Battlestar Galactica

Just started this so we have a place separate from the Star Trek and Stargate Topics to discuss BSG. Did People hear there is a kind of " Non Reboot " Reboot coming. It will I guess be a series set in the BSG Universe but with new characters and stories.

Battlestar Galactica on NBC

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I actually never made it past season 2 and I can't remember why. Think I just got sidetracked and never went back to it, and by the time I had time freed up I'd heard a lot of people hated the later seasons and that soured me on watching it. I was actually thinking about the show yesterday though, I wouldn't mind rewatching to see how it's held up.

@Hissatsuman, you can mainly find me on Everlasting!

40 minutes ago, Dreamboat said:

I actually never made it past season 2 and I can't remember why. Think I just got sidetracked and never went back to it, and by the time I had time freed up I'd heard a lot of people hated the later seasons and that soured me on watching it. I was actually thinking about the show yesterday though, I wouldn't mind rewatching to see how it's held up.

IMO they should have moved the episode with the constant jumping every so often to the end of season 2.

Then just ended the series. 

It would have been.  "Well at least they probably got a little breathing room finally." 

"Resolving" the series was never necessary.  Resolving it the way they did was just stupid.  

Don't forget to watch things like Caprica before the BSG reboot. Explains a bit and those side flicks fill some story as well.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

On 2/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, WanderingAries said:

Don't forget to watch things like Caprica before the BSG reboot. Explains a bit and those side flicks fill some story as well.

Yeah... but some things were better left unexplained.  

I hope the new shows give us more space opera and less soap opera.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

• City Council
10 hours ago, Haijinx said:

To those people who actually like *cough* season 3+,

Did you watch the old show first or the new show first?

I wonder if its like the Star Wars Prequels. 

Uh, do you mean the show from the 70s vs. the reboot, or S1+2 vs. S3+4? The original, after all, was heavily influenced by Mormonism, so I don't think that's the argument you're making...

• Like 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

No I was just curious if affinity for season 3+ was higher amongst people who first watched the reboot.  

And possibly whether my loathing of 3+ may be related partially to nostalgic factors of first watching the 70s version.

Though tbh how people can like the whole hidden cylons who didn't know they were cylons and the other cylons didn't even know they were cylons ...  boggles my mind

Then add that Earth isn't Earth but an earlier practically prehistoric but also spacefaring cylon planet of more advanced cylons that nuked themselves ..

Its just .. stupid. 

====

Compared to the fairly compelling Narrative of an AI rebellion and the Rag Tag Fugitive fleet.   

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 2:09 PM, Haijinx said:

To those people who actually like *cough* season 3+,

Did you watch the old show first or the new show first?

I wonder if its like the Star Wars Prequels. 

Some of it, but then I Prime shipped All-of-it and now have it binder storted it accordingly for when I Do watch it. :D

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:07 AM, GM Widower said:

Uh, do you mean the show from the 70s vs. the reboot, or S1+2 vs. S3+4? The original, after all, was heavily influenced by Mormonism, so I don't think that's the argument you're making...

Considering it's a remake and not prequel like, unless they're talking about Caprica...either way, the tone of the classic BSG is Way different.

• City Council
8 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Considering it's a remake and not prequel like, unless they're talking about Caprica...either way, the tone of the classic BSG is Way different.

Well, yeah. Consider this; in the original, after the colonies are destroyed, they go to Space Vegas. In the reimagined series, they go to a munitions depot.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

2 hours ago, GM Widower said:

Well, yeah. Consider this; in the original, after the colonies are destroyed, they go to Space Vegas. In the reimagined series, they go to a munitions depot.

I think the Reboot was better than the original 

-BUT- 

When they veered from the fleet on the run though, it just felt like they were abandoning the premise of the show.   Then .. to make things worse there was the final 5 and so on etc.  

I think those first 2 seasons of the reboot were brilliant.  

It was like they abandoned internal consistency for whatever reason. 

Happens in a lot of Franchises.   Some of the most horrible examples are in Comic books. 

The quote by the Show Creator was something ridiculous like "Its not about the Story, its about the Characters."

17 hours ago, GM Widower said:

Mmmm, Space Vegas

(plz ignore the idiot title)

• 2 weeks later

Slightly related:

• 2 months later
On 2/26/2020 at 1:14 AM, WanderingAries said:

Mmmm, Space Vegas

(plz ignore the idiot title)

I was a fan of both Buck Rogers and the original Battlestar Galactica back in the day.

Colonel Deering is still awesome, and Erin Grey has aged well.

I got to meet Dirk Benedict at Dutch Comic Con a few years ago, not much chance seeing people like that over here in Europe.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png