event maps from others with maps of my own making (as detailed in this post, which contains in-game versions of these maps)

The data link in the top post has been updated, so please visit that link for the updated data. Users can safely delete the previous versions of the winter event maps (whose filenames begin with the 'Holiday_Gifts_' prefix) from their installation, as the new images use a slightly different naming convention.

Since my previous post, I adjusted the cropping slightly on some of the maps, so for anyone that has downloaded the maps since my last post (6 hours or so ago), you may want to download it again. The map contents didn't change, but some of the maps are cropped a bit more effectively now.

I've also made all these maps available on the winter gifts wiki page for anyone that wants to access them that way.

• 2 weeks later

I've updated the Zone Maps and TSP maps in the top post above, to account for recent changes to a few of the maps in each mod. If updating the Zone Maps, I recommend deleting the previous install and starting fresh with the downloaded files. Updating the TSP maps can simply be done by overwriting the existing install with the downloaded files.

Now that the Winter event is underway, don't forget that a complete set of winter gift maps is available as well. My previous two posts have more information, and the data is available in the top post.

I've updated all three sets of maps in the top post above. Several vidiotmaps and TSP maps were updated for the recent i27p4 update. A few winter maps were updated, and I generated my own (nearly) complete set of Halloween GM spawn maps to replace the previous Halloween maps. I would recommend a complete uninstall/reinstall of all three sets of maps.

The Kallisti Wharf and Echo: Atlas Park Halloween GM maps are placeholders that I hope to update once I complete data collection during the Halloween event.

If anyone notices any issues please let me know!

• 4 weeks later

I've updated the event maps in the top post above. I would recommend a complete uninstall/reinstall of the event maps.

Specifically, I added a Halloween GM spawn map for Kallisti Wharf after locating what I think are all the possible GM spawn points. I removed the Halloween GM spawn maps for Echo: Atlas Park, Echo: Faultline, Echo: Galaxy City, Echo: Rikti Crash Site, and Night Ward after searching each of these zones repeatedly without finding any Halloween GMs.

I've updated the event maps in the top post above. Specifically, I updated the Atlas Park Halloween GM map after discovering that it was out of date. It should be sufficient to copy the 'halloween_atlas_park.png' from the zip file linked above to your local install and overwrite the old file. A complete reinstall should not be necessary.